Sponsored by:

Chassis System Warning - GTS with PDCC/Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Chassis System Warning - GTS with PDCC/Air

I haven’t got a code yet, my carsoft doesn’t seem to read my pdcc or pick up any issue.

I just wanted to put up my symptoms and see if anyone else has this and what the resolution was.

I get a chassis system warning as soon as I corner fairly fast or if I start weaving left and right, essentially, as soon as there is load one one side (doesn’t matter if left or right), the warning appears and stops the pdcc working. Air works perfectly, still auto levels and I can adjust. It just stops pdcc and if sport mode, disables that, really spoils the drive.

I was initially getting System chassis faulty but that doesn’t appear at all now, just chassis system warning. If I drive gently, I can avoid triggering the warning.

Sound familar to anyone?
Cayenne GTS with air/pdcc

I will be getting codes soon.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
gavinh (02-03-2024)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:48 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you checked the PDCC reservoir level? I think I recall reading some threads saying that the PDCC lines can rub and eventually leak at certain locations?

I think only PIWIS properly talks to the PDCC module so if you have a leak and the system needs to be bled or whatever else, it has to be done at the dealership.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:27 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkGolf
I haven’t got a code yet, my carsoft doesn’t seem to read my pdcc or pick up any issue.

I just wanted to put up my symptoms and see if anyone else has this and what the resolution was.

I get a chassis system warning as soon as I corner fairly fast or if I start weaving left and right, essentially, as soon as there is load one one side (doesn’t matter if left or right), the warning appears and stops the pdcc working. Air works perfectly, still auto levels and I can adjust. It just stops pdcc and if sport mode, disables that, really spoils the drive.

I was initially getting System chassis faulty but that doesn’t appear at all now, just chassis system warning. If I drive gently, I can avoid triggering the warning.

Sound familar to anyone?

Thanks
My new to me (late 2009) GTS gave me a few random chassis warnings over the winter period. I found that by exercising the ride height selector a few times, no recurrence. It did feel a little sticky at first which I put down to lack of use by previous owner
Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Thank you guys!

Since the error, I have replaced the PDCC reservoir and refilled with fresh CHF11S. A year ago, a line to the rear had burst, so that was replaced and the system was refilled and re-calibrated/bled..That was with the previous owner. The level remains at it's MAX level so no issues with leaks, although there is some sweating from the rear roll bar body but not dripping. I had pulled the valves and pressure sensors on the rear valve body but everything was good and I just cleaned them, no change. I have some new pressure sensors on order as an error which did show was something about the rear valve body, so I figured that this is just made up of the 2 valves and 2 pressure sensors, let me at least try changing those for the sake of £45 rather than £900 for a valve body.

I have seen a thread about someone having the warning which then disappeared after having the system bled by PIWIS a lot with air re-calibration. I had been jacking the car up a fair amount while cleaning the underside a week before the issue appeared so I do wonder if I have screwed something... My PDCC does make a humming sound but this seems to be normal across forum reports..

I think my height selector is fine, I have always been in the habit of lowering the car everytime I park it as it makes jumping in and out easier for my pregnant wife, just happens to look better too I have heard about the cold causing issues but right now, we're high teens so should be ok..

Thank you for your input here!
Old 06-04-2019, 04:47 PM
playskool1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having the same intermittent Chassis Warning messages too ever since I bought the car. Sometimes it would happen once a week, or once a month. sometimes, not for a couple months. I find that turning off the car and turning it back on clears this warning message and then the car handles like normal. Whenever the Chassis Warning light shows up, It was always when I was taking a slight or an agressive left hand turn. I would hear a little pop sound and the front right air suspension would slightly be lower than the other corners.

I'm gonna try checking the fluid level now after reading this.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by playskool1
I'm having the same intermittent Chassis Warning messages too ever since I bought the car. Sometimes it would happen once a week, or once a month. sometimes, not for a couple months. I find that turning off the car and turning it back on clears this warning message and then the car handles like normal. Whenever the Chassis Warning light shows up, It was always when I was taking a slight or an agressive left hand turn. I would hear a little pop sound and the front right air suspension would slightly be lower than the other corners.

I'm gonna try checking the fluid level now after reading this.
If it's leaning, I'd suspect the air suspension, not the PDCC. There are residual pressure release valves that occasionally fail which can cause that. It's not too expensive to fix. It cost me about $50 for mine.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Hopefully it is just your fluid!

I am still having headaches with mine, the issue seems to change..

