Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix or Sell 08 957 Cayenne Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 01:23 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Tires - see for yourself. As others stated, Porsche tires are not strictly necessary.
Diag and PDCC - probably have to pony up the cash. Make sure they replace the PDCC reservoir while at it, as it is a maintenance item.
Valve Cover and plugs - totally a DIY job. Bosch plugs are $5/ea vs $35/ea at the dealer. Get the VC gasket from the dealer, buy bosch plugs and the right sockets, DIY for <$200 <4 hr.
TCM and harness - it sounds like they're just repairing the damage and not actually fixing the original leak??? This is BS - it'll leak and damage the next harness and TCM just the same. Do this yourself and research on what can be done to fix the leak itself.
Battery - I have the slightly smaller H8 size Interstate battery myself, no issues. No thanks.
Headliner - need more info here. Start out with cleaning the drains as others mentioned. There's plenty of into on that. If the leak persists, then you can dig deeper. Small things first - would be a real shame to pull the headliner only to find that the easily accessible drains are clogged.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:13 AM
stereonerd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drips coming from above where water can pool

Leaking water traveling down A-Pillar
Originally Posted by nodoors
Another $800+ Porsche battery swap... 2 hours of labor is silly to replace the battery for someone who is getting paid $185 an hour. They should be able to swap the battery in less than an hour in the dark.

I would do the least amount of work possible to get your original issue fixed and then go from there. I would also start inspecting these things on your own and get educated if $14k is a lot of money to you and the thought of spending that and the car still not being totally sorted is a bad dream. You clearly don't get any kind of discount for getting all the service work done at once.

I would take a look at the wiring harnesses yourself in the footwells to see if there is actually corrosion and which side. Tell us more about that water situation as you have not really brought it up other than us telling you it might be a contributing issue. On an '08, I would think that the drain connections leaking above the headliner is the least likely of the known water ingress scenarios with the Cayenne. Much more likely to be a clogged drain in the sunroof or down in the fender wells - especially with the timing of the recent pollen season. How much water is in the car when you pull all the drain plugs and which ones have the most?

The ATF seeping into things is a bummer. Porsche had supposedly fixed that by the '05 MY. It will ruin anything rubber it comes in contact with, but should clean up okay. Are you or are you not having shifting problems or were there TCM codes? Or does the tech just want to replace the TCM since it has ATF in it now? Like others recommended, I would get new harnesses, but replace the TCM with an identically numbered used part and have it reprogrammed to save a couple thousand dollars. They are not known to commonly fail.
Good advice, thanks - As I mentioned the battery swap I can handle myself, I’ve done it before it doesn’t take much time. As far as the “Warning Chassis System Faulty” scan and diagnostic, it’s looking like active sway bars are the culprit. I too am under the impression the headliner doesn’t need removed, I believe the drains just need clearing (fingers crossed) when I inspected the sunroof before it went in for diag I noticed a lot of reddish semi-hardened grease caked on to the tracks and around where I assume the drain is. What’s happening is water is traveling from the roof down the A-pillar and dropping off just before it would exit the vehicle, see pictures below;

Vehicle is still at the shop that did the diagnostic, I’m still unsure of what to do next. Insurance claim has been made and they are going to take a look, that was supposed to have happened on Friday but I haven’t heard back from them yet. I’m going to take a guess and say Porsche probably won’t do a goodwill warranty on this even though it was a known issue that has supposedly been fixed (transmission).

I’ll have a full list of updates by end of day tomorrow, including the original issue information and recommended fix from my tech. Probably will have a second opinion on principle as well, it’s a lot of cash to toss in the air.

Quick Reply: Fix or Sell 08 957 Cayenne Turbo?