Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you run fast in the opposite direction? 06 CTTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:41 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd buy it.... for dealer maintained, those miles are nothing.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:03 AM
lancer
8th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the great info guys. So far I’m in. It’s getting a PPI tomorrow. So fingers crossed it goes decent. Like I said I’m expecting a few minor issues. As long as it’s nothing major I’ll be adding the CTTS to the fleet. I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:06 AM
torofluxgemini
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I'd buy it.... for dealer maintained, those miles are nothing.
+1

Looking back I sometimes wish I had purchased a better maintained car (like this one). I paid about this much for my 04 CTT "auction special" @ 97,500 miles, and I have been catching up on a lot of deferred maintenance & correcting general idiocy. My costs are quickly adding up even doing my own work. Looking back I'd probably trade the mileage difference for the assurance of the dedicated owner and the dealer maintenance - plus the fact that it is a Turbo S. I haven't seen a CTTS with a decent history for that price. Sure the pano roof is a concern but... maybe it has been "provably maintained"... or even replaced previously.

I'd just make sure to take it out fairly often and get those turbos spinning I feel like cars like this prefer to be taken out for exercise, and not neglected
Old 03-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
No collector wants a car with 200k miles
Maybe not now. But if it's one of the three last ones in existence miles start to not count anymore
Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast

Maybe not now. But if it's one of the three last ones in existence miles start to not count anymore
Exactly. Mileage is soo over and under rated at the same time. The market wants you to think mileage ruins cars. People ruin cars. These things are hitting the crushers left and right. After just purchasing an 06 CTT it looks like the nice ones are going for high book if not over and, it looks like they are selling at those price's. I don't know that I can ever see the collector value of being a special or rare vehicle. I can see the value in "good luck trying to find a nice one". I looked at a lot of 08's and 09 turbo's that were going for less than some of the comparable 04-06's. Nobody can know right now. Look at the BMW z8, what a freak. With the way things are going nobody is going to be making a vehicle like the Cayenne in the future. I say grab a nice one and hold on to it. This is a vehicle everyone should own once and have in the garage stable.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:43 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
With the way things are going nobody is going to be making a vehicle like the Cayenne in the future. I say grab a nice one and hold on to it. This is a vehicle everyone should own once and have in the garage stable.
^^^THIS^^^

Old 03-23-2019, 10:02 PM
lancer
8th Gear

Alright so PPI was completed today. Let me know what you guys think.

No major issues reported;
Tires are at 50% (not as bad as I thought)
Front brakes 40%
Rear brakes 60%
Minor issues being sunroof switch intermittent, he said the shade and glass still function all the way open. But switch is finicky
passenger side mirror adjusts slow but still works
passenger rear window regulator they say may be going out soon
They performed a compression test which came back great
Just passed emissions today also
Other issue he pointed out was the drive shaft. He said it had some play underneath. No noise or vibration while driving yet. He thinks it will need to be replaced within a year. But he recommended a entire driveline replacement and quoted around $2k to do. He told me on the CTTS he’s always recommended a total driveshaft replacement. Is this true? Thought you could just replace the bushing and bearing.

Got him down to $6,300 as it sits. Thoughts?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Nothing mentioned that would cause me to run. It's a good deal
Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

BUY IT NOW!!!! Otherwise let me know who the seller is and I'll do it! This is an easy one...
Old 03-23-2019, 11:56 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Buy. Drive shaft is $1400 for the part if you went with a one piece carbon fiber one
Old 03-24-2019, 12:51 AM
lancer
8th Gear

Alright, looks like the consensus is to buy it. I’ve put down a deposit to secure it. The car is about 8 hours from me so looking at flying down in the next couple weeks and trailering it home. Didn’t want to risk her maiden voyage with me being an 8 hour drive. I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted along this amazing journey. I’m thrilled to be adding a CTTS to the fleet.

But does anyone know if you can just replace the bushing and bearing for the driveline on a CTTS or is it really recommended to replace the entire driveline?
Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Best of luck. I say fly down there and drive it home... raw dog style! Just go with the $14 Jimmi fix until the bearing goes out. No need to do much else. Make sure you use stainless steel zip ties.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:40 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lancer
Alright, looks like the consensus is to buy it. I’ve put down a deposit to secure it. The car is about 8 hours from me so looking at flying down in the next couple weeks and trailering it home. Didn’t want to risk her maiden voyage with me being an 8 hour drive. I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted along this amazing journey. I’m thrilled to be adding a CTTS to the fleet.

But does anyone know if you can just replace the bushing and bearing for the driveline on a CTTS or is it really recommended to replace the entire driveline?
Congrats on the pending purchase! It sounds like a great deal.

You certainly can just go with the EPS solution and replace the guibo which also comes with the kit. At 160k+ miles, however, a thorough inspection of the driveshaft is in order before going this route. If it's questionable, it may be worth it to invest in a rebuild one and have it installed. IIRC, the part runs about $700.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Have you looked in the Cayenne DIY forum? https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

In particular: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...lustrated.html - ie - the "Jimi Fix"
Old 03-25-2019, 01:14 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Alright so PPI was completed today. Let me know what you guys think.

No major issues reported;
Tires are at 50% (not as bad as I thought)
Front brakes 40%
Rear brakes 60%
Minor issues being sunroof switch intermittent, he said the shade and glass still function all the way open. But switch is finicky
passenger side mirror adjusts slow but still works
passenger rear window regulator they say may be going out soon
They performed a compression test which came back great
Just passed emissions today also
Other issue he pointed out was the drive shaft. He said it had some play underneath. No noise or vibration while driving yet. He thinks it will need to be replaced within a year. But he recommended a entire driveline replacement and quoted around $2k to do. He told me on the CTTS he’s always recommended a total driveshaft replacement. Is this true? Thought you could just replace the bushing and bearing.

Got him down to $6,300 as it sits. Thoughts?
Congratulations on the purchase.

For the tires - check some of the recent threads. Other members have mentioned lots of very affordable and decent tire options.

For the brakes - is that the pads or rotors? Pads aren't a big deal, rotors are expensive but just save up and do it when its time.

For the switches and other electrical gremlins - I'd probably search for and clean up any corrosion. Especially for the mirror motor that gets somewhat exposed to the elements. Check your owner's manual for the override closing procedure on the panoroof just in case you need it. I think in the 2006 models there is a hex key that you can insert and turn to manually close it.

Quick Reply: Would you run fast in the opposite direction? 06 CTTS