Sponsored by:

Annoying suspension tick....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Annoying suspension tick....

957 GTS 37,500 miles. I’ve been tying to hunt down this tick noise from the rear of the car for a week now. It happens at slower speeds and uneven pavement.

11 second video of the phantom tick. happens after I stop the car.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxlQqKKlV0

Last edited by Vivid7; 04-08-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

after some research, it may be the axle that is ticking. I didnt find any videos of cayennes but I found a ford making the exact same tick sound, as well as a 350z. we shall see.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:37 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

That was also my guess....CV axle. They get dry spots and the joints makes noises. Try grasping the boot with both hands and squeeze gently, in an effort to re-distribute the grease better.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:30 AM
Vivid7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dilberto
That was also my guess....CV axle. They get dry spots and the joints makes noises. Try grasping the boot with both hands and squeeze gently, in an effort to re-distribute the grease better.
thanks. I’ll try that tomorrow. I only get a few ticks when I’m under 10mph. it’s not constant.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Tried squeezing the boot to draw more grease to the joint. no dice. Still ticks when going slow.

I’m just going to replace the axle. Are the 08 Toureg axles the same as my 08 GTS? I would think they would be. They are much cheaper.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:17 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

FYI.... swapped a new axle in and the tick is still there at low speeds and at random times. 1-3 clicks and then nothing. Putting in new brake pads tomorrow. either a pads issue or an E brake issue.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:10 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Hate trying to track down noises like this. Just narrowed a clicking noise down to the blower motor, replacement on order. Not to hijack, but anyone have an educated guess what could be squeaking like old bed springs on the front right quarter? Probably not control arm related, uppers and lowers both replaced about 30k miles ago FWIW.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Just replaced rear rotors and pads. Tick is still there. I can recreate the tick every time going about 20mph and slightly jerking the steering wheel to the right and then left. Happens on the left jerk every time. The new brakes feel great and no more brake dust.

Last edited by Vivid7; 06-23-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:42 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

There have been a few posts elsewhere about Range Rover suspension sounds.

The poster attached a camera with a magnetic mount, to the frame in the suspect area. Problem was isolated and corrected by a dealer.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:59 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Originally Posted by v10rick
There have been a few posts elsewhere about Range Rover suspension sounds.

The poster attached a camera with a magnetic mount, to the frame in the suspect area. Problem was isolated and corrected by a dealer.

I just bought a iPhone mount about 30 min ago. I WILL find and fix this.
The following users liked this post:
v10rick (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 03:04 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Here's a completely different idea. Should be easy to check. Had this on my 2004 S, while my brother in law owned it, just after he got his 22" wheels.

The problem was that some hardware had come loose inside the wheel, i.e., in the cavity between the wheel and the tire that is pressurized with air. Probably a tiny little nut or something that would rattle around. It was from shoddy work by the wheel builder or tire installer. I remember helping by running alongside the car while my BIL was driving, listening to isolate the source.

At higher speed, the centrifugal force keeps the rattling object fixed against the inside surface of the tire, rotating with the wheel. At low speeds, it bounces along silently against the tire, just above the road surface. So you only hear it at the speeds in between (luckily for me, right about running speed) where it is not pinned against the wheel, and bounces on the top of the wheel, making a little tick / clink.

Simple test is to swap the wheel to another location and see if the sound moves. That should be cheap (free) and easy to do.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Here's a completely different idea. Should be easy to check. Had this on my 2004 S, while my brother in law owned it, just after he got his 22" wheels.

The problem was that some hardware had come loose inside the wheel, i.e., in the cavity between the wheel and the tire that is pressurized with air. Probably a tiny little nut or something that would rattle around. It was from shoddy work by the wheel builder or tire installer. I remember helping by running alongside the car while my BIL was driving, listening to isolate the source.

At higher speed, the centrifugal force keeps the rattling object fixed against the inside surface of the tire, rotating with the wheel. At low speeds, it bounces along silently against the tire, just above the road surface. So you only hear it at the speeds in between (luckily for me, right about running speed) where it is not pinned against the wheel, and bounces on the top of the wheel, making a little tick / clink.

Simple test is to swap the wheel to another location and see if the sound moves. That should be cheap (free) and easy to do.
Excellent idea. I just read a post on a RRS that had a part of the TPMS sensor break off and rattle around.

sounds like this.skip to 0:35

Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Good video there. Yes, that sounds like a foreign object within the wheel/tire.

Tough thing with my BIL's car was that the problem was present on 2 out of the 4 wheels, making it even tougher to figure out. Good luck with yours.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid7
Excellent idea. I just read a post on a RRS that had a part of the TPMS sensor break off and rattle around.

Oh, now that would be annoying to track down. Never considered that happening, know we know one more weird noise to listen for...

Originally Posted by Vivid7
I just bought a iPhone mount about 30 min ago. I WILL find and fix this.
I'd much rather not use my phone... one more thing to have to fix/swap/upgrade if it falls off. GoPro is probably more durable.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Vivid7
Instructor

Here is a new video. Definitely in the back 1/3rd of the car. At 18 seconds I move the steering wheel from left to right.

Last edited by Vivid7; 06-27-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Annoying suspension tick....