Sponsored by:

Looks like I may have to eat crow tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 05:01 PM
RDCIII
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks like I may have to eat crow tonight

The time before last when I had my S in for service, I gave the service advisor a laundry list of some minor issues but complained that the vehicle had a low frequency hum was vibrating/steering wheel shimmying/drifting at an unacceptable level. The guy rolled his eyes back in his head and said I was the only person to date to have this complaint. Over a week later, I received the vehicle back and was told that a wheel balanced cured the problem. I picked the vehicle up and immediately noticed that the problem was not cured nor were all my complaints addressed. I was irate. Clearly, they didn’t even test drive the car. I called the dealer next day to complain and was told they couldn’t find anything wrong. Well, when the J.D Power quality survey can in the mail a week later, I hammered the **** out of them. I said the service was inept and the service advisor was arrogant and condescending. Two weeks later and unsolicited, I received a call from a very humble service manager. He told me he would handle my problems personally. I then took the service manager for a drive and he too was taken back by the amount of vibrating/steering wheel shimmying/drifting this vehicle exhibited. On Friday, one week after I dropped it off, I received a call stating all my problems have been taken care of except the vibrating/steering wheel shimmying/drifting. When I went to pick up the vehicle the service manager made a point to talk to me. He told me that they had performed an alignment but didn’t find the wheels that far out of alignment. Particularly for the amount of the problem. He then said he had the wheels balanced again. This time, with the service manager being involved, he said that one of the wheels took over 2oz to balance and that was far too much for any tire. The service manager then call in the local/regional Continental tire rep (I have 18” M+S Conti’s). It now appears that I have at least two tires out of round. The service manager and tire rep are now floating a theory that while the tires come into the country fully inflated (45psi) they are deflated at the dealers to the designed driving level where they might sit for a long time sit causing a flat spot.
Unfortunately, I have to wait 10 days to 2 weeks for the tires to see if indeed this solves the problem. Continental is out of stock of these tires in this country.
Anyhow, if it is the tires, I apologize to Porsche in advance for my bashing. Let it not be said that I don’t admit to my mistakes. Well, perhaps happy days are just are just two weeks away. Lets hope anyway.

A list of my past (that I can remember) and believe it or not, most were considered high mileage when I got rid of them:

2004 Porsche Cayenne S
2003 BMW X5 3.0i
2000 Range Rover 4.0SE
2000 BMW 528
1999 BMW M3
1997 Land Rover D90 Station Wagon
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1995 Ducati 916 (tuned by Ferracci – the nastiest motorized vehicle I’ve ever owned)
1995 Land Rover Discovery
1993 Ducati 750 SS (tuned by Ferracci)
1994 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
1990 Ford F-250
1989 Porsche 944T (purchased used in 1998)
1989 BMW M3
1989 Corvette Convertible
1987 Nissan Pathfinder
1987 BMW 325I
1986 Audi 4000
1985 Pontiac Grand Prix
1984 VW Cabriolet Convertible
1983 Alfa Romeo Spider
1979 Toyota Corolla
1976 Oldsmobile Starfighter
1973 Opel GT (purchased used in 1975)
Old 02-22-2004, 05:16 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

good luck in ur situation.... you have to play hard with them inorder to get what you want!!
Old 02-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

Your problems are far from over.....sorry to say.....what about the arrogant, could care less service advisor.....have they taken him out back to be shot ?What will be your fate for the remainder of your 4 year warranty ?
Old 02-23-2004, 12:33 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

I'm glad to hear that the poor review was able to spur you service advisor to the level of service and treatment you should have gotten in the first place. I don't think you need to eat crow...your Porsche dealership should be. Good luck with everything. If you're patient, I think that you'll eventually feel the passion that happy Cayenne owners have. You'll be "crowing" the virtues of the C. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Looks like I may have to eat crow tonight