Driving in Snow and Ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 02:01 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Driving in Snow and Ice

Hi!

I just put on a set of 18s and Continental M+S tires. I will be doing a lot of mountain driving in the next several years. What is the Board's experience with driving in snow/ice?

Where should the ride height be set on the air suspension setting? What damper setting? Any particular driving tendencies observed? How deep a highway/driveway snow pack can you take it into?

Thanks, everyone!

Craig
Old 01-31-2004, 01:00 PM
snowsled
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig, I live at altitude and see more than my share (unfortunately sometimes) of snow and ice. The Cayenne and it's traction control system are fantastic. However, half of a vehicle's performance on snow and ice depends on the tires. I currently have Bridgestone LM-22 (18" winter wheels) and also have had very good results with the Dunlop WinSport M2 on my A8's. Do not get the Bridgestone WS-55's (or whatever) as they do provide great traction but are NOT speed rated and handle like a wooly catapillar.

In tough conditions I use the comfort setting and whatever ride height that gives me enough clearance. On downhills (like mountain passes) I'll slip the tranmission into manual and let the enigne provide a consistant braking action to check speed. My 2 cents.

Rick
Old 01-31-2004, 01:58 PM
gig
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will drive well, just be aware that SAV weighs over 5000 lbs and on a snow/ice covered (paved) road, it will slide (yet controlled) if you brake hard.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Harbormaster
Instructor

I just put Pirelli Scorpions on as replacement for the stock all season tires that came with the car. Makes ALL the difference here in New England. The stock tires, "all season", certainly don't mean snow season.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:41 AM
MadMan
4th Gear

I've put the Dunlop Winter Sport M2 235/60 R18 for winter season. We have snowy winter here in Poland and I'm impressed with roadholding and braking results when driving on snow or icy roads.

I've compared driving behaviour to my previos 4x4 car (Jeep GC sold last week) with Pirelli Scorions on -> Cayenne with Dunlops giving me much more safety fillings, higher speed limits and more fun :-)
Old 02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Cay
Instructor

Drive Dunlop Winter Sport M2 235/60 R18 and the traction is fantastic by making speed.... Other story is braking - you need a lot of space to get the car stopped, much more than "normal" and lighter cars. So you really have to drive with a lot of concentration even if the car is pulling on snow like others on dry roads. If you switch PSM off and produce oversteering the car slides with a enourmos dynamic and you really need space. If you never owned a SUV before and switch over from normal cars like I did you have to learn first that this weight class behaves completely different.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:03 PM
MadMan
4th Gear

Cay, thanks for warning. It’s getting snowing so I’ll give attention to braking and control feelings and post report soon :-)
Old 02-02-2004, 09:32 AM
AJBoston
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Question on winter tire sizing:

I just got my Cayenne S w/ the 19" wheels. I'm going to get a separate set of winter wheels/tires. A local independent tire dealer I've always dealt with can get me the OEM 18" turbo style wheels with Pirelli Scorpion tires. The only catch is the size is 255 - 55/18 vs. the 235 - 55/18. They have offered this package at $2,560. Best I can find on the winter tire package from a dealer is about $2,800.

Anyone know if this tire size is going to be an issue and how my snow/ice traction/braking will be affected?

Thanks,

AJ
Old 02-02-2004, 09:44 AM
GM Austin
Pro

I believe the winter tire size is 235/60. I have read of others using the 255/55 size with snow tires successfully, even in Alaska. The narrower size is preferred but the tread design and compound are probably bigger factors. Is that Pirelli the Scorpion Snow and Ice?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
AJBoston
Advanced

I'm pretty sure it's the Pirelli Scorpion snow/ice though I have to confirm. I know that narrower/taller is usually better when it comes to winter tires so I ask about the size. They are telling me that both Dunlops and Pirellis in 235/60/18 are sold out for the season. Tire Rack seems to be sold out as well.

Dealers seem to still have the Cayene S wheel with the Dunlop winter tires (GrandTrek I think?) package but I really prefer the Turbo wheel.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:45 AM
AJBoston
Advanced

Yes...it's the Pirelli Scorpion Snow/Ice
Old 02-02-2004, 11:14 AM
GM Austin
Pro

An owner in Alaska is using the Pirelli 255/55 Scorpion Snow and Ice and thinks it's great. Be aware that it is not a Porsche approved tire. Otherwse, sounds like a good choice.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

The Pirelli Scorpion 235/60/18 is the Porsche recommended size.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Cay
Instructor

I asked a Tech from the PAG in Stuttgart before I bought winter tires and I dont wanted this small recommended 235`s... He told me that even the 235`s are strange on the border with Porsche standards and wider tires affect braking on snow heavily and that you cant compare a Cayenne with a 996 ho goes on 265`s without problems.

So I bought the 235`s and I´m happy after my experiences in snow that I dont get the 255`s cuz the Cayenne prob on snow is not acceloration, its clear breaking like written above. The Porsche Tech explained the problem with comparing a body from a ship - its the same effekt - when a ship is wide it needs longer to stop. Braking on dry roads is different cuz a wider tire supports better braking with more rubberspace.

Buttomline from the tech: wider is nicer and smaller is safer in winter.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:54 AM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've been driving on Nokian 235/60's this winter. They are fantastic. The second best thing to come out of Finland.

I bought 19" turbo wheels and summer tires, expecting to use the standard S wheels and tires in the winter. Forget it! The standard 18" all weather tires were no match for the weight of the car.

If anyone's looking for 255/55 18's I've got a set for sale. Good in the wet, but not on ice.

Quick Reply: Driving in Snow and Ice