CTT Year Engine Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CTT Year Engine Differences?

Hello,

I'm still in the process of repairing my 05 CTT - I'm sourcing a new engine and I have two options; there is an 04 engine with 114k miles or an 05 engine with 122k miles. Are there any actual differences between these two? I'm more concerned with any possible mid year changes that improve durability, etc. Please let me know what you think.

-Will
Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The 2004 engines were made pretty well. Porsche had lots of time to ensure quality control of every process back then.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dilberto
The 2004 engines were made pretty well. Porsche had lots of time to ensure quality control of every process back then.
You would think modern manufacturing would be down to a science, but you never know! By that logic, you don't think there would be any issues putting a 2004 engine into a 2005/the 2004 engine isn't any "worse" than the 2005?

-Will
Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

What happened to yours, again?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 AM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dilberto
What happened to yours, again?
Long story short, I bought a basket case care for next to nothing. I didn't know what was wrong with it at the time, but turns out it has a roasted exhaust valve on cylinder 3. 155k miles. Damage probably caused by lack of maintenance. The cost to repair the burnt valve is more than just swapping in a new motor with less miles, so that is the route I chose. I'll repair the spare engine at a later date to create a good engine, as it ran perfectly and had zero leakdown on the good cylinders.

I just want to make sure if I end up with an 04 engine, there wont be any improvements I will miss out on AKA I could just hold out until I get a 2005 or later engine.

-Will
Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

The only difference is the 05+06 have a strainer in the camshaft circuit oil feeds and the 03+04 do not.

I can't imagine how fixing the valve would be more expensive than the swap if you were doing it yourself. If you do not do that type of work then you are headed down a slippery slope with this vehicle and I would advise anybody considering picking up up a "fixer" or basket case to heed the warnings of the more experienced members here.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
The only difference is the 05+06 have a strainer in the camshaft circuit oil feeds and the 03+04 do not.

I can't imagine how fixing the valve would be more expensive than the swap if you were doing it yourself. If you do not do that type of work then you are headed down a slippery slope with this vehicle and I would advise anybody considering picking up up a "fixer" or basket case to heed the warnings of the more experienced members here.
I did not know about that!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 PM
1999Aero911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious, what are the prices of the engines you are looking at? Only reason I ask is that I will have a 04 CTT engine for sale in a couple months with only 69k miles and am looking for comparisons.

Best of luck with your engine swap.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Aero911
Just curious, what are the prices of the engines you are looking at? Only reason I ask is that I will have a 04 CTT engine for sale in a couple months with only 69k miles and am looking for comparisons.

Best of luck with your engine swap.
If only you were selling it sooner, I'd be interested! I just bought the one with 122k for $1900. Sounds like a deal to me. The prices seem to range from 1800 up to 3000 depending on miles. One with 69k would do 3k all day long.

-Will
Old 10-23-2018, 09:48 PM
Cayenne955TT
Advanced

Originally Posted by J'sWorld

Good info to have, that is exactly what I was looking for!

On the topic of price/fixing, etc. Here is my logic - First of all, I need the car operational; winter is here, I refuse to work on this outdoors, and I don't have an indoor shop I can use long term (we are selling our house). Second, for the total cost that I'll have into a *lower mile* and perfectly running engine, it is a no brainer. Third, I'm going to repair this engine when it is out of the car and keep it as a spare (maybe find another car that needs an engine, etc). I do mostly all of my own work, but also know when it is more cost effective to leave it to someone else. For instance, my engine builder is so cheap and so good, there is literally no reason for me to ever build an engine myself anymore. My car seems to be in excellent condition otherwise, and anything short of an engine swap is something I'd probably tackle myself. Not only have I been a mechanic since I was about 9 years old, but all of my friends are, and my one buddy is a master Mercedes benz tech. I'm surely not scared of working on this car... What is the worst that happens I spend some money? Who cares it brings me joy haha

-Will

Quick Reply: CTT Year Engine Differences?