Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camber effects for air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Camber effects for air suspension?

I was wondering if the camber changes when the level of the suspension is changed to different settings.

Does the Cayenne have negative camber at low levels, positive camber at high levels and is near zero at normal level? Or does the suspension keep the camber relatively the same.

I ask because I wonder if setting low level all the time will effect tire wear.

Also, the lowering modules, like the techart, lower the car even more. So if the camber is altered, wouldn't lowering it more really eat up the tires?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked my dealer the same question.

His reply was that the camber angles are calibtrated to be correct for the full range of motion of the suspension with Porsch supplied wheels / tires.

hmmm
Old 01-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Periokid
Pro

Now, is your dealer correct? I have certainly received incorrect information from my dealer.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah now there's a good question to which I have no answer because I don't think PCA share to much with them.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:19 PM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were a few reports that low level causes tire wear on the inside edge greater than outside edge. I think 20" tires were in question. Do search to find more details.

I know when I park truck to wash it, I drop it from normal to loading level and the wheels slide out a bit. Didn't notice camber. I have now started practicing rolling back and forth while lowering vs. stationary.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:43 AM
loliver
Instructor

I replaced my tires at 10000 miles. I always drive in sport mode and the lowest setting. The front tires had cord showing on the insides. 20" tires.
I am having the alignment checked at the dealer next week.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:39 PM
snowsled
Track Day

OK, I'm starting to feel pretty dumb. I keep reading posts where the height of the suspension is being changed to the lowest level while stationary. Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), the lowest height setting can only be acheived when the vehicle is traveling over 130 MPH. In fact, my suspension moves back to the normal height (from the 2nd lowest) after I restart the vehicle. Comments?

Maybe something is wrong. I have the TT at the dealer today for a replacement part that will enable tire inflation air to operate properly. Maybe my ride height situation is tied in with this?

Rick
03 Cayenne TT
Old 01-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Periokid
Pro

snowsled,

The air suspension has 5 user selectable settings. If I am correct, there is actually six settings. The setting you speak of is between low level and load level. That activates at very high speed automatically and is not user selectable.

We speak of driving in low level on a daily basis.

If you have the suspension set at LOAD level, it will automatically go to normal level once you start moving. If set to LOW level, it should stay at LOW level (at least mine does).
Old 01-29-2004, 04:20 PM
snowsled
Track Day

Thanks for the response David. I may not be using the correct terminology. When I pick up my vehicle tonight I will go through the height settings with the tech and clear up any misconceptions.

"Normal" (to me) is the middle setting (light indicator #3 on the display)and "low" is the lowest (indicator #1). I'll have the Tech give me his best explainaion and try it out. I find that this board's participants have better information regarding eveyday driving issues.

Rick
Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Periokid
Pro

I see where you are getting confused...

Normal = middle (#3)
Low level = next level down (#2)
LOAD level = lowest possible setting only for loading vehicle (will go to Normal (middle) setting once the car starts moving. (#1)
Old 01-29-2004, 07:59 PM
JeffES
Pro

Yes.
Suspension settings are modified at different ride heights. The "Low" or load setting to highest movement is the best to "see" the tire movement. Try this: set it at "load", then have someone (you're watching from outside) change the setting while rolling the Cayenne a few feet forwards or backwards - you'll really see the changes.
I'm sure that a given setting may be best for tire wear, whilst different settings provide better grip/traction. This is the case for other vehicles with height adjust suspensions.
J
Old 01-30-2004, 12:04 PM
snowsled
Track Day

Got my car back last night from the dealer and everything appears to be working fine. I had the rear window latch button replaced (a fairly common problem from what the dealer told me) and the ride height works well enough for now. There is still a quirky problem that exists that the dealer has solicited help from Porsche.

David, You are correct. The very lowest setting (#1 LED) is LOAD level and can be attained when the car is not moving. As soon as the speed goes above 10 +/- MPH the suspension automatically raises to the "LOW" setting (#2 LED). I couldn't do that before. All other levels work fine. It appears that each level changes the height of the car by about 1".
Old 01-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Periokid
Pro

Snowsled,

The suspension is supposed to go to normal setting from load level. Check that.

Quick Reply: Camber effects for air suspension?