Sponsored by:

Engine Misfiring on '05 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:10 PM
gheetow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Misfiring on '05 Turbo

Wondering if anyone out there might have some insight into this. For the last few days, my '05 Turbo has been running VERY rough and the engine light came on twice, suggesting a misfire (the first time, at least). A few potentially relevant facts:

a) this all started right after an oil change and fuel filler recall service at the dealer.
b) I put in new plugs and coils about 25k ago.
c) the oil cap was left off about 5k miles ago and oil spewed everywhere for 50 miles or so.

Not sure if I should pay for an expensive diagnosis from the dealer or just replace the spark plugs and ignition coils and hope that fixes it.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Old 01-12-2019, 01:40 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by gheetow
Wondering if anyone out there might have some insight into this. For the last few days, my '05 Turbo has been running VERY rough and the engine light came on twice, suggesting a misfire (the first time, at least). A few potentially relevant facts:

a) this all started right after an oil change and fuel filler recall service at the dealer.
b) I put in new plugs and coils about 25k ago.
c) the oil cap was left off about 5k miles ago and oil spewed everywhere for 50 miles or so.

Not sure if I should pay for an expensive diagnosis from the dealer or just replace the spark plugs and ignition coils and hope that fixes it.

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Who left the oil cap off?
Compression test first and foremost.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:02 PM
gheetow
Track Day

The idiot who posted the question...

Thanks. I'll ask about a compression test.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

The idiot who posted the question...

Thanks. I'll ask about a compression test.
I'm fixing some idiot problems on my own right now. It happens. I say compression test only because the coils and plugs are new. If you could find out which cylinder is misfiring with a scanner you could try swapping coils first to see if the misfire follows the coil. Not impossible that you could have a bad one. Plugs should be gapped to .032
Old 01-13-2019, 04:12 PM
gheetow
Track Day

Gotcha. Since you seem to be so well versed on the topic, let me throw a few more things at you and see if they affect your diagnosis... 1) the engine misfires are sporadic; it drives beautifully sometimes and terribly others and 2) I feel like it's been going through a lot more oil than usual for the last ~5k miles.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:33 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Gotcha. Since you seem to be so well versed on the topic, let me throw a few more things at you and see if they affect your diagnosis... 1) the engine misfires are sporadic; it drives beautifully sometimes and terribly others and 2) I feel like it's been going through a lot more oil than usual for the last ~5k miles.
Do a compression test right away before you spend any money. I know it's a pain in the A but you have to rule this out. While you are doing that its a good time to check the plug condition and gap.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:40 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I stress doing a wet compression test is absolutely mandatory. Let's hope you didn't burn any exhaust valves...
Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I stress doing a wet compression test is absolutely mandatory. Let's hope you didn't burn any exhaust valves...
Is a wet test (oil added in the cylinder before testing) needed if the dry tests show no problems? I did a dry test when I did my PPI, and with great results (~190+/-5 psi as I recall) did not add any oil.

Quick Reply: Engine Misfiring on '05 Turbo