Sponsored by:

Battery Generator Warning Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Greg Morey
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Generator Warning Issue

Greetings - I am a newbie to this forum, and am not sure about protocol so I'll just describe my problem and perhaps if you've had this too, would love to get some help.

I have had my 2006 Cayenne S Titanium for 7 years now - it's my wife's daily driver until the issue came up so yes - I am milking the opportunity to drive it a little bit. The Battery Generator Warning Light came on 3 days ago after I finished up a Tune up. It was weird as the test drive after was exceptional and we didn;t do anything different. I went into a store and came back out and that was the first time the warning light came on. I took it home to research the issue, went back out and would not crank all the way over - thank God the locks worked! No brainer - that's a Dead battery. I had never replaced it in this vehicle which now has 156k miles on it, so I went through the "Under The Seat" change out experience and added a new set of Torx and Triple Square tool bits to the collection!

I put the new battery in and like a few others, first start of the day is fine - runs great. The moment I grab morning coffee, get back in, start it up that warning indicator comes on and Volts drop to 12. I have read some guys started replacing alternator parts and that didn't work it was a n Exciter Wire(?) I did have the car apart under the hood for the tune up and headlight bulb changes - wondering if I knocked something somewhere. Since I have a new battery under warranty that's keeping the truck on the road, thought I might start tracing the issue and ask for a little guidance. One other bit of info - for a brief few seconds this orning, before the Battery Generator Warning came on, there was a Battery Disconnect Switch shout off warning. It went away and could be cleared.

Several others also with driving an "S" point to that "Exciter wire". I really do not know what an "Exciter wire" is or where it begins or ends. Does anyone have a pic of an Exciter wire connection or can you please give me a hint on where I could start to find it?

Also - not sure some of the threads were complete - has anyone actually found a fix for the Battery Generator Warning light issue yet?
Old 07-14-2020, 09:07 PM
Shellyfr
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Morey
Greetings - I am a newbie to this forum, and am not sure about protocol so I'll just describe my problem and perhaps if you've had this too, would love to get some help.

I have had my 2006 Cayenne S Titanium for 7 years now - it's my wife's daily driver until the issue came up so yes - I am milking the opportunity to drive it a little bit. The Battery Generator Warning Light came on 3 days ago after I finished up a Tune up. It was weird as the test drive after was exceptional and we didn;t do anything different. I went into a store and came back out and that was the first time the warning light came on. I took it home to research the issue, went back out and would not crank all the way over - thank God the locks worked! No brainer - that's a Dead battery. I had never replaced it in this vehicle which now has 156k miles on it, so I went through the "Under The Seat" change out experience and added a new set of Torx and Triple Square tool bits to the collection!

I put the new battery in and like a few others, first start of the day is fine - runs great. The moment I grab morning coffee, get back in, start it up that warning indicator comes on and Volts drop to 12. I have read some guys started replacing alternator parts and that didn't work it was a n Exciter Wire(?) I did have the car apart under the hood for the tune up and headlight bulb changes - wondering if I knocked something somewhere. Since I have a new battery under warranty that's keeping the truck on the road, thought I might start tracing the issue and ask for a little guidance. One other bit of info - for a brief few seconds this orning, before the Battery Generator Warning came on, there was a Battery Disconnect Switch shout off warning. It went away and could be cleared.

Several others also with driving an "S" point to that "Exciter wire". I really do not know what an "Exciter wire" is or where it begins or ends. Does anyone have a pic of an Exciter wire connection or can you please give me a hint on where I could start to find it?

Also - not sure some of the threads were complete - has anyone actually found a fix for the Battery Generator Warning light issue yet?
Please let me know if you found a solution-I’ve been dealing w this over 2 years. 2 new alternators in, wiring harness, and even the starter-problem is still there
Old 11-10-2021, 04:47 AM
Kansalag
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shellyfr
Please let me know if you found a solution-I’ve been dealing w this over 2 years. 2 new alternators in, wiring harness, and even the starter-problem is still there
I had the same issue as you, I was able to disconnect my exciter wire and have my Cayenne mostly run normal. Never had to worry about that battery generator light again. But then I read somewhere that it may be a bad ignition coil, so I replaced them all and plugged exciter wire back in. All my problems were solved. Also, did your “tune up” consist of changing some or all of your ignition coils? If so it is mostly likely your issue. There are many counterfeit or just wrong coils out there on the market that advertising that they are correct. I bought bad beru coils the first time…

Last edited by Kansalag; 11-10-2021 at 04:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kansalag:
thesteve (11-10-2021), v10rick (11-10-2021)
Old 03-20-2022, 03:51 PM
dutch55
5th Gear

The WARNING BATTERY GENERATOR error appeared on way home a few minutes from repair shop after coils were replaced. I removed and tested battery, which was a 55% charge but after trickle charging overnight to full charge and reinstalled. No codes on first drive, but shutting off, restarting, message reappeared. I have not done anything further yet. I do not know what brand coil packs repair shop used.
Old 03-20-2022, 06:26 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dutch55
The WARNING BATTERY GENERATOR error appeared on way home a few minutes from repair shop after coils were replaced. I removed and tested battery, which was a 55% charge but after trickle charging overnight to full charge and reinstalled. No codes on first drive, but shutting off, restarting, message reappeared. I have not done anything further yet. I do not know what brand coil packs repair shop used.
Defective coils have been known to cause battery charging issues.
New coils do not necessarily mean good coils.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:40 PM
dutch55
5th Gear

I am highly appreciative of the contributors to the Rennlist forums on this topic.

Replacing the Beru coil packs the shop I use had just installed with genuine Porsche ones eliminated the BATTERY GENERATOR ERROR fault that started occurring after the vehicle was warm. The independent shop I use services a number of Cayennes but had not seen this problem before.

Full details: The original coil packs had been replaced under a Porsche recall. At about 100K miles the same independent shop had replaced two coil packs with Beru ones, and the car worked fine for 3 years. This time, it was in for service because of an engine miss and fault codes indicating coil pack issues. They replaced 2 of the Porsche coil packs that were failing, and I authorized them to replace all 6 of the Porsche ones. Car drove fine at first, but generated the battery generator fault driving home. Based on posts on Rennlist, including more on this issue under the topic of removing exciter wire, the shop replaced all 8 with genuine Porsche parts, Their first tentative conclusion was, naturally enough, an alternator failure. They service a number of Cayennes, but this was the first time they encountered this problem.

Quick Reply: Battery Generator Warning Issue