Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Rally/Offroad Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The angle at full droop is maxed, it still rotates with no bind or "notchiness" but its at the limit. The drivers side limits a tad more than the passenger for some reason. When I go into production of these I will limit about .200 droop from what I show here to make it perfectly safe. Porsche gave us great CV's to work with, Toyota guys cringe at pics like this.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by prerunnergreg
The angle at full droop is maxed, it still rotates with no bind or "notchiness" but its at the limit. The drivers side limits a tad more than the passenger for some reason. When I go into production of these I will limit about .200 droop from what I show here to make it perfectly safe. Porsche gave us great CV's to work with, Toyota guys cringe at pics like this.
I don't know what size the CV is on the Cayenne, but would imagine it would be comparable to a 930. With that said the max angle of degree would 24. I know from past experience that exceeding the angle will eat up CV's, but maybe a non issue with your build. Best of luck.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:09 PM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

Cv's will be fine, the boots may not live a long life at these angles. I have no issues with the CV themselves though. I haven't touched a 930 cv since the 80s on a desert car but these do look similar.

Last edited by prerunnergreg; 04-16-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:22 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great updates - very keen to see a "production available" kit for air suspension cars like this. I'd buy one. :-)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:08 PM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

Some new shoes, BFG 285/75-17 on Method wheels w a custom .700 spacer and studs. This is the ride hight at "normal" now
The following users liked this post:
pirahna (07-12-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:46 AM
Dave Waldo
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks really good, with no diffs hanging down and all that clearance, nice big tyres it should give the live axle cars a hurry up.

How much travel did you end up with ?

Have you still got a bit of positive camber on the front ?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 PM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

So, i found out the hard way that the air shocks havea about 1/2 more extension when pressurized...that caused a slight issue as the drivers' side axle popped out of the diff yesterday. No pick but i changed some of the mounts and adjusted to compensate...all fixed now. Rememeber, I will cover the good AND the bad. A few more random pics

With the 2" rear subframe drop, I figured Id need to mod the exhaust. After firing it up with no cat-back system at all and reallized it sounds great...this is how im gonna leave it for now...i just cut the stock system and pie'd two turn-downs...i might merge them into a single turndown as it might sound even better
Yes, these are UGLY, but functional for now. These are the front adjusters and they are quite a bit shorter than stock. I will machine the male/female parts down to fit later.

Here's the where I trimmed the rear of the front inner fender...was easy. I will plate it next week. I might trim a bit more, if I move the IC I could pretty easily fit 35's

Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 PM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

rear adjustable links. Simple and effective.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

A few more updates. Ive burned through 2 tanks of fuel in the last week and so far it drives great. Since the lift uses a combo of drop brackets and I havent just cranked the air bags to get the height, the ride is really smooth...certainly as good as stock except for the M/T tires being rougher and noisier. The biggest news is that I finished the front coilovers and the upper adaptor/lower mount design. These will be available soon for those interested. I also moved the intercoolers forward just a bit..tires didnt rub before but it was very close...now its just less close. I forgot to take pics of the IC mod, but ill get some later. Early next week I should have pics of the rear shocks and the mounts...may have to build a complete new subframe as the stock upper rear shock mounts are weird. and im shooting for around 12" travel in the rear.

This was a big hurdle. Real 2.5" dia coilovers. These are Fox ifp (internal reservoir) units. I can build this same set-up using King, Radflo, SAW, or Icon shocks. All with ifp or external reservoir with or without ext damping adjusters. Spring rates are also optional as these use 16"x3" coils. Wheel travel went from around 8" travel stock to about 10" with these ...all bolt on. There may be a bit more to be had but at these numbers the driveline lives an easy exsistance.
Another coilover pic. Note the rudimentary lower mount...production part will be very nicely laser cut and gusseted with sway bar attaching points. The upper mount is also universal and designed to work w both air ride and coilsprung struts...who knew the mounts had different bolt patterns. I will need to fab reservoir mounts also.

This is where I may be able to gain a bit more travel. With the strut mount drop, I can only go "up" until the upper arms bind...with my bearing-pivot arms I think i can gain about 3/4+ inch more compression travel...we shall see soon enough. Its hard to see but the shock is mounted (less spring) in this pic
Old 04-26-2019, 06:06 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Really appreciate you sharing these updates. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Petrolhead_007
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for updates, potentially interested in a kit
Old 04-27-2019, 10:20 PM
Dave Waldo
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you think the air suspension have the same travel as the coil overs ?
Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 AM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

coilovers will have more...probably 1.5" more and certainly more damping potential. a 2.5" coilover will have around 2.25" piston (but 7/8" shaft) and has approx 3.39 in2 of piston area on the compression side. A 50mm shock (bilstien, KW, etc) with a 16mm shaft will have about 1.98 sq in of piston area. not only does the coilover get a little more travel but has almost 2x the damping potential. I may be able to cram a 3" coilover in there but the springs get very large and cost skyrockets.....even at 5700lbs a 2.5" shock with our 1.5:1 motion ratio should be more than ample for anything Id like to do. In a couple weeks I should have some nice jumping pics...wife gave full permision to see what the unibody can handle...if it folds-up, then i guess we found the limit and will have to get another one. There may also be room for small air bumps...i dont think there is any way to cram a smaller (2.0) coilover and a bypass shock...that would be neat, but overkill.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:18 AM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

oh, if you were asking about the stock coilovers vs the airride...ill have that answer next week as i just took the set of stock coilovers apart...stock travel on the non air shock is about 5.4" travel and the spring rate (from a v8 touareg anyway) is only 500lbs/in for the front. ill be working on the rear next week.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:55 AM
prerunnergreg
Intermediate

Didn't get a huge amount done. But a simple tube bumper that welds to the factory crash bar. It still allows the front clip to come off easily. I mounted the lights behind the grill...this was easy as I just drilled holes into the bumper bracket...but the bracket is heat treated and not easy to drill. I will make cut outs in the grill this week for the lights.

It may be hard to see but I trimmed the sway bar mount brackets down. IC protection and simple skid plate soon. I do not want to mount a winch , but one could fit in the radiator scoop

Quick Reply: Cayenne Rally/Offroad Build