Sponsored by:

Towing advice / rear end sag when towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 09:06 AM
arachnyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing advice / rear end sag when towing

When I look at my setup, it looks bad to me. I feel like it's too much weight for it, and I need a load leveling hitch...

But I know you aren't supposed to use a load leveling hitch, so I thought I'd take your thoughts. I measured the hitch height, and it's the right height if the weight wasn't sagging the car so bad. Everything is technically well within spec... Its only a 3000 lb load with about a 350 lb tongue weight. I've towed my 6000 car hauler and it "looked" better than this.

Is all fine? Should I use a load leveler despite being advised against it in these cayennes? Do I need a taller hitch mount to account for the rear end sag?

I anticipate adding about 800 lbs between the two axles which will only exacerbate the issue.

Cayenne towing

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:10 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yikes, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me if you are sure it is only 350lbs tongue weight. It looks pretty bulldogged and would concern me too.

I am curious to see what it will look like once you put 800lbs in that basket!
Old 04-30-2018, 02:46 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Originally Posted by nodoors
Yikes, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me if you are sure it is only 350lbs tongue weight. It looks pretty bulldogged and would concern me too.

I am curious to see what it will look like once you put 800lbs in that basket!
I agree... its 360 lb tongue weight to be precise, and 2400 lb total trailer weight. That picture is totally dry- No propane, no water, nothing stored in the camper, and no ATV on the toy-hauler platform.

I was worried that the ATV would push the limits a bit as is (actual weight is 702 lbs + gear) but figured I could put some more weight on the back of the trailer too to soften the tongue weight a little bit and keep it under 600. I didn't want to push the 616 Either way though, at 360 I don't like the way its looking already, so I was hoping for some advice from those who tow a bit more with these things.

I had a brake controller put into the cayenne when I sold my F350, and we bought this smaller camper because we thought the cayenne should have no issue towing it cross-country. Its way under the official limits, and I have towed a twin axle car hauler without too much concern.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:36 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice camper.

before going any further with the effort, .I would get current/actual tongue and axle weights.

You and the rig will be better for it.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Assuming you don't have air suspension...if that's really 350 lbs it's time for new springs.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:02 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

@ 19psi - If that is an air suspension equipped Cayenne, then there are some major problems!
@OP - Is there a receiver on the back of the trailer? Short of hanging heavy things way off the back, I don't see how you are going to come close to countering the effects of a 4 wheeler sitting on the front.
I think it would be tough to balance that thing given the location of the axle. At least it is lengthy. I have no experience with a steel sprung Cayenne, but your concerns seem valid. Measure your fender gaps and then load the 4 wheeler up and see what happens. Maybe you are already at the magical tension force on the spring rate. Any pics of when you had the larger trailer hooked?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:48 AM
arachnyd
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAVU
Nice camper.

before going any further with the effort, .I would get current/actual tongue and axle weights.

You and the rig will be better for it.
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if I can find anyone with a tongue scale. Otherwise I'm going to have to head to the trucker scales or go to walmart and buy a bath scale for the leverage trick... This will take me a few days. I don't see pictures of other people towing and having it look that whopperjawed.

Originally Posted by 19psi
Assuming you don't have air suspension...if that's really 350 lbs it's time for new springs.
I'm actually wondering if for "some reason" that is the case and its new spring time.I am just confused by why my other trailer didn't have that problem despite being heavier.

Originally Posted by nodoors
@ 19psi - If that is an air suspension equipped Cayenne, then there are some major problems!
@OP - Is there a receiver on the back of the trailer? Short of hanging heavy things way off the back, I don't see how you are going to come close to countering the effects of a 4 wheeler sitting on the front.
I think it would be tough to balance that thing given the location of the axle. At least it is lengthy. I have no experience with a steel sprung Cayenne, but your concerns seem valid. Measure your fender gaps and then load the 4 wheeler up and see what happens. Maybe you are already at the magical tension force on the spring rate. Any pics of when you had the larger trailer hooked?
You and me both. Ultimately it should come down to tongue weight, which is what confuses the heck out of me. There's nothing that could be tipping the scale over 360 lbs...

Here's a picture of me towing with a 3600 LB car + 2200 lb trailer = 5800 lbs. This is more how I expect it to look, but mind you I do have the weight distributing hitch on there so that may be covering up for either spring issues or balance issues... can't say its a fair comparison. My race car is a Corvette z06, and its lighter, as is my ferrari 360, so the below is the heaviest load I've carried.... way heavier than what I supposedly have running now.

The other option is to go with the weight Distribution Hitch, but there's no mention of weight distribution hitch in my manual, and I hear others on these forums say not to use them... and my hitch definitely violates the 6" rule of pin-to-ball listed on the hitch... but I broke the rule before without any ramifications... haha. I'm just trying to drive safe, especially as we prepare for some long-distance trips.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:32 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Just based on physics and eyeballing your original photo, if you were to add 800 lbs in that basket, say 2/3 of the way between the trailer axle and the tongue, you'd be ADDING 800 lbs * 2/3 = 500+ lbs to whatever the tongue weight is right now.

And I agree that even without the 800#, it looks like the tongue weight is too much, but measurements will tell you for sure.

I would get whatever it takes to get an accurate measurement and keep yourself within spec. Not worth taking a chance and ending up on some youtube fail compilation somewhere.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just eyeballing, but I'm guessing you're tongue weight is higher than you think. Disconnect the trailer, open the hatch, have two 180# guys sit on the tailgate and see how much it sags, if it's less than your picture (and it probably is) something is wrong. A normal bathroom scale can usually go up to 350#. Grab two, span them with a 4x4 and set the tongue in the center. Add the weights shown on the two scales, that's your real tongue weight.

cheers,
c

Quick Reply: Towing advice / rear end sag when towing