Second battery question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:56 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Second battery question.

Hi,

I want to install a larger sub enclosure in the spare wheel well. I have managed to design and fabricate an enclosure that will fit in wheel well perfectly. The only problem is that I need to relocate the second battery. I was thinking of replacing the Factory Spec second battery with a Optima Gel Battery. For to reasons, 1. because the Optimas are a lot smaller and 2. because they are sealed and spill proof. I found a spot in the trunk by the driver side wheel well. There is a compartment (opposite of where the factory CD changer is located) that is void of components and will accommodate a battery. what is your opinion? Can I use a Optima battery? Does the second battery have to be the same spec as the Starter battery? What is the power rating of both batteries? Any help and or comments would be appreciated.

All the best,

Sami@optiline.com
Old 02-24-2004, 11:11 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

To add a larger subwoofer, get rid of the second battery. It is not required. Don't put unnecessary extra effort into mounting a second battery. Instead, just figure the changes to convert the vehicle, from two batteries, to one.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

Thats plan "B". I would rather have the second battery since I will be adding an amplifier, thus increasing the total current draw.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:01 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by wingless
To add a larger subwoofer, get rid of the second battery. It is not required. Don't put unnecessary extra effort into mounting a second battery. Instead, just figure the changes to convert the vehicle, from two batteries, to one.
Single battery Peppers have had dead batteries due to draw when ignition is off. I have one battery and I had problems. My preference now would be two batteries. I was ignorant of the "heavy draw". I have reoriented some habits & haven't had any more problems.

I don't think any heavier use of the electrical system (larger woofer) has any impact on the two battey issue. The alternator would handle the extra load when running. The problems arise when the alternator is not feeding juice to the batteries and you have componants drawing.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:49 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by Torags
Single battery Peppers have had dead batteries due to draw when ignition is off. I have one battery and I had problems. My preference now would be two batteries. I was ignorant of the "heavy draw". I have reoriented some habits & haven't had any more problems.
The negative impact, on vehicle dynamics, from relocating a heavy mass, from low at the centerline, to high at the periphery, should be considered.

The task of securely mounting a heavy mass, within that storage compartment, is not trivial.

The increased voltage drop, from extending the cables and adding connections, reduces the benefit of this project.

So, my recommendation remains, if a larger subwoofer is required, so the oompa loompa from the Polka music must be FELT, then lose the second battery. Plug it in, if it has to sit for weeks.

In fact, it may be that a swap could occur, to minimize the costs. There may be an owner, without a spare tire, without a second battery, that has the large subwoofer, that wants to swap components.

BTW, it may be that the vehicle needs to be informed to the presence or absence of a second battery, for proper operation.

Quick Reply: Second battery question.