Enclosed Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enclosed Trailer Question

I'm considering buying an enclosed trailer to tow my race car and curious if anyone has towed such a trailer with the Cayenene S. The total weight will be approx. 6000lbs but I'm curious how the Cayenne will handle towing someting with the wind resistance of an enclosed trailer.

(The reason I ask is that my last SUV towed the car on an open trailer without any issue but really struggled with an enclosed trailer).

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience is with a boat & trailer 6,000lb load. The aero dynamics of the boat is much better. Does your trailer have a 45 degree nose? I think a flat front trailer is troublesome. Oblique crosswinds would be a wierd effect.

I have PASM and think it's great. You know when you're at high speed tow & you hit a dip in the road? Well the PASM takes the wiggle out of the truck tail; resulting in a reassured ride. The danger is, you tend to go faster because you don't have the "wiggle" reminder.

Watch your tongue weight..

I'm extremely happy with the tow ability. that said, I wouldn't tow an Airstream. Those live in trailers have high tongue loads.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're looking into this for the dealership. Living in Canada, we have 6 months of snow, and just about all the cars we deliver between November and April get put on a flat deck and delivered to customers' houses (as very few drive in the winter).

We're going to get an enclosed trailer to tow behind our Cayenne demo so that we can deliver cars personally, without having to use an outside source. Plus, we'd be using the trailer as a support vehicle for our local PCA chapter's autocross events.

Anyway, we're still mulling over trailer options and shapes, but we do know we'll have one with the aerodynamic front on it.

I've towed a 7,600lb Cabin Crusier behind a Cayenne S, and the Cayenne handled it fine. It'll be interesting to see how the differing aerodynamics of a boxy trailer will change that.

Old 12-31-2003, 01:32 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the guys from Silver Star Porsche in NY towing a 24' enclosed trailer behind a Cayenna S at the racetrack. I asked Tom how it towed and he thought it was great.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:07 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Towed cars & tongue weight.

The Touareg/Cayenne tongue capacity is an issue. There were claims made on the VWvortex board that the tonue capacity was closer to 500-550lb.

I would think that with towed cars (in trailers), the engine might be better placed over the trailer wheels (back on front eng cars).

Additionally, it was said, that use of some anti sway equipment might void warranty.

VW & PAG prohibit use of additional tow equipment, claiming that the towing system on the Treg & Peppers are superior and don't need it. This from the lips of manufacturers who built their first tow vehicle.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer Question