Sponsored by:

08 CS Water pump differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 02:57 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 08 CS Water pump differences

I am in the process of replacing water pump, thermostat and the pump pulley (P2181 code). Vehicle has about 108k miles. I took the old pump off (OEM?) and am looking at the new one (GEBA), there is a big difference. The one that came from the P!G is nice and smooth whereas the new pump is all rough. I also looked on pelican parts, rmeuropean and esc tuning and the non OEM looks like "unfinished" impellers.

Pump from the vehicle at 108k miles

GEBA

New GEBA pump on the right.

Is this normal? Thoughts? Should I cough up the money and get Porsche pump or will the one I have work?

Many thanks and cheers!
-K

Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Quick update. Water pump, thermostat and pulley replaced. I noticed squeaking noise from the new water pump. It comes and goes. Looks like I may have to do this all over again... ugh.

Drove about 15-20 miles and coolant level seems fine. Need to check it once it cools completely. I noticed the temperatures going up to 217F at traffic light but turning on A/C brought it down quickly.
Normal driving w/ A/C on, the temperature was at 192-194 degrees. With heater at full blast, it stayed around 190 deg. Temperature at intake was 104 when stopped and temperature around her was in the high 80s today while driving.

I cleared the P2181 code and it has not returned, but the real test will be tomorrow morning when I start it at cold.

Cheers!
-K
Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Only buy the OEM Hepu or LASO brand pumps!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM
europorsche914
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Only buy the OEM Hepu or LASO brand pumps!
Ditto, that GEBA looks to be a cast impeller, totally different fab process from OEM
Old 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Looked online for :LASO pump pictures and it looks similar to GEBA. Can anyone confirm please? I might just get the Porsche brand and replace the bad GEBA.

Here is an observation that might help understanding. The noise might be coming when the thermostat is closed and goes away when open. Tell me if I am thinking correctly... thermostat is closed when temperature is not up and opens when coolant temp is up. Correct? How does temperature come into play?

I looked at the t-stat and the parts and it looks different from the other t-stats I have replaced. I do not understand how the coolant flows when it is open/closed.

Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:23 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I've got to say, those are easily the two coolest automotive water pumps I have ever seen.

From a fluid flow standpoint, and based only on those photos, yes, I agree, it looks like the Porsche one will be more efficient (bigger, smoother blades). But I expect the replacement has been engineered to meet whatever requirements it needs, perhaps adding durability and reducing cost.

Was anything wrong with the water pump in the first place? Is putting that one back on an option?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:12 PM
europorsche914
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would just get the oem pump for $80 more than the geba: https://www.porschepartsnow.com/oem-...ly-94810603301
Old 08-06-2018, 04:48 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Oldskewel: You're welcome! My thoughts exactly. the Porsche pump seems more efficient. There wasn't anything wrong w/ the pump, but I believe it is original. With 108k miles on the P!G, I thought it would be wise to replace it.
Europorsche914: I wish I had seen that link before I purchased the GEBO pump. I would have certainly bought it. Interestingly, the LASO is the cheapest on Pelican parts website and GEBO is pricier than LASO.

Does anyone know if the T-stat can cause the squeaking noise? Can someone explain how that T-stat operates inside the housing?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I have LASO in my 09 GTS, it is Identical to the OEM and absolutely top-notch. Highly recommend.

Quick Reply: 08 CS Water pump differences