Sponsored by:

can poor oil cause engine driveability issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 06:35 PM
smokinjoecayenne
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can poor oil cause engine driveability issues

My oil light came on so the local gas station put some oil in it for me. Now it runs like crap. So i got an oil change done with eurospec synthetic and its only 75% better. any ideas. no lights on dash now
Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incorrect oil could in theory affect the operation of the variocam system. What did the gas station put in it? No lights I assume?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

V-8 or V-6? V-8s hold 8 or 9 quarts of oil. Adding 1 quart of some other oil, even if it isn't an exact match won't bother anything as long at it wasn't something ridiculous like straight 50 weight... as long as it was multi-viscosity oil with a fairly small first number and a fairly large second number, it would be fine mixed with the other 7 or 8 quarts of "good" oil. If they put in non-synthetic and the rest of your oil is synthetic, not even THAT would cause a problem, but you wouldn't want that non-synthetic quart in the crankcase for more than 3000 miles or so. The question is... why did the oil light come on? At 95,000 miles with oil changes in the 5000-6000 mile range I've never seen the oil light come on. Never been more than 1/3 to 1/2 quart down after driving 5000-6000 miles. Are you sure the oil light coming on was "real"? In other words, did they confirm with the dipstick that a quart was needed? If they did NOT confirm the low oil level condition with the dipstick, if you just had a problem that made the oil light come on without an actual oil level problem, adding a quart without checking to see if the crankcase really was down a quart could leave you with an over-filled crankcase and THAT does cause problems with how the engine operates. Not permanent problems... if you are lucky.

I would check to make sure whoever put in the quart of oil tightened the oil filler cap completely and also check to make sure a vacuum hose wasn't dislodged while adding the oil. A vacuum leak could make the engine run rough if the lead was there, but not quite bad enough to cause an OBDII code.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Did you put the oil fill cap back on right, and/or is the dip stick fully seated? If not, you'll have a vacuum leak and all the associated driveability issues.

Quick Reply: can poor oil cause engine driveability issues