Sponsored by:

WOOO...HOOO...Bought our 2nd P-Car Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation WOOO...HOOO...Bought our 2nd P-Car Today

My wife's Audi TTr is going back on lease in May. Once we picked up the Cayenne she really wanted a to have her own P-CAR. So long story short she gave me a long list of options, and said go find me this! Well almost 2 months later it was found, a 2003 Seal Gray Boxster S. The only problem is that the car is in KY, and we are in NJ.

If anyone has shipped a car I would love to know how you did it. Anyone in the Louisville, KY area that would be willing to go take a look and a ride please let me know!

The Cayenne soon will have a new stable mate. This time last year we were a 100% Audi family, and now we are well on our way to "switching."Take a look!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:06 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Try looking for Dependable Auto Shippers, they are good !
Old 02-05-2004, 12:27 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Do a search on shipping a car. Probably 50% of Rennlisters
have shipped a car. I used intercity and was completely
happy.www.intercitylines.com maybe??
Old 02-05-2004, 02:39 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I vote for Intercity as well. Have used them numerous times to move our showcars. Might be on the expensive side, but they are VERY professional.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:22 AM
bjwebster
Instructor

Congrats On The Boxster!

Intercity is very good. The extra money spent is worth it in my opinion, you want the car to arrive perfect!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Interestingly enough the quote from intercity was only $800 from KY to NJ. As much fun as it would be to fly down to make the road trip it gardly seems worth it for $800. Especially since they seem to come highly reco'd.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I sold a couple cars over the past few years to guys in CA and based on my recommendations the buyers used Intercity. Guess what, they damaged BOTH cars! As a side note, I was told Intercity is now owned by FED EX and you just don't get the same level of service as when they were small and privately held. My first couple experiences with them were great.

My SO and I just bought another 928 GTS from a guy in CA and had it shipped by Thomas C. Sunday. I would HIGHLY recommend them. They have just seven trucks, the level of service is almost unbelieveable! The driver called me b/f he picked up the car and called me periodically throughout the seven day trip from CA to NC. They have weekly runs east to west..... The name of the driver that hauled our car is Doyle Wagner.

I'm sure all shippers have issues from time to time but TWO in a row! Both were damaged in the same manner. One was a 1989 928 GT and the other a 2003 Audi S8. Both have roof antennas and both were raised to high in the trailer and the antennas were removed by the roof of the trailer. The second one happened because the driver didn't want to unload a G-wagon to get the Audi on the top level of the trailer. I was watching him and screaming at him when I saw it was going to hit. It hit, he stopped and then backed up and tore it right off the car! I couldn't believe it!

My .02 worth. Congrats and good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a thread from over on the 996TT board (I believe it was also posted on the 996 board and some others as well) regarding car carriers:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=110670

Congrats and best of luck with the Boxster.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:10 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

I thought Passport Transport was a Fed Ex Company. Intercity Lines is still independent as far as I know.

We are currently shopping for transport companies to bring our "new" 1955 356 Continental Outlaw Coupe to us from California. We have always used Intercity Lines without any problems at all. Matter of fact if you are lucky to get the husband and wife driving team you will get the best service ever. Still anything can happen to anyone, but twice, Wow.... that stinks!! So far we have quotes from Intercity and Passport Transport to ship from L.A. to Hot Springs, AR (1375.00). We are still waiting on Horseless Carriage and Reliable's quote. One company I would never EVER use again is Goldrush Motorsports. Our Porsche Dealer in California had our new Boxster shipped to us using them and the car was a mess when we took delivery. The Boxster top was light Grey and the driver put his Big sweaty, greasy hands all over it and left huge Black hand prints!!! We were ticked. He said he never had that problem before. All the other cabs he had delivered to customers in the past had black tops! So much for his reasoning!! I'm sure the hand prints were there, you just couldn't see them! We also know of someone in New York that had a even bigger problem with Goldrush. Turns out it was the same driver!! Just as big and had the same huge brass belt buckle. Fortunately for us that buckle did not come in contact with our car, unfortuantley for them it did with theirs. High priced damage to the paint and a messy insurance claim....

