Brake light failure - 05 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 AM
tadink
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake light failure - 05 CTT

Hello all -
Seems to my turn with the electrical gremlin - hope it is a short visit!
Threw a warning on the dash 'Brake Light Failure' and the light stayed on - sure enough, no brake lights on either side but the center upper brake light works fine.
Question- what is the correct sequence of investigation for chasing down this problem? Seems odd to me that both sides would fail at the same time - so I'm guessing that there is something else going on?
Also have somewhat random on/off of the headlamps / tail lights - I was following my wife home while she was driving the CTT and noticed that in bright daylight the tail lights were sometimes on, sometimes off over the course of our commute.
Am going to replace the battery next - but I'm not expecting the brake lights to fix themselves (but I'm happy to have any of you suggest they might?!).
Thanks for your help....
TD
Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your headlight switch is set to auto, the head and tail lights would come on based on ambient and reflected lighting outside.
With the brake lights, maybe if one bulb is out both sides go out? Try changing both sides brake light bulbs. Test bulbs prior. Some don't contact well even if they test well. Try cleaning bulb socket contacts?

Quick Reply: Brake light failure - 05 CTT