Sponsored by:

Comments on my NAV...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 10:46 PM
DanP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comments on my NAV...

Well, the NAV in my CT was the first I ever had so I couldn't understand why some complained...

Just happened to upgrade my wife's MDX to a newer one today that had NAV, drove it tonight.

Wow! The entire UI (user interface) is leaps and bounds ahead. Forget the manual, just start using the touch screen, plus voice activated.

Entire US showed up, and the joystick navigation is cool.

When I asked my wife where the CD/DVD's were for it, she stared at me blankly... didn't even know they were needed or where installed, everything just worked (I'm sure there is a DVD in the trunk somewhere).

Data entry is fantastic, a QWERTY keyboard just shows up on the display, and there are all kinds of options. Plus it talks in miles and increments thereof rather than yards, etc. Split display is great.

Just a shame that mine seems so "antiquated" right off the bat.

BUT, on the plus side:

The Porsche NAV screen is hugely "prettier" than the Acura one. Not just better looking but way more understandable in the map colors, etc.

Not that I care, but if I needed to impress someone with the Porsche I think showing the nice map would complement nicely. In the Acura some other screen would be much better looking.

And, way more important for those of you who use the NAV: when finding a tight address in a busy section of town, it is great to have the directions right there on the dash (CT), having to look down at where the radio would be is not good at all.

Anyway, just a quick vent.

P.s.: The color rearview camera when in reverse gear is great!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:52 PM
GM Austin
Pro

The Germans can't seem to keep up on Nav systems. I have seen the MDX system as well. It's great. Same deal with the Toyota system, the RX-330 has a great Nav system with a touch screen. BMW and Mercedes have pretty much the same clunky UI as the Porsche. But, any of the built in systems work better than an add on system so I am not really complaining. And, we drive Porsche's for reasons other than Nav systems anyway.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:29 AM
DanP
Instructor

>>And, we drive Porsche's for reasons other than Nav systems anyway.

Oh, please don't get me wrong, these are just comments on a new toy (from a 5 time Porsche owner, 4 of which without cup holders <g>).
Old 01-15-2004, 03:41 AM
dawktah
Racer

I may be wrong on this one, but isn't the Cayenne the first Porsche "designed" for the American market? Toyota and Honda have been making cars for the "American consumer" for so long that they create technology for us to get suckered into. So much so they created Lexus and Acura just for us! These brands don't exist outside of U.S. even though the cars do.

I'm afraid of what Porsche would have charged for a DVD, QWERTY, NAV system. I need to read the info on "life" of my $80 fire extinguisher
Old 01-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing that really perplexes me is the detail of the map display; I have Nav in a 2000 BMW 740iL and both the 740 and the Cayenne use Navtech CDs.
The confusing thing is that the BMW (which is using a map that came with the car in 2000) has better street detail in my suburban area than the brand new ver 3.0 that just arrived last week.
I can live with the "uniquenesses" of the menus and interface but it's bit frustrating that the Cayenne can't even find the street that I live on when my BMW from 2000 can (5 year old neighborhood).
Nothing is perfect - I still think it's a great vehicle but some things could have been done better.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:35 PM
KatyTX
Advanced

I have the NAV in my MDX. Very intuitive.

You missed the best feature - touch screen and DVD (BTW Player located under passanger seat).

I will definitiely get one installed for my 993 TT when it arrives in a few days.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:47 PM
JeffES
Pro

Rick,
That's a NavTech problem. I've noticed that they've been dropping quite a lot of data lately - my neighborhood has "come & gone" on a variety of systems. Seems there's an opportunity for another vendor there. As far as touch screen, I'm not too fond of them - especially after a few "touches" with suntan lotion on fingertips - it really leaves a mess on the screen, and I wind up having to "wipe it down". I do prefer joysticks/keypads, but YMMV. BTW, the Pacifica has it's display in the center of the IP. Kinda neat.
Remember too that the Germans tend to overengineer systems (I know, that's a news flash....). Someday they'll move towards user friendliness. Maybe.
J

Quick Reply: Comments on my NAV...