Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch missmatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004 | 01:55 PM
dawktah
Racer

Default Trailer hitch missmatch

I was just looking into a few trailers and realized the Cayenne hitch is miss-matched. Although the truck can tow 7,700 lbs the tongue weight is really low for this much towing capacity. Was just looking into getting an www.airstream.com and total weight can be trailered but tongue weight negates whole thing. I just started search any other recommendations?
Old 02-17-2004 | 02:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

When shopping for a trailer for my son's gokart (10' all aluminum enclosed, so weight was not an issue at ~1100 lbs), I was told that the rule of thumb is tongue weight = towing capacity/10.

So the Cayenne should be rated at 6600 lbs towing with a 660 lb tongue weight spec?
Is this what you are referring to as the mismatch?

Using the Cayenne for a serious tow vehicle, I would be more concerned regarding trailer length vs Cayenne wheelbase. For towing something large, I would probably use my wife's Excursion PSD.
Old 02-17-2004 | 02:40 PM
dawktah
Racer

Yeah, at 650 max should be more like 6500. Most airstream trailers at that weight still have tongue weight of 750# for a 5,270# trailer and a 480# for a 4,120# trailer. For now its just me so a small trailer is fine, once I get remarried and have a family I guess it will be a hotel
Old 02-17-2004 | 04:33 PM
Swede
Intermediate

My understanding is you are correct about the "rule of thumb" mis-match. This towing thing is very new for Porsche and they hopefully are learning alot asap.

Having said that, my Cayenne is towing my sleds and boat awesome! Both are well over 5000.
Old 02-17-2004 | 05:04 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I think the thumb rule is for boats (8%-10%). With stern drives most of the weight is on/behind the wheels. It offsets some tongue weight.

Live in trailers have a different weight allocation. I don't think you could tow a 7200lb Airstream. Verify (tongue weight - wet) with trailer manufacturer and test tow the one you will buy.

There was a heated thread on www.vwvortex.com concerning a chap who bought an Airstream (same model as the VW commercial) and the truck waived all over the highway. He got his money back & VW was on CBS TV on the "Hall of Shame" segment.

Having better luck with your new ride, I hope...
Old 02-18-2004 | 04:19 PM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Just because they rate it to tow a certain amount does not mean it is a good idea. Travel trailers really should be only towed with a wieght distributing hitch. That is REALLY going to burden the Porsche set-up. On my summer travels, I normally see at least one bumper pull travel trailer in the ditch per trip. Last summer one was on its side having been towed by an Excursion, the other by a Suburban. The tail really wags the dog, that is why more and more are fifth wheel set-ups, this is MUCH safer. Get more truck than you need, not power but a stable platform.

For the Cayenne, or any SUV, I would stay with a sub 21ft trailer. There are many nice lightwieght choices out there. Trailer brakes are another subject. Is the Cayenne made to accept an electric brake controller? If not, now you must stay in the 3000lb or less range for legality and safety.

I do a bunch of towing in my business. I don't mind pulling 15k behind a pick-up with a gooseneck hitch. Just hauling a car on a bumper pull trailer with the same truck is far less comfortable. Sure the Cayenne will tow but I will limit mine to the boat and the sleds.
Old 02-18-2004 | 04:46 PM
dawktah
Racer

Brent-89 GT

I'll take that into consideration. I have seen a few posts on installation of brake controllers and Cayenne is pre-wired for one. I may just have to plan on staying in the motel/hotels along the way, and leave the trailer idea alone. Stick to boat and cargo trailers.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch missmatch