Sponsored by:

Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 02:24 PM
ulflun
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainz
I have no complaints about the resolution on mine. Think of it this way: for the screen size (9"), it has greater pixel density than the average 21"1080P computer monitor.

It's not like you're reading books on there. You really want apps with big chunky buttons. Finer resolution really isn't needed. I'd also not want to give the CPU (not sure if there is a separate GPU) any more to do than needed. The PX6 runs strong, but still, they all seem to slow down with age.

My old pX3 was 8". The current one is 9". The screen alignment on the 8" looked more factory as the scale was in line with the row of buttons above the screen and there was more space for the soft buttons on the left hand margin.

But otherwise, the benefits of the bigger screen offset the minor aesthetic differences. I'd say it's a toss up between 8 and 9" screen, maybe slight preference to bigger one.
I'm just worried about apps responsive/design for 1024x600, looking weird. I'll probably go with a 9" as well and ordering soon. I wonder if Wireless Android Auto Sync through WiFi requires a specific network interface on the device. Have you tested in on yours? Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ulflun
I wonder if Wireless Android Auto Sync through WiFi requires a specific network interface on the device. Have you tested in on yours? Any thoughts?
Not exactly sure what you're asking.

I tether my headunit to my phone via WiFi -- the headunit has integrated WiFi and BT receivers. I use the "Automate" app (I think this was formerly Llama) to run a routine that automatically turns on WiFi tethering when by phone bluetooth connects with my Cayenne.

I think I turned off auto updates in the Play Store -- in my experience, there's updates almost every night, and I don't like the disruption of app updates while I'm on a short drive. Every couple months, I'll manually update all the apps.

I don't use a ton of apps on headunit:
- Agama Car Launcher
- Waze
- Pandora
- Spotify
- Some sort of weather radar app
- Torque

I don't see much benefit in using car to do much more than play music, provide navigation, and maybe monitor the weather. I routed a USB cable to the glove box and can use a USB drive to update firmware and play/load music onto the headunit.

One other thing, I've not mentioned: if you have BOSE, you'll also need the MOST adapter. I bought the ubiquitous 2-channel one off of eBay for $85 or so.

Not sure if any of that helps or answers your question.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:42 PM
ulflun
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not exactly sure what you're asking.

I tether my headunit to my phone via WiFi -- the headunit has integrated WiFi and BT receivers. I use the "Automate" app (I think this was formerly Llama) to run a routine that automatically turns on WiFi tethering when by phone bluetooth connects with my Cayenne.

I think I turned off auto updates in the Play Store -- in my experience, there's updates almost every night, and I don't like the disruption of app updates while I'm on a short drive. Every couple months, I'll manually update all the apps.

I don't use a ton of apps on headunit:
- Agama Car Launcher
- Waze
- Pandora
- Spotify
- Some sort of weather radar app
- Torque

I don't see much benefit in using car to do much more than play music, provide navigation, and maybe monitor the weather. I routed a USB cable to the glove box and can use a USB drive to update firmware and play/load music onto the headunit.

One other thing, I've not mentioned: if you have BOSE, you'll also need the MOST adