Old 05-16-2019, 04:27 PM
BlueOvalKid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, Another Coolant Temp Gauge Question -- Similar but different

2004 Cayenne Turbo

Ambient temp was 76 deg today

Climate control was on Auto

Sitting in drive-thru at Walgreen's to pickup a prescription for my son. Gauge went from middle (straight up @ noon) to between 3/4 and red. This got my attention.

Put trans in neutral and rev'd engine just a bit to about 1100 rpm to see what would happen. Gauge immediately started to drop and made it's way back to middle (straight up).

My question is this 1) water pump problem or 2) air bubble in coolant system?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:34 PM
BlueOvalKid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing?
Old 05-20-2019, 05:27 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It could be an air bubble in the system. I just lost about a cup of fluid this weekend when I disconnected a hose fitting to gain more access while replacing the drive belt on my 958. I ended up with the same symptom as you. I just put the car in drive and took a quick ride around the block. All has been well since. I'm going to see my Indy this week and will ask him to see if the system needs burping just in case. In the meantime, keep an eye on your coolant reservoir to see if you're running low for some reason.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Doesn't sound correct. It is normal to see a bit of needle movement. But it doesn't usually indicate beyond half way between the 12 o'clock position and the 3/4's position.

My experience has shown more needle movement with Econ selected. Having the AC off disables one of the cooling fans.

I'd check the following.

1) AC on. Check that the smaller radiator fan always running.

2) AC off, let it heat up and see if the main cooling fan comes on and increases in speed as the temp rises.

3) once hot, turn off and listen for the electric secondary coolant pump. It just behind the left front wheel in the fender.

4) clean out the space between the ac condenser and the radiator.

I would be that your problems are electrical and with the fans and their function.

Quick Reply: Yes, Another Coolant Temp Gauge Question -- Similar but different