Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding hitch to 08 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

Wiring is there and uncut (the other plug to the controller box is in the car unplugged and taped up in foam), I see the mounting bolts taped up on the side. Foam you may be able to modify your old one, not sure - mine came with the foam.
Can't tell from the pics if the plug is there or it it's just the block-off plate that came from the factory. If latter, you'll need the plug that I referenced in my previous post.

I'm sure I could've gotten mine locally for less than $500 it cost me total. But I was overjoyed at $500 compared to the dealer installed cost of $1800 (with a discount), so I just jumped on it.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

After it's all installed you will need the dealer to do the coding and once that's done you should be all set.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:12 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M
After it's all installed you will need the dealer to do the coding and once that's done you should be all set.
But do you? When I did my install, the used module was already coded and was recognized by Durametric with no codes. The module did not require any VIN change like some others do. So is there anything for the dealer to do?
Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by slavie
But do you? When I did my install, the used module was already coded and was recognized by Durametric with no codes. The module did not require any VIN change like some others do. So is there anything for the dealer to do?
The coding is apparently so the rest of the modules know the hitch has been installed.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Twintipin13
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, a factory hitch from the 955 will fit a 957! All you need to add is a slightly different flange bolt to attach the hitch to the frame.

Finally got to test out the towing capability of the CTT this weekend, what a beauty!

Old 07-16-2018, 03:51 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

So, did you have to take it to the dealer for programming, or did the car recognize everything correctly with just the used, programmed tow module installed?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Twintipin13
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So, did you have to take it to the dealer for programming, or did the car recognize everything correctly with just the used, programmed tow module installed?
Took to the dealer for coding. Not sure if it would have recognised everything as I didn't hook up to the trailer before coding.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:55 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Just recently did this on a 08 GTS. Went with factory hitch - it looks much beefier, retains factory tow hooks, has all the holes for the factory harness. The best I've been able to find out is that 955/957 hitches are same but the bolts changed from M14 to M12 at some point in time. Regardless, given that I had the choice, I got a hitch off 09 model and had no issues.

Bought everything used off eBay. Hitch w/ bolts (need longer ones for OEM hitch), harness, foam was $400 shipped to my door, control module was another $50-60. Factory procedure tells you to put in some fuses - all the fuses were already in the car when time came to it. Everything plugged in, though removing the rear seats and rear side panel was a pain. The tow module got recognized immediately by the Durametric, able to run actuation tests on the trailer lights without any programming. The only question I do not know is whether all the other modules will recognize a towing mode (parking sensors, tranny shift points, etc) without a trip to the dealer, but I have not yet towed anything to find out.

You need to cut the bumper. Any sharp razor will do, or fine saw. I elected to cut a much smaller hole around the hitch rather than what the manual recommends, and am much happier with it. Basically I did NOT cut the vertical piece immediately to the left of the hitch under the hitch connector, only cut the horizontal plane around the hitch connector, and also left a piece behind to leave some structural rigidity in the bumper.. Looks much better IMO.

Trailer connector is DORMAN 924308 if you need that. $15 vs $80 at the dealer...

Hope this helps.
What are these measurements whenever you get a chance? Your install is the cleanest I've soon so far, even down to the detail of just trimming the left horizontal piece.

TIA

Last edited by TRINITONY; 05-01-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:54 PM
slavie
Burning Brakes

3-5/8 hitch to cut outline on the top (though this one was either already factory cut, or there was an outline of where the factory cut would've been, don't remember). Bottom hole is 5" wide.

EDIT: Oh, the depth - I did cut it about 1" deep, but if I were doing it again I would cut less. See the pictures installed. I cut it deeper to ease installation, but if I remember right, you could just push the bumper down during installation to clear the safety chain hooks. This will give the bottom part of the bumper more strength.

Last edited by slavie; 05-01-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:18 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

3-5/8 hitch to cut outline on the top (though this one was either already factory cut, or there was an outline of where the factory cut would've been, don't remember). Bottom hole is 5" wide.

EDIT: Oh, the depth - I did cut it about 1" deep, but if I were doing it again I would cut less. See the pictures installed. I cut it deeper to ease installation, but if I remember right, you could just push the bumper down during installation to clear the safety chain hooks. This will give the bottom part of the bumper more strength.

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
What are these measurements whenever you get a chance? Your install is the cleanest I've soon so far, even down to the detail of just trimming the left horizontal piece.

TIA

The hole to the upper right does not need to be cut.

The lower "V" at the "This lil cut" does not need to be cut out either. The 2-3" V will slide in behind the factory hitch.

The bumper cover has a template on the back for cutting. Use it. (I overcut as well on the right side, to do it again it would be tighter) Use an oscillating tool as it works through plastic like butter.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:15 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pillow
The hole to the upper right does not need to be cut.

The lower "V" at the "This lil cut" does not need to be cut out either. The 2-3" V will slide in behind the factory hitch.

The bumper cover has a template on the back for cutting. Use it. (I overcut as well on the right side, to do it again it would be tighter) Use an oscillating tool as it works through plastic like butter.

The big hole came precut from the factory it seems. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:34 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

may still have to trim this lil area...

Done - many thanks to the fine helpful gentlemen on this board!
The following users liked this post:
Pillow (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice and tight! Good job!

Interesting that yours came pre-cut in the center section

The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (03-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Adding hitch to 08 CTT