Tail Gate Wont Open From Key Fob or Drivers Door

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 02:41 AM
twest03
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tail Gate Wont Open From Key Fob or Drivers Door

Morning All,

I have just purchased a 2005 Cayenne S and after going round it checking everything out i have found that the main tailgate will not open from the key fob or release switch in the drivers door, the glass section will open and also i can open it manually from above the number plate, the key fob batteries seem OK as everything else appears to work as it should.

If anybody has any ideas i would be very grateful.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like the motor died or the fuse for that motor blew or water leaked in from one of the rear drain tubes that's partially blocked by debris and the blockage caused water to run into the lift gate motor. Could be something more technical than just the lift gate not opening... like electrical wiring issues. Also, the first sign of a nearly dead battery is the lift gate operating very slowly or not at all. This can happen even if the engine cranking speed is not slowing down. Most of these should show up in a search of the Cayenne 955-957 forum. Your Cayenne probably has 2 batteries... one under the driver's seat and one in the back cargo hold under the floor. If a previous owner replaced only the battery under the seat, the battery in the back could be dragging down the entire electrical system.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:25 AM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
sounds like the motor died or the fuse for that motor blew or water leaked in from one of the rear drain tubes that's partially blocked by debris and the blockage caused water to run into the lift gate motor. Could be something more technical than just the lift gate not opening... like electrical wiring issues. Also, the first sign of a nearly dead battery is the lift gate operating very slowly or not at all. This can happen even if the engine cranking speed is not slowing down. Most of these should show up in a search of the Cayenne 955-957 forum. Your Cayenne probably has 2 batteries... one under the driver's seat and one in the back cargo hold under the floor. If a previous owner replaced only the battery under the seat, the battery in the back could be dragging down the entire electrical system.
Thanks for the reply,
so which fuse/fuses do i need to check, is the lift gate motor behind the carpeted panel on the tail gate
I am hoping it is something simple so i will go down that route first.

Thanks Again.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The 955 manual hatch doesn't open with the fob or door button.

It just unlocks.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe

It just unlocks.
Thanks for the reply but that is what I mean the lock is not disengaging when either button are pressed and there is no sound coming from the tail gate to digest it is trying to.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

To be clear:

You say you can open it by pulling on the manual release above the plate. That is "unlatching" it.

If you pull on that release and it doesn't open, it's locked.

All the button on the fob and the door do is unlock it. Not unlatch it.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:00 PM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe

It just unlocks.
so should it not operate the same as the glass part when you double press the fob and it pops open so you just lift it to get access without opening the whole tail gate ?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:22 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

He's saying you may not have power-lift on your lift-gate if that was not an option installed on your vehicle. I assumed that you knew that you had a power lift gate because you had seen it operating as a power-lift hatch and now it is not doing that. The owner's manual has a "fuse map" in it. Downloading an owner's manual isn't too hard if you do an online search. Used to be able to download it from porsche.com but looks like they have deleted owner's manual downloads for vehicles over 5-6 years old.

Do you have a button on the bottom edge of the hatch (when it is opened) that you press to close the hatch with the motor? If that switch/button isn't there, you don't have a power lift gate. Standing at the back of the Cayenne, open the hatch and look at the bottom edge of the hatch... on the 957 series, the black rectangular button is on the right side (passenger side) in the middle of the carpeted bottom edge of the hatch. The button has a hatch icon on it. The 957 power lift gate does not CLOSE with the fob, you have to press that button on the bottom edge of the hatch to close the hatch---that's a safety feature so you don't lower the hatch on a person by not seeing them when you press the fob button. With the power-lift option, the fob will unlock and open the hatch, but you have to press the button on the hatch to close it or you can manually close the hatch if you need to. The previous post describes how the hatch works when there is no power lift gate option installed.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Wisconsin Joe is right - the key fob ONLY opens the glass hatch and unlocks hatch. The door switch only UNLOCKS.

OP - everything appears to be working properly...
Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 PM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
He's saying you may not have power-lift on your lift-gate if that was not an option installed on your vehicle. I assumed that you knew that you had a power lift gate because you had seen it operating as a power-lift hatch and now it is not doing that. The owner's manual has a "fuse map" in it. Downloading an owner's manual isn't too hard if you do an online search. Used to be able to download it from porsche.com but looks like they have deleted owner's manual downloads for vehicles over 5-6 years old.

Do you have a button on the bottom edge of the hatch (when it is opened) that you press to close the hatch with the motor? If that switch/button isn't there, you don't have a power lift gate. Standing at the back of the Cayenne, open the hatch and look at the bottom edge of the hatch... on the 957 series, the black rectangular button is on the right side (passenger side) in the middle of the carpeted bottom edge of the hatch. The button has a hatch icon on it. The 957 power lift gate does not CLOSE with the fob, you have to press that button on the bottom edge of the hatch to close the hatch---that's a safety feature so you don't lower the hatch on a person by not seeing them when you press the fob button. With the power-lift option, the fob will unlock and open the hatch, but you have to press the button on the hatch to close it or you can manually close the hatch if you need to. The previous post describes how the hatch works when there is no power lift gate option installed.
Thank you for the detailed explanation, looking at it it does not appear to have a power lift so that said what would be the expected operation of the tailgate button on the fob, i would expect it to function the same as the upper glass section and just pop unlocked in order to lift it up manually, i have only had the Porsche a couple of days so i am finding things out about it like i have discovered the display in the centre of the dash becomes unreadable in hot weather as it is very warm here in the UK at the moment.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

From reading twest03's posts carefully at this point, I think there is a very good chance that nothing at all is wrong (well, other than Porsche's design, of course). Confusion between open vs. unlock, noise vs. no noise, etc.

I understand part of the confusion due to the difference between how my 2004S works vs. my X5. On the X5, when you unlock the rear hatch (with either key fob or interior button), you can hear the actuator, and the thing actually disengages the latch, clearly opening by a fraction of an inch. You then press the handle/button and lift it up. So for the X5, "unlock" does kind of open it if a fraction of an inch counts.

The Cayenne is the same except that unlocking it is completely silent, and nothing at all unlatches or moves when you "unlock" either with keyfob or interior button in the driver's door. So there is no confirmation / reassurance that anything happened. Adding to the mystery on my 2004 is the 2-button key fob design from hell, where lock and unlock are done by the same button. But if you did unlock it successfully, when you go and actually lift the hatch handle, the actuator will instantly move, unlatching it and allowing the hatch to be lifted.

Again on the Cayenne, holding down the rear hatch button on the remote will unlatch the rear hatch window. Yes, in this case, it does actually unlatch, not just unlock. So you hear a clear click, and the thing pops up by a fraction of an inch or so.

^^^ All of this is what happens on my 2004 S without power hatch or anything like that.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:23 AM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by oldskewel
From reading twest03's posts carefully at this point, I think there is a very good chance that nothing at all is wrong (well, other than Porsche's design, of course). Confusion between open vs. unlock, noise vs. no noise, etc.

I understand part of the confusion due to the difference between how my 2004S works vs. my X5. On the X5, when you unlock the rear hatch (with either key fob or interior button), you can hear the actuator, and the thing actually disengages the latch, clearly opening by a fraction of an inch. You then press the handle/button and lift it up. So for the X5, "unlock" does kind of open it if a fraction of an inch counts.

The Cayenne is the same except that unlocking it is completely silent, and nothing at all unlatches or moves when you "unlock" either with keyfob or interior button in the driver's door. So there is no confirmation / reassurance that anything happened. Adding to the mystery on my 2004 is the 2-button key fob design from hell, where lock and unlock are done by the same button. But if you did unlock it successfully, when you go and actually lift the hatch handle, the actuator will instantly move, unlatching it and allowing the hatch to be lifted.

Again on the Cayenne, holding down the rear hatch button on the remote will unlatch the rear hatch window. Yes, in this case, it does actually unlatch, not just unlock. So you hear a clear click, and the thing pops up by a fraction of an inch or so.

^^^ All of this is what happens on my 2004 S without power hatch or anything like that.
That is exactly what is happening, now i understand how it works, i have owned BMWs for over 20 years and my last one before buying the Cayenne did exactly what your X5 does when pressing the boot/trunk opener so i was expecting the same from the Cayenne.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:27 AM
twest03
Track Day

Thank you to everybody for helping me to clear this up, this is my first Porsche so i guess i am on a learning curve now, next thing rear parking sensors
Old 06-12-2018, 03:55 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by twest03
That is exactly what is happening, now i understand how it works, i have owned BMWs for over 20 years and my last one before buying the Cayenne did exactly what your X5 does when pressing the boot/trunk opener so i was expecting the same from the Cayenne.
Yep, I was similarly confused when I got my old Cayenne. Made worse by a weak remote battery and the 2-button remote. Also, coming from the X5, I was even kind of surprised that the window would open separately from the hatch.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:00 AM
twest03
Track Day

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Yep, I was similarly confused when I got my old Cayenne. Made worse by a weak remote battery and the 2-button remote. Also, coming from the X5, I was even kind of surprised that the window would open separately from the hatch.
I hope i have made the right decision as i keep finding things like the rear reversing sensors not working just two red lights and no audible tone when put into reverse and the centre LCD display in the dashboard goes very very dull when it gets hot outside, i have only had it a couple of days and already found these things wondering what will be next.

Quick Reply: Tail Gate Wont Open From Key Fob or Drivers Door