Sponsored by:

2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (955) Coolant everywhere :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:26 AM
ThunderMerweS
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (955) Coolant everywhere :(

Good day from Sunny, albeit a little cool, South Africa.

Ever since I bought my car around 3 years ago, I have been an avid follower and reader on this forum.

I first read up before making my purchase, on possible things to look at before purchasing. And also what preventative maintenance need to be done to induce a longer life.

I have gone through some of the problems to be expected including and not limited to:
  1. Center carrier bearing replacement
  2. Brittle and broken water T's and various other coolant pipes.
  3. New brake rotors and pads
  4. New shocks
  5. New Coil packs
ETC.

I am now facing a brand new problem.

Last year, around August I replaced most of the coolant pipes. I took it to a local, respectable Indy. Cost was just roughly over $1k. I was happy with the result as I hadn't had the dreaded check coolant light creep up on me, until earlier this month.
Today I had some time to look around if I can find the source of the leak. I noticed the coolant on the driveway was both on the right and left of the under tray. So out came the screw drivers and torx and started stripping. And oh boy...

I took my work light and tried to trace where all this coolant was coming from, with no success. Since the car was still cold I decided to go for a drive to get it at operating temperature.
When I opened the bonnet I could see some steam from the left had side, which smelled a bit like burning coolant. I did notice that from the Coolant Expansion Tank, that there was some, very little, coolant running down the side. Therefore, I will be replacing the tank, just as a precaution.

But this couldn't be what was causing the loss of coolant that I saw at the bottom. And reading through other post, there are mentions of both oil cooler and water pump. I am yet to remove the Y from the intake to examine the pump. But, from what I can see, there was little evidence showing that it might be the water pump. Closer inspection did show some trails of dried up coolant. close to the pump.

I'm also planning to do a oil and filter change, as it's almost due, and with everything open now should be as good an opportunity as any

Any advice will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2018, 12:25 PM
LAPorscheGuy
Track Day

From the photos it looks like your water pump...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:27 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Ding!.....WATER PUMP!!!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:29 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, check the water pump.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

So, is this a one-hour water pump, like a Boxster? Or an 8-hour water pump, like a 928?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 PM
ThunderMerweS
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
So, is this a one-hour water pump, like a Boxster? Or an 8-hour water pump, like a 928?
As far as I can see, its relatively easy accesable. Once the Y is out of the way, taking ofserpintine belt and pump seems simple enough.

Will order one from Pelican (unless someone else can recommend another e-tailer, looking for decent aftermarket to save some cash) and revert back, will also do the Coolant expansion tank for good measure.

Thanks for the input
Old 06-27-2018, 02:02 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Get ONLY OEM Porsche(HEPU) or LASO water pumps. Get only Continental Serpentine belt and OEM top roller pulley.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:35 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Get ONLY OEM Porsche(HEPU) or LASO water pumps. Get only Continental Serpentine belt and OEM top roller pulley.
Just curious, why those two specific brands. I just ordered from RMEuropean and it was a GEBA brand. Not recommended?
Old 06-28-2018, 01:01 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

The important point is that you want a composite impeller and not a steel one. The problem being if/when the bearings wear and the shaft wobbles a bit, the impeller can carve into the aluminum block.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Since you'll be in there it makes sense to also replace the thermostat. That way you avoid having to do the R&R of the belt, water pump & coolant if the t-stat ever goes bad.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Somewhere in between. Pelican has a decent writeup.

Originally Posted by Tom M
Since you'll be in there it makes sense to also replace the thermostat. That way you avoid having to do the R&R of the belt, water pump & coolant if the t-stat ever goes bad.
T-stat is under the intake. You don't have to pull the W/P to get to it. You don't have to pull the intake to do the W/P.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
T-stat is under the intake. You don't have to pull the W/P to get to it. You don't have to pull the intake to do the W/P.
Ah, yes. Differences between years.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:08 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
The important point is that you want a composite impeller and not a steel one. The problem being if/when the bearings wear and the shaft wobbles a bit, the impeller can carve into the aluminum block.
Looking on Pelican Parts website, they list 3 brands and all three of them are metal impellers. Where do you find a composite impeller WP?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kalyan
Looking on Pelican Parts website, they list 3 brands and all three of them are metal impellers. Where do you find a composite impeller WP?
When I put in a 2006 Turbo the Geba says it's composite impeller under the application notes as does the Laso when using the link on the Geba page.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:32 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

My OEM water pump only lasted 55k miles before it needed replacing, not exactly the longevity I was expecting. The quality of Porsche parts in my opinion is not what it use to be. What version of coil packs are they on again, revision 17 or 18? LOL! Any of the quality aftermarket brands will last just as long as the OEM part and will save you a ton in the process. If you're doing the water pump, I highly recommend you change the idler and tensioner pulleys too -- mine were all bad by 55k miles.

Quick Reply: 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (955) Coolant everywhere :(