Sponsored by:

Looking for some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 12:43 AM
Burnt McGurnt
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for some pointers

I'm still learning about my new-to-me 2010 GTS and have been kicking around some ideas without resolve. I would appreciate your advice, experiences, or just your $0.02 on whether you think good/bad/it's been done before and where you think you saw it posted:
  • Engine management for tuning, diagnostics. Durametrics is ok for diagnostics and making a few selectable adjustments but generally is pretty weak (if looking from a Japanese import tuner's perspective from 10yrs ago) and the Ebay OBDII style's leave even more to be desired. i have only seen one EM that they would send general tunes for whatever mods you had completed. What gives- are cayenne ECUs open or closed source?
  • Other than the factory settings and selections, is there a way to control the differentials and
    • send more power bias fore or aft?
    • Lock/ unlock selectively?
    • Any aftermarket/oem-sourceable controllers from some other platform's special edition model which did?
  • The air compressor will not pressurize the tank unless the engine is running. The simplest resolve may be to use a patch hose and an external compressor to temporarily recharge the system when possible for suspension height adjustment during repairs. Has anyone tried alternatively powering the onboard compressor so it has power? The key would be in the same "Run" position - what's actually preventing it from turning itself on at low pressure and no engine rpm's? This may be a Q for the Touareg forums as It would be a nice option for offroad and camping use.

Thanks all for the replies.

Last edited by Burnt McGurnt; 08-24-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:43 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt McGurnt
  • The air compressor will not pressurize the tank unless the engine is running. The simplest resolve may be to use a patch hose and an external compressor to temporarily recharge the system when possible for suspension height adjustment during repairs. Has anyone tried alternatively powering the onboard compressor so it has power? The key would be in the same "Run" position - what's actually preventing it from turning itself on at low pressure and no engine rpm's? This may be a Q for the Touareg forums as It would be a nice option for offroad and camping use.
I can't comment on the others but I believe you can activate the compressor as well as front and rear height adjustments via Durametric or iCarScan. It'll be under the actuation tests.

The power draw risks completely draining the battery though and these cars are known to start acting funny and throwing codes if the battery is at a low voltage. If you have a charger that can provide enough amperage then its probably okay I guess.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:28 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

For example:
https://flat6motorsports.com/product...enne-s-gts-957
Almost $1k for a 20hp boost, with a $600 cold air system will hardly be noticeable on a 5000 lb. Cayenne.

There are no tune on the fly engine controllers for the 957 that I am aware of.

My best guess is there is not much hp under the table to make it worthwhile.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 AM
Burnt McGurnt
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
For example:
https://flat6motorsports.com/product...enne-s-gts-957
Almost $1k for a 20hp boost, with a $600 cold air system will hardly be noticeable on a 5000 lb. Cayenne.

There are no tune on the fly engine controllers for the 957 that I am aware of.

My best guess is there is not much hp under the table to make it worthwhile.
For on street use I'd agree, potential gains are not worth it, but I'd bet there is some timing to be had with a real race gas or blended fuel tune by a pro tuner. I was also thinking the tables may be too dynamic to piggyback over or hack into. Or closed source code.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:08 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt McGurnt
  • Other than the factory settings and selections, is there a way to control the differentials and
    • send more power bias fore or aft?
    • Lock/ unlock selectively?
    • Any aftermarket/oem-sourceable controllers from some other platform's special edition model which did?

Thanks all for the replies.
I believe normally AWD sends power 38/62 front/rear. Only way you can control it in low range, just press the switch up again to split the power 50/50 between front / rear axles. No controllers that I've known to customize this. I think Cayenne is already set up perfectly OK from factory for most on road/ off road driving situations. Also, traction control works decent without being too intrusive, both on road and off road.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Unless you are very lucky and have the locking rear diff, the diffs are just open.
No locking, no 'limited slip'.

The clutches in the transfer case are set. IIRC, 38% front, 62% rear. You can lock up the T/C, but you have to be in low range first (first push of the 'off road' switch gives low range, second lock up the T/C, third locks the rear diff if you have that).

Very few aftermarket tune setups for these cars. The market simply isn't there. And Porsche isn't known for sharing the info on the computers.

Quick Reply: Looking for some pointers