Originally, I was getting 'Chassis System Faulty', this was random, sometimes it would pop up, other times not at all.I had only had the car for 3 weeks and covered about 600 miles before this started appearing. I had topped up the fluid with CHF11S as it was half way.
Then I started to get 'Chassis System Faulty' as soon as I hit 4mph.
Then I had 2 weeks of no errors.
Then 'Chassis System Warning' with red shock appeared, this would appear as soon as I took a corner slightly hard.
I then changed the 2 pressure sensors in the rear valve body, this did nothing. I was getting a 15629 rear valve block implausible signal. No idea what that meant but assumed it had to be a sensor.

I now get a mix of warning and the faulty errors but in the last few days, it has been consistently the 'chassis system faulty' as I hit 4mph.

I have filled up with fresh CHF11S, new PDCC reservoir, new pressure sensors on the rear valve body and not directly replaced but replaced the top mount and both sets of wishbones on the front end. Since doing those last weekend, I haven't seen the Warning but I think I would had the faulty message not got there first.

Errors as of yesterday

So now I'm stumped!

My options are, remove my rear valves and ensure they are no seized and work when power is put to them, locate new valves for the rear valve body, perform a bleed by proper tool. I was tempted to crack the bleed nipples on the roll bar bodies to see if air came out but scared of snapping them.

If there is anything else I can do before having to fork for an entire valve body unit, let me know!

These are the sensors

Rear valve body
Old 06-05-2019, 06:11 PM
playskool1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on your knowledge. If you don't mind, can you link me to the diy fix or resource?
Old 06-06-2019, 05:12 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

No DIY's or anything, I think I am on my own here. Everyone changes the entire block, fine under warranty but the fix is potentially very cheap.

I have just found that the valves are the same as used on BMW's and those valve blocks are very cheap! So I have bought one to experiment as I think one of my valves is causing the issue.

Will update.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I had this display randomly pop us several times until a code finally popped up on my ICar Scan. It turned out to be a bad yaw or acceleration sensor located in the LH side of the wheel well. No PDCC on my GTS.
The problem was more apparent when it rained or very humid. If you look closely at the unit, you'll see a hairline crack on the epoxy portion of the sensor.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Thanks!

What popped up on the dash exactly?

Was the code stored or did the car need to be code checked while the error was displayed?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2019, 11:37 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks!

What popped up on the dash exactly?

Was the code stored or did the car need to be code checked while the error was displayed?

Thanks!
The red "Warning - Chassis System Faulty" script on the multi-function indicator simultaneously with several loud beeps. I was in Sport mode when this happened and it bumped me back into Normal mode. If I tried to activate the Sport button, it wouldn't engage and the whole warning sequence would start over.

I waited a few days before scanning the level control system and no error codes would show up. Several days later, and on a rainy day, it happened again. I scanned it that same night and picked up the code that you see on my previous post.

The part number shown on the sensor has been superseded by 7L0 907 673 H. Part cost me $260 CDN at my friendly neighborhood VW dealer. Porsche wanted over $500...

Last edited by Andy E.; 06-06-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-03-2022, 07:49 AM
multiix
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound familar to anyone?

Thanks
hello, I’m having the exactly same issue. Were you able to find a solution?
The following users liked this post:
MarkGolf (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:04 AM
MarkGolf
Instructor

Weak PDCC pump. Here is something to try, if you can consistently get the error to appear when turning sharply, turn the car off and back on to clear the error and try the same manoeuvre again but with the engine RPM anything over 3500RPM. so hold it in a lower gear or even drive in neutral but hold the throttle down to keep the rpm up.

If the error does not show itself while turning sharply and keeping the rpm up, it shows that your PDCC pump is weak and at low RPM sharp turns, it can't produce the pressure required to stay over the low pressure trigger threshold, which then throws the error.

If the error does show itself while doing this, it could mean you have a bad solenoid which is slow or even just a dirty pressure sensor.

I suspect holding RPM high will identify a weak pump however.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:35 AM
multiix
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! I’ll give it a try.

Mine happens when turning in either direction. If the weather is cold, and the car is cold, then it will do it immediately, aka first slightest turn.

During hot LA summers, it doesn’t happen as often.

Once the car is at full temp, and I turn it off and on again (clear it), it won’t happen again.

In all scenarios after the “pop” sound and light coming on, the swaybars become very soft. Car wobbly. Scary at highway speed during turns.

Quick Reply: Chassis System Warning - GTS with PDCC/Air