Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System Temp Sensor and P2181

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 12:23 AM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the input. After watching a few YouTube videos tonight about the intake collar struggles, I plan to buy a new one and just rip the old one out without worrying if it's damaged. Really appreciate the advice! Going to give this a go very soon. Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2024, 01:40 PM
Dino 987
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default P2181 code

Originally Posted by pbarch1
I've been throwing this code too. With no accompanying codes.
When it's cleared it takes several days to several weeks for it to reappear, think is's still the thermostat ?
Hi, I’ve been having the same issue with my 2012 Boxster S for a couple years. I topped up the coolant and the issue goes away. I don’t drive my car much to see the issue reappear until the next summer. It only has 22,000km. Just wondering if you resolved your issue and what the cause was? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2024, 11:23 PM
Jd_gts
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino 987
Hi, I’ve been having the same issue with my 2012 Boxster S for a couple years. I topped up the coolant and the issue goes away. I don’t drive my car much to see the issue reappear until the next summer. It only has 22,000km. Just wondering if you resolved your issue and what the cause was? Thanks.
I replaced the thermostat and associated parts and haven't had the code come back yet. The issue was caused (in my case) by a stuck thermostat. I believe it was stuck open, or at least partially open, which didn't allow the engine to warm up quickly enough ~ within the specified timeframe as coded into the ECU (?) hence throwing a code. BTW, it took me exactly 1.25 hours from start to finish on the Cayenne. Obviously the Boxster will be a different process. Good luck!

Last edited by Jd_gts; 08-04-2024 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2024, 08:27 AM
Dino 987
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cooling system

Originally Posted by Jd_gts
I replaced the thermostat and associated parts and haven't had the code come back yet. The issue was caused (in my case) by a stuck thermostat. I believe it was stuck open, or at least partially open, which didn't allow the engine to warm up quickly enough ~ within the specified timeframe as coded into the ECU (?) hence throwing a code. BTW, it took me exactly 1.25 hours from start to finish on the Cayenne. Obviously the Boxster will be a different process. Good luck!
Thanks, I will look in to the thermostat if the reservoir cap replacement doesn’t work. Although I’m getting up to temp in what seems to be no different than always and it’s maintaining. But not ruling it out. What code were you getting. Mine is P2181

Last edited by Dino 987; 08-05-2024 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Cooling system

Quick Reply: Cooling System Temp Sensor and P2181