Sponsored by:

955 cayenne transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:47 AM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainz
If you let the trans drain overnight, you will get closer to the 9qt figure (although that's on the high end of doable). Otherwise, I think I only ever saw 7 or 8qts on a drain/refill. But yeah, the trans keeps draining for a long time and you can get more out/in there if you're willing to wait.
I found the same. I'd say that probably another quart came out overnight on mine. Glad I let it drip. I did all my fluids at 140k, the only difference I noticed was that before the change I would occasionally (like once a month) get a small clunk or snap after coming to a full stop. It felt like the drivetrain was wound-up, and it suddenly released. It happened rarely and wasn't violent, but was noticeable. It hasn't happened once in the many months and miles since changing all the fluids. No idea if it was tranny or xfer case, I did both at the same time. Transfer case was about 25% low based on measuring what came out, no visible leaks.

Fluid changes = good

cheers,
c
Old 06-03-2018, 01:42 AM
rchen404
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic of bottle. Made in Japan...great

Made in jap
People who say this is same as aisin oil probably right. Tranny cover has VW stamp on it . In 16 years I'm using VW toaureg fluid
Old 05-10-2023, 02:51 PM
tsill13
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Super old thread but it is the most detailed and i like to keep things in order A detail that I am missting, how to get the old fluid out of the transmission cooler so that it is not pumped into the fresh fluid?

I was thinking I could disconnect the pressure and return houses from the thermostat, and then reconnect the pressure side while putting the return side into a bucket and using the trans pump to push fluid through the cooler until I see fresh fluid.

but, it occurs to me that the fluid might not circulate through the cooler until it reaches temp.

Can someone advise on how to clear the old fluid out of the cooler?
Old 05-10-2023, 06:07 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tsill13
Super old thread but it is the most detailed and i like to keep things in order A detail that I am missting, how to get the old fluid out of the transmission cooler so that it is not pumped into the fresh fluid?

I was thinking I could disconnect the pressure and return houses from the thermostat, and then reconnect the pressure side while putting the return side into a bucket and using the trans pump to push fluid through the cooler until I see fresh fluid.

but, it occurs to me that the fluid might not circulate through the cooler until it reaches temp.

Can someone advise on how to clear the old fluid out of the cooler?
The workshop manual says to disconnect the transmission cooler lines at the front radiator area. It should be two lines coming from the transmission and held into the cooler loop using a single bolt if I remember correctly. You then bend down the lines and let the loop and the cooler drain till nothing more comes out. I skipped this because it looked like it was going to be a pain to get the lines loose without making a huge mess and I plan to do the fluid change every couple of years at most so getting all the fluid out wasn’t critical for me. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 05-10-2023, 06:59 PM
tsill13
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I disconnected the lines but I'd say no more than 1/4 litre came out. I would think there would be quite a bit in the cooler? Is the thermostat keeping it in/valve closed?
Old 05-10-2023, 08:34 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

No I think that’s all that comes out from there. The silver hunk of metal is the thermostat, and the two lines running forward from it run open to the cooling radiator.

I recently went all in and did the loop part. Totally not worth it at all IMHO.

I spent more time trying to get those damn fiddly lines reconnected to the thermostat than the entire rest of the job.

Then the AllData procedure says you have to get up to 90 to open the thermostat (else you risk an under fill). To do that you have to drive, because mine didn’t get past about 80-85 idling in the driveway.

I would MUCH rather do two or more pan drain changes with free fluid from FCP than mess with that again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crozzer:
jbaker136 (05-10-2023), oldskewel (05-16-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 09:10 PM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Try switching the AC to "econ" mode, mine won't run the fan til 96°

Quick Reply: 955 cayenne transmission flush