Sponsored by:

Something peeling off on roof of 957

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 02:21 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Something peeling off on roof of 957

95,000 miles, always in CA, warm climate (not mountains) and appears to have been garaged before I got it 3 years ago because headlight lenses only have a very small area where they are getting just a tiny bit hazed.

Washed car today after a vacation on the NorCal shore in cool and often foggy weather and noticed it looked like 3 places on the roof (2 ahead of the small sunroof opening, and one larger area aft of the sunroof opening) were peeling. I'm not sure if this is the clear coat peeling or something the dealer put on the car, like some sort of "glaze" that makes paint look better than it really is... temporarily? I'm not familiar with any products like that, but quite possible something exists. The appearance is much like the way sunburned human skin looks when there is a sunburn area with a "dry" peel (rather than blisters) so that there's a smooth spot in the middle where the skin is already peeled and there's dead skin around the perimeter in a random pattern. It seems like it might be thinner than the clear coat, but I have to say, the paint that is exposed without this coating, while not "flat" doesn't look shine-y or "deep" the way the still-perfect rest of the paint looks. Not that it probably matters, but the paint color is dark red metallic.. 2008 S -- are there issues with peeling clear coat or did I just get unlucky? Or did the dealer do this to tart-up the look of the car before reselling?
Old 09-22-2018, 05:08 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

If you have pics that would be helpful, but from the description, it sounds like clear coat is failing.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:32 PM
sowalsup
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it look like this? I saw this on a 2009 for sale:
Old 09-22-2018, 11:46 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That looks like failing clear coat to me. I don't think its a common issue with Porsche paint jobs. Has the car had any paint or body work done on it before?

Is it possible the car got hail damaged and was repaired?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:08 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hail is really uncommon here. There would have been no reason I can think of to clear coat the roof... no accidents. But you never know if it had been driven into the mountains where chances of hail are far higher than more typical elevations. It does look a lot like the flake-y bit in the zig-zag of the spoiler. Looking more and more like the clear coat is just giving up, perhaps the spots I have were too lightly sprayed to adhere to the color coat properly.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:58 AM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It's kind of odd to see a factory paint job failing so soon. I've seen it happen when a car was over polished or when it was repainted poorly.

It's an unusual color for a Cayenne - was it maybe repainted to that color?

Either way the fix is a repaint. There's no fixing clear coat failure. The spoiler will probably be easy but other areas less so. Plus you might end up in a situation where you fix one panel and then another panel starts showing problems.

Vinyl wrap maybe?
Old 09-23-2018, 06:24 AM
Stamatis
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this issue in the past.
It appears that in my case the car was full of swirls and small love marks made by the previous owner who used to wash it with a rag and a bucket full of dishwasher soap.
Before selling it he had the car polished and the detailer went too deep on the clearcoat so it peeled at many areas.
Had a partial repaint and as expected the rest of the car looked dull and old.
Wrapped it and sold it with pictures of the cars condition before wrapping.
Lost some money there and learned a good lesson.

Quick Reply: Something peeling off on roof of 957