Make sure who ever you chose use has insurance. We were told by a dealer that 1 out of every 100 cars shipped long distance can get some damage...

Good Luck!

JoAnne
Old 02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally posted by RJT 993
We are currently shopping for transport companies to bring our "new" 1955 356 Continental Outlaw Coupe to us from California. ........
JoAnne
OK, OK rub it in. In case those of you reading this forum don't wander out onto the 993 board, this is what Mother Superior is talking about.

JoAnne, my offer still stands. Once you guys find out that having ferin' cars ain't legal in Arkansas, bring it on down to Dallas. Like I said, I'd be more than willing to pull my wife's E320 out of the garage! You can visit any time - especially when you bring you Cayenne down for service. ( Shoot, YOU'LL probably get your cardan shaft before me! )

Congratulations to you guys. Your boy sure is nice!

TBP

P.S. - Missed you guys over the holidays. Did you make it down here? Be sure to shout when you're visiting this neck of the woods! Toby
Old 02-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

You might be right on the Passport/Fed Ex thing. My inforamtion might not be accurate. All I know for sure is I wasn't going to use Intercity again to ship the GTS and will not use them again. In my book, two strikes and your out!

The 928 GT was damaged by one of the husband and wife teams. When they were delivering the car in CA they actually called me and asked me if the car was damaged when they picked it up. I asked them if they would like to see pictures of them taking the antenna off the roof the car b/f they loaded it which clearly showed no damage to the roof of the car. That was the end of that conversation. Good thing I took a load of pics and when this conversation took place, I emailed the buyer the pics as proof positive.

I am really picky and have very high expectations when it comes to something like this. I am sure that all carriers have issues from time to time but I have to say, two cars damage on consecutive trips to the west coast is reason enough for me not to want to use them again. In my opinion, they are just to big and can't give the personalized service they once did.

I paid $1,400 to ship the GTS from Huntington Beach, CA to Charlotte, NC on Thomas C. Sunday and will use them again if the need arrises.

Their web site is:

Thomas C. Sunday

I have no connection to Thomas C. Sunday other than being a VERY satisfied customer. You owe to yourself to check them out.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:25 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 156 Posts

Thanks Chuck. We will give Thomas C. Sunday a call today and see what they charge to Transport. The best rate we've been given so far is with Passport Transport (1290). We are still waiting on Reliable Carriers and Horseless Carriage. We won't necessary go with the best rate, but with the one that can get it to us the fastest and in perfect condition. Thanks for the heads up about Intercity Lines. It's too bad. They were always the best in the business before....

Toby...
We didn't get to Dallas over the holiday, but we'll be there next month. Let's plan on getting together then. Anything new I should know about updates etc. before we get to the dealer (Park Place)????

JoAnne
Old 02-07-2004, 12:32 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

When I got my Turbo -Intercity called when they were a few days
out. I talked to the husband and wife team every day till
they were close enough that I could go get it early. they were
great. They also are insured and bonded and document everything
if there is a problem they take care of it. I would not hesitate
to use them again. Several shows on Speed Channel use
them exclusivley.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:36 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

I have had my Boxster serviced at Bluegrass in Louisville since 99. Ironically, I was at the dealership on Thursday, getting a deposit back on a Boxster Turbo that I put down in 01 thinking they might build it. Anyway, I might be able to take a look at it for you. Heck, if it is what I think it is, it was in the middle of the showroom floor. Who are you working with over there? Why can't your local dealer just swap with them? Is it because it is an 03? Is it pre-owned or a leftover? Let me know and I will see what I can do. I am in Austin, TX, right now thru Thursday on business (in a Cadillac rental - funny story for another day).

GM, where are you???
Old 02-07-2004, 01:39 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

Heck, for my plane ticket back, I'd drive it out there for you (although you may not want the miles on it). I have family in Prineceton Jct that haven't seen me since I got back from the desert. I am pretty confortable in a Boxster since I have had one new since 99. Anyway....just a thought!!

take care....Eric

Quick Reply: WOOO...HOOO...Bought our 2nd P-Car Today