Sponsored by:

Shut down, suggestions requested

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Shut down, suggestions requested

So I am currently shut down by the side of the road... 2004 CTT. It is low on gas, but still 1/4 tanks. Starts and runs for 5-10 seconds then seems to starved of fuel. Isn't there a trick to get the other pump to run so I can make it home? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Pull fuse 13 or 14 in the engine compartment fuse box. It's one of those.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:08 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Thanks J - I got it out of the way and did a search; pulled 14 and it ran fine and I got it home. Sucks that it went but glad it has 2 pumps! Definitely the pump, put the fuse back in at home and it leaned out and died again.

Now for the fun world of fuel pump replacement.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:30 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Zak,

Have you had the Fuel Flange Recall done? I just had mine done last week.. and They take out the whole pump assembly from what I can tell to replace the seals.... Might save you some $$ if you have them replace the pump at the same time.

Just a thought?

MK
Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Thanks MK, I had the same thought! It is the primary, left side pump that is toast so it's also the side with the filter on top of it. I never bring my Cayenne into Porsche as a rule, and do all the work myself, but this time it might be worth negotiating with them. They are going to be right there anyways...I'll post with their response. I think since you have to open up the other side as well to connect one of the hoses for a pump replacement they will probably balk at it. I Also kind of doubt they will be accommodating; there is a lot of attitude at the dealership we have in town here. I would actually not mind if they just gave me the filter for free and I put it in myself when changing the pump, but I somehow doubt they will do that.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:26 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same happened to my 2004 CTT last winter. Left pump died.
I replaced both pumps, the filter, and the pressure regulator.

My tank had just been filled, I had to pump out 10gallons to get enough out to replace the pumps.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:01 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Default Right Side

i know that part of the recall procedure is they have to Inspect the right side as well. They may not be cracking it open, but they at least have to uncover it.

Good Luck.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:37 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
Same happened to my 2004 CTT last winter. Left pump died.
I replaced both pumps, the filter, and the pressure regulator.

My tank had just been filled, I had to pump out 10gallons to get enough out to replace the pumps.
Fortunately I am at about a quarter of a tank. I am actually thinking of just doing the left pump. I talked to the parts guy at Porsche here, who I kind of trust, and he said in the shop they replace many more left pumps, and that the secondary lasts longer because it is not used as much. Makes sense to replace everything if you are in there, but in the US you can get the VDO pumps for like $250, but in Canada with the exchange and shipping the Porsche dealer part works out to be almost the same at 430$ So getting everything starts to add up. I think I will do the primary and the filter to get me back on the road, then I can always do the secondary later.

Originally Posted by MKITGO2
i know that part of the recall procedure is they have to Inspect the right side as well. They may not be cracking it open, but they at least have to uncover it.

Good Luck.
Thanks MK. So I asked my better half to negotiate with Porsche (as I sometimes don't play well with others she's parts and I'm service), and they said they would put the pump in for 0.5 hrs extra labor ($81 here) while they are doing the filter under recall. Which is pretty reasonable of them, so I might suck it up and bring it in on Thursday. At least they have the pump in stock so I can get to this right away.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:09 AM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Ha ha... That's hilarious! I was gonna suggest something similar (having someone else cal) because I am the exact same, I alienate the shops because they don't like that I am not completely clueless and I make them justify their work/recommendations and if they're out to lunch, I'll do it myself .

My wife has to do the same for me... She's got the better demenor for the subtle hints and requests... It's a good system!

If you do go the DIY route .check out Rock Auto and FCPEuro, I've been surprised by their shipping lately and both have the VDO unit. I think Rock is in CAD too.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:57 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Yeah, it must be a Canadian thing! It's like when you go in and say, "hey, I've got a set of Triple Square sockets in the back, if you could use those for the seat belt mounting bolts instead of stripping them with a 6 point Torx that would be great", they seem to just get pissed off right away!
Old 11-26-2018, 01:47 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

So to (hopefully) conclude this tale, I wound up passing on the offer to replace the pump with the fuel filter recall work. This was in part because I thought I wanted to do it myself (what was I thinking...), and in part because I needed it fixed sooner rather than later. I have always disliked doing fuel pumps, mainly from Jeeps and other vehicles where you have to drop the tank to get to it, but pretty easy access comparatively on the CTT. Went OK, I just did the primary (left, driver's side). When I started I had planned on bringing it in later for the recall and a new fuel filter, but when I looked at my filter it was fine, none of the cracking that is related to the recall at all. Almost looks like a different material than the recalled ones to. So I took it apart and cleaned out the filter and I will in reality probably not take it in until the other pump goes.

I did want to make a few comments on things I wasn't ready for, even after reading all the DIY's. First off mine is a 2004 CTT, and the first confusing part was it had 2 right side original design pumps in it from the factory. At first I blamed the shop that the previous owner took it to, who screwed up so many other things on it, but the carpets had not been cut and the plates never removed so this had to be from the factory. Not a big deal, in that with the original pump design the only difference between the right and left pumps are the angle of the connectors, I believe. But strange anyway.

Next thing was there are DIYs out there that are not quite correct. And with the number of identical looking brown plastic hoses in there, it can be a bit confusing. I don't know if over-engineered is the appropriate term, but it is not as simple as one pump working when it is full and the other when it is low, there are cross feeds and the tank itself is divided and the two sides empty at different rates and all that.

So for practical information, for people replacing the old version pump for the new version, when you disconnect the old pump there are just 4 lines to keep track of. One goes from the pump to the filter above, one goes from the pump across to the other side, one goes from the pump into a line that disappears into the tank somewhere, and there is a black hose coming from the tank that clips onto the top of the pump and just sort of drains into it.

When you put the new pump in, the big plastic clear(ish) tube that comes out of the center of the pump goes up to the filter (only fits in one spot), the thin clear tube goes into the one that disappears into the tank, the long tube that comes out of a fitting on the top of the new pump goes across to the other side (and connects to the Y connector), and the black hose clips into a similar spot on the new pump.

Now the parts guys and online sites say if you are going from an old version pump to a new version you need a right angle adaptor, which I bought, but couldn't figure out what to do with it. When you look at the parts diagram, it attaches to the fuel filter, but I found it didn't fit on the connector that went to the new pump, but it did fit on the other fuel filter connector. So I didn't use it. The only thing that made sense to me is it is necessary if you are replacing both pumps together, and the other fuel filter connector goes across to the right side which is shorter if you replace that pump as well. Bottom line is I didn't use it.

The only other thing is with the new version pump the power connector in the tank is shorter, and a real pain to clip into the fuel filter, but it can be done if everything is routed correctly. On that note, when you attach the large diameter hose from the pump to the fuel filter, loop it under the black hose first. Everything fits better that way once the filter is back in place. I didn't take pictures; I was in too foul a mood...

So now the CTT is back on the road and I must say, humming like a turbo jet. Didn't think an old pump and a dirty filter could make a noticeable difference but it is definitely running smoother, and clocking in more HP on my Torque app. Probably all change in a few days but for now, all is well.

Quick Reply: Shut down, suggestions requested