Sponsored by:

Porsche remote lock/unlock

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:13 AM
bb45
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche remote lock/unlock

I have enjoyed the last two new Porsches I've purchased (02 996 and 04 Cayenne) but one feature failure bugs me day in and day out. I can't believe how Porsche's engineers would settle for a remote key lock/unlock feature that works so poorly. ALL of my japanese cars and ALL of my BMW's have worked better than this. Porsche...you've got to be kidding with this lame intermittent system! What's wrong with you guys? This is perhaps the most used feature for most car owners. Every time the key fob doesn't work on the way into and on the way out-of the car, it makes a statement about the quality of your product! Why can't you get this right?
Can't you send someone over to Toyota and have them teach you how to make this system work? My wife's $25,000 Prius does it great. For $65,000 this should not be an issue.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:21 AM
beelz0308
AutoX

What seems to be the problem? I'm curious to know since I'm receiving my Cayenne S in a couple of days
Old 01-14-2004, 03:29 AM
bb45
Intermediate

The problem is that the key fob rarely works unless you're within arms reach of the door handle and usually not then either. I've tried to narrow down the reasons (low battery in fob, something blocking signal to car) but it's so random it's frustrating.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:43 AM
Soccerdad
4th Gear

My servicer consultant told me that you have to within an arm reach of the door handle or behind the rear door, because the sensor is located above the rear glass window. I also find this annoying and poorly engineered for a $65k car. Many times, my wife and kids arrived to the car ahead of me and they have to wait until I got close to the car to unlock it.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:57 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You should have ordered Entry & Drive!! You wouldn't have to take the key out of your pocket then!! Don't see any $25k cars with that
Old 01-14-2004, 04:59 AM
beelz0308
AutoX

Guess the topic of Drive and Entry opens up another can of worms... with the big issue of not auto-locking when you walk away. I ended up dropping that option from my list of must-haves after reading about all the complaints about the unpredictibilty of D&E.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:26 AM
OVRSTR
Instructor

I agree, the range of the key fob truly sucks! It should be much better like every other vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:30 PM
dawktah
Racer

Well its time to start on a hack. Its a simple electronic device that should be able to be modified? Just thinking out loud. As far as Entry & Drive goes I have narrowed it down to the combination of Entry & Drive with Electric Comfort package. Not having issues with new C since this one does not have Electric Comfort Package.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Cay
Instructor

Originally posted by bb45
The problem is that the key fob rarely works unless you're within arms reach of the door handle and usually not then either. I've tried to narrow down the reasons (low battery in fob, something blocking signal to car) but it's so random it's frustrating.
dont understand whats wrong with that? whats the sense to remote your looks when you are 2 miles away? with this range its impossible to unlock your car in accident when you are "playing" in your pockets. seems you are very satisfied with your car when this thing bothers you :-)
Old 01-14-2004, 02:26 PM
bb45
Intermediate

Cay, no one is proposing that it work some ridiculous distance from the car. If it’s raining, I want the car unlocked when I get there so a range of 25 feet would be practical.
Sometimes I’m not sure if I remembered to lock it and would like to be able to check without returning all the way to the car. Surely you are not exempt from these everyday occurrences. There is a standard that many of us recognize and expect.
Also, I don’t subscribe to the school of thought that says “everything else is pretty cool, so live with it” when I’m paying 65K for a car and the industry standards are not met or exceeded on all levels. But hey, if you’re satisfied, good for you!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM
dchoutx
Intermediate

I experience the same problem on my TT. Also, often I will return to unlock the vehicle and it repeatedly wants to continue to lock (beep,beep).

I am intimately familiar with the VW T-reg. Early T-regs had a very similar short to no range issue. VW performed a campaign to re-locate the antenna for the remote rcver. which solved the problem. I don't know how similar the T-reg and C are with this component but Porsche needs to "Fix it".

I do not have Entry and Drive in my TT (VW calls it "Keyless Entry), although the VW system is very temperamental...........
Old 01-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Cay
Instructor

Originally posted by bb45
There is a standard that many of us recognize and expect.
Also, I don’t subscribe to the school of thought that says “everything else is pretty cool, so live with it” when I’m paying 65K for a car and the industry standards are not met or exceeded on all levels. But hey, if you’re satisfied, good for you!
Hya,

yes, I am mostly satisfied - with the remote too. And I´m happy that the PAG dont look to close in "Toyotas" cuz it have allready too much "Toyota" stuff inside like this thousands bells wich reminds you - or better bothers you to hell - for every little crap. The way you need to slam the back hatch to close it is much worser when you dont order the electrical comfy feature, fortunally my dealer refitted the back hatch motor. Maybe your dealer can refit your car with aftermarket central lock wich have a wider range? No car on the world is 100% perfect - have nothing to do with saying yes to all.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:01 PM
bbturbodad
Intermediate

My two complaints are that the key is HUGE and that it doesn't have seperate lock and unlock buttons.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad that Porsche didn't take a lot of direction from other car manufacturer but I'm disappointed with the functionality of the remote.

I don't expect it to operate from 2 miles but I think it's reasonable to have it work from more than 2-3 feet and I also think it's reasonable that it should work reliably/consistently at a reliable distance. I've had several situations where I've literally been 2 feel from the door and it won't open - that's not acceptable.

I've talked to my dealer and they can't find a way to improve it. It's unique to the Cayenne - my 993 remote works from 30-50 feet consistently...my 951 remote works well from 20-30 feet.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:07 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is by far the worst remote I've used out of all my cars.

Don't get me started on the GPS Navigation. The worst system to navigate through ever. No pun intented.

Porsche can make a hell of a engine/car, but when it comes to ergos, send them over to Japan for some training.

Quick Reply: Porsche remote lock/unlock