Sponsored by:

Snow Tires on Road Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003 | 12:28 PM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tires on Road Trip?

I need to purchase snow tires this week. I have decided to get another Cayenne. I may be taking a trip to the east coast from Chicago, about 1,200 miles round trip. Will Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tolerate this trip if roads are dry, some of or all the way? I am planning to go in January so I will encounter snow.
Old 12-15-2003 | 12:44 PM
Bentley
Banned

The Scorpions will tolerate the trip no doubt. If you purchase them you will find them to be a little 'mushy' on dry pavement. You may want to consider the Dunlop M3; it handles very well on dry pavement and is outstanding in ice and snow.
Old 12-15-2003 | 02:47 PM
EPV
Intermediate

Default Snow tires on road trip

I finally settled on Blizzak LM22's in the standard size (255x55x18 XL) and not the narrower sized 235's so as not to give up any (or very little) handling.
They still had PLENTY of grip in the snow and ice and I am not sure how much (if any) adhesion in the wintry stuff I gave up. Did just great in deep snow and ice.....very secure.
They handle superbly; responsive, crisp, quiet, not at all "mushy" on the dry. Very hard to tell they are winter tires.
While they are much more expensive than the Scorpian's, I think they are worth it. However, if the Scorpions are as good (I have no experience with them) I overpaid for my performance. By the looks of the tread pattern and depth I think the Blizzak might be the more responsive "road trip" winter tire and the Scorpian the one for the "Blizzard of the century!"
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-15-2003 | 09:56 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

dawktah,

Were you able to settle your issues on the previous Cayenne to your satisfaction? I'm glad to see that another Cayenne will find its way to your door, and I hope that your prior experience has excised all the demons from your space!

Toby

Quick Reply: Snow Tires on Road Trip?