brake controller with factory tow package

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, using a WDH on a PASM equipped P!g will really p!ss off the warranty coverage.

It's been covered here in the P!g Pen before
Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
tetice
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Budget M3
Thanks for the thorough response, tetice. The trailer I am picking up is an Airstream travel trailer, and is what I would characterize as "partially loaded" (dishes, linens, pots, pans, hoses, etc). It is fairly light (~3000lbs dry, ~4000lbs GVW) and should have a tongue weight well within the Cayenne's limits.

My initial thought was as you recommended--tow it without the WDH. However, since the WDH is already on the trailer, it may be just as much hassle to remove it as it will be to get it properly set up. One thing the WDH will do is to adjust the height of the hitch ball to allow for a level trailer to tow vehicle connection, so it might be worth a try. My primary concern, as you point out, are the electronic stability controls. I have no idea how WDH might affect those.

Anyone else out there with experience in this area?
Assuming you have a typical Reese WDH similar to to one in the attached photo, while it may be installed, you can simply bypass the WD function by not using the WD bars. What you will be left with is a WDH insert with the appropriately sized hitch ball. That should be fine with the possible exception of the fact that a WDH insert extends out much further than the factory Porsche/VW insert. This very short factory insert is part of the "secret" to why the Cayenne/Touareg have as high of a tongue weight/tow rating that they do. If you have the OEM insert, you will be far better off using it if it has the right size ball and is at approximately the right height for level towing of your trailer.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: brake controller with factory tow package