New Valeo Xenon Headlamps - Lowbeams Not working + other issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:36 AM
gavin20
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Valeo Xenon Headlamps - Lowbeams Not working + other issues

Hiya,

New member to the forum, but long time lurker. I recently purchased a '05 Cayenne Turbo w/air suspension & xenon lights. First thing I did was purchase new valeo headlamps due to failing/moisture issues with the old headlamps. I swapped/kept the original ballasts, bulbs, and replaced new xenon light harnesses & ballast to D1S cables. I still cannot get my lowbeams to turn on and still experiencing add'l, seperate problems for each headlamp.

My next step was to possibly replace the D1S bulbs, even though they look aok and also the ballasts/control unit. But I'm worried about the need to "pair" the units with the dealerships help, which I still don't fully understand what that's about.

Could someone recommend my next steps? Here's the symptoms -

Passenger side:
  • Leveling motor turns on
  • Side marker light works
  • Highbeam works
  • Turn indicator light works
  • Low beam doesn't work
Driver side:
  • Leveling motor doesn't work
  • Side marker doesn't work
  • High beam doesn't work
  • Turn indicator fast flashes, light works
  • Low beam doesn't work

Checked and rechecked fuses, all aok. Was thinking about replacing ballasts and light **** switch. Or say screw it and take it to a dealership, or find a local mechanic in the Atlanta / North Georgia area. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Gavin
Old 04-08-2019, 09:22 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Try removing both lights, then unhook the wiring connector from its mount at the back of the headlight tray. Inspect the wires that bow up from the connector for damage. They're known to crack and fail.

If the wiring is in good shape, then plug the connector into the back of the headlight. This is possible with the connector removed from its mount. You are checking to see if the lights work when the connector is seated into the headlight by hand. Sometimes when locked in place normally they do not seat fully.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:49 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to echo Jagman's comments - the headlight connectors on the 955s were a terrible design and often give problems
Old 04-09-2019, 07:29 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 557 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Try removing both lights, then unhook the wiring connector from its mount at the back of the headlight tray. Inspect the wires that bow up from the connector for damage. They're known to crack and fail.

If the wiring is in good shape, then plug the connector into the back of the headlight. This is possible with the connector removed from its mount. You are checking to see if the lights work when the connector is seated into the headlight by hand. Sometimes when locked in place normally they do not seat fully.
If that works, you can easily modify the connector to "slide" in the mount.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:02 PM
OJM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you find a solution? I too now have a similar issue. BOTH low beams will not work. I tried all of the usual tricks which have worked when one of the lights starts malfunctioning, to no avail. I even bought and replaced the low beam bulbs and still can't get the low beams to turn on. Interestingly, the high beams work fine. Also, the turn signals and the passenger side marker light are not consistently working. It is so odd that the high beams work perfect. Any ideas? I checked fuses, wiring, etc. I also cleaned all contacts.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:48 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Guessing it's your ballasts. DIY DAN links to an inexpensive replacement that does not need pairing. Also see his video 1 and 2 in this series of headlight woe whack a mole. Video 1 covers replacing the short harness outside the headlight which crumbles to bits causing shorts and Video 2 covers repairing the crumbling wiring insulation inside the headlamp which also causes shorts & faults. Assuming your wiring is all sound, that leaves the bulbs and ballast.

Only one of my wires needed to be completely jacketed in marine grade heat shrink. I also touched up some crusty wires with marine liquid electric tape.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:10 PM
OJM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks BrianC72GT. That is my next step, but I was confused how both could die at the same time. Given the relatively low cost, I guess it can't hurt to spend around $120 to buy the ones on Amazon. The headlights are but one issue I am tackling. I have not been driving the CTT for a few weeks due to the fact I am in the middle of replacing the front lower control arms and tie rods. The back bolt on the lower control arm has been impossible to remove and weather hasn't been cooperating so I put the wheel back on and have been hoping for a better weekend weather day.

Quick Reply: New Valeo Xenon Headlamps - Lowbeams Not working + other issues