Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Failing and STEERING WHEEL LOCKED AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003 | 04:23 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

I lost complete control on the brakes.... i mean by that they were not working at all and so as the handbrake......... and talking about the steering wheel the first time it was completley locked and meaning i couldnt not move it at all however turning off the car and back on corrected the problem took it to the dealer and he said there isnt a any problem with it.... the 2nd time it happened... the steering wheel was locked like the first time even after turning the car on and off several times... ..... however trying it the next day.... i managed to turn the steering wheel but it was extremley hard....... i was struggling with it just to turn a little bit.... i called the tow truck and they towed my car........ The dealer said they will fix the damage done to the car and the garage for free..... However i might ask for a car replacement bec im scared the steering wheel will get locked again a 3rd time while driving in a highway and i might injure someone badly or even kill him a third time happening I dont think ill be as lucky as the first 2 times.....
Old 12-09-2003 | 05:25 PM
Cay
Instructor

yep jamy, put him away. the dealer don`t would do all this fixing stuff
for free only becouse youre a nice guy.

I hear today from a free dealer that he
know to different guys who looses the brake on a SL like I did this weekend. Benz said "neeeeever heard of such a fault...."

My car is now the second day in service and they still work on it and test
him - I´m interested what they have to say when I get him back. I`m sure
it will be some blabla. I`m allready looking for offers to trade him in for something else.
Old 12-09-2003 | 09:16 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Yup..... just hoping for the best
Old 12-10-2003 | 04:12 AM
mdriscoll
1st Gear

Jamy: Last year my X5 4.4i freaked out on a trip to Whistler, BC. On the way up the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) light went on and wouldn't go off. The Dealers were all closed and BMW Roadside Assist. didn't have any bright ideas so we went on without DSC and ABS. On the way back to Seattle, the brake electronics 'locked' when I was making a right turn out of a gas station. The left front wheel was frozen mid-turn, shuddered, and made a horrible noise like it was stuck in metal. We were all loaded down with ski gear and didn't want to hang around until it could be fixed in Vancouver. After about 10 mins. of sitting there it went away. The DSC light was still on, but the brakes worked, so we headed home. The BMW dealer said the the anti-lock brake unit which controls the brakes, the DSC, and the applies the electronic four wheel drive went out. I think, CAY, above is right, and it's probably connected to one the complicated electonic 'alphabet' systems. Good luck sorting it out.
Old 12-10-2003 | 12:29 PM
Cay
Instructor

update on my braking issue - got a call from my benz dealer and he told me that the factory take this very serious and work together with the dealer to get this fixed. our car will be in service the whole week and get a bunch of new electrical headsys units, a lot of the parts from the normal braking system will be exchanged too. so it will costs the factory a lot and theyre not idiots to put good money in things they are not responsible for.

so it looks you can really loose your brake in a modern car due a electronical glitch.
Old 12-10-2003 | 01:14 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Im trying to get in touch with the dealer but without any success.... I need a car while my car is being fixed because its very inconvienent for me to take cabs everyday
Old 06-08-2006 | 04:58 AM
len928
Instructor

I know that this is a very old thread... But I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced this and What was the outcome?

Feel free to PM me.
also email @ elekon at swbell.net

By the way, there isn't any snow or slick stuff in my drive area.

Quick Reply: Brake Failing and STEERING WHEEL LOCKED AGAIN