Sponsored by:

DIY Guys, How Much Labor to Replace Starter 955

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:35 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 997PT2C4S
I was just at Porsche of Tysons getting the fuel flange recall performed on my 2006 Turbo, they were friendly but I share the same sentiment as you. I’ve been disappointed with a Porsche Indy shop located across the street from the dealer in Tysons as well, I hope you aren’t using them. Feel free to PM me, I’ve vetted all of the local shops and have some recommendations if you need anything done.
They've turned over so much in the service dept, glad you got someone nice. They've historically always been pleasant, so they have that going for them. That said, I've left several messages about my fuel flange recall and have not been called back or scheduled. Guess I'll have to drop in.

Regarding mechanics, I use a guy named Zoli or Euroboost, shares space with Odds and Ends Detailing in Sterling. He's been outstanding, would trust him with any job on the Cayenne. I only ask questions to be an informed consumer. I have a great mechanic. Highly recommend him for anyone within easy drive of Sterling, VA.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:05 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts

Good to know - his rates r very reasonable!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:40 PM
997PT2C4S
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
They've turned over so much in the service dept, glad you got someone nice. They've historically always been pleasant, so they have that going for them. That said, I've left several messages about my fuel flange recall and have not been called back or scheduled. Guess I'll have to drop in.

Regarding mechanics, I use a guy named Zoli or Euroboost, shares space with Odds and Ends Detailing in Sterling. He's been outstanding, would trust him with any job on the Cayenne. I only ask questions to be an informed consumer. I have a great mechanic. Highly recommend him for anyone within easy drive of Sterling, VA.
I would recommend dropping by, that's how I finally got it done. I dealt with Brad Hush, they had the part in stock and I was able to bring my truck in the next day for service. I was on a "list" for what seems like over a year, no call. They are quick to email and call me about wanting to buy my 911 though...

Is your starter completely dead or are you starting to get longer than normal cranking times?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:07 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997PT2C4S
I would recommend dropping by, that's how I finally got it done. I dealt with Brad Hush, they had the part in stock and I was able to bring my truck in the next day for service. I was on a "list" for what seems like over a year, no call. They are quick to email and call me about wanting to buy my 911 though...

Is your starter completely dead or are you starting to get longer than normal cranking times?
The cranking is feeling labored, if that makes sense. First turnover feels strained and then fires right up. I've had this particular Cayenne for four years I think and I know I've changed the battery in that time, probably at least two years ago, maybe three. Might be worth doing that again next year if the starter doesn't die in the interim. I do trickle charge the Cayenne some though when not driving her much, may do that again now and see if it seems less strained on a completely full charge. I can wait, observe.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

The cranking is feeling labored, if that makes sense. First turnover feels strained and then fires right up. I've had this particular Cayenne for four years I think and I know I've changed the battery in that time, probably at least two years ago, maybe three. Might be worth doing that again next year if the starter doesn't die in the interim. I do trickle charge the Cayenne some though when not driving her much, may do that again now and see if it seems less strained on a completely full charge. I can wait, observe.
That does make sense.

Does it do the 'short crank and stop' thing? Where the starter makes a very short (like 1/4 of a revolution of the motor) crank and stops? Then you have to turn the key to off to try again?

That and the 'slow & labored' cranking are signs that the starter is getting old. It may well last a long time that way. Mine had been doing it for the previous owner for over a year, and it was six months before I did the pipe and it kept on going (no better, no worse).
I replaced the starter while I was doing the pipes because I really didn't want to pull all that apart again.

All the starter issues went away. It cranked faster than it ever had.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
That does make sense.

Does it do the 'short crank and stop' thing? Where the starter makes a very short (like 1/4 of a revolution of the motor) crank and stops? Then you have to turn the key to off to try again?

That and the 'slow & labored' cranking are signs that the starter is getting old. It may well last a long time that way. Mine had been doing it for the previous owner for over a year, and it was six months before I did the pipe and it kept on going (no better, no worse).
I replaced the starter while I was doing the pipes because I really didn't want to pull all that apart again.

All the starter issues went away. It cranked faster than it ever had.
You know I think mine is sounding pretty similar to what you're describing. Old and tired but hanging in there I put the trickle charger on it overnight and there was no difference, as expected. I guess we'll just keep an eye, leave the starter in the box in the garage for a while.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:16 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

My starter never failed. But it was exhibiting slow crank, kazoo, and short crank. New starter fixed all of these. All of these symptoms had been present for the 10 years of my ownership. All were get worse slowly.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:41 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

You can either take off the plastic retainer at the back of the coolant pipes and just barely pull up on the pipes to get that last mm of clearance to wiggle the starter out, or you can also take off the top of the thermo housing and lift it out of the way with the pipes attached to get the starter out. You can even re use the MLS gasket on the thermo housing and it likely will not leak.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:43 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

We charge 3.5
Old 09-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO my local dealer isn't even a competent option at any price. When I needed lower control arms, they misdiagnosed as a strut prob and quoted me $4k to replace ONE. Actually, I believe that was just their price for the part. Shame, Porsche of Tysons used to be a decent dealership. Now it's run by a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun.
Good info! Thanks for sharing the local shop alternative as well.

(back to lurking)

Old 11-09-2018, 09:20 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Doubt anyone on pins and needles, but I haven't been around in a while and thought I'd close the loop. I hate finding threads that ask questions and the OP never bother's reporting back. So, replaced the starter and low and behold, it starts better. Yay. Starts like a new car now. Labor was about $400. Well worth the peace of mind.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 382 Posts

Doubt anyone on pins and needles, but I haven't been around in a while and thought I'd close the loop. I hate finding threads that ask questions and the OP never bother's reporting back. So, replaced the starter and low and behold, it starts better. Yay. Starts like a new car now. Labor was about $400. Well worth the peace of mind.
Nice to hear!!! Follow up is always great

Quick Reply: DIY Guys, How Much Labor to Replace Starter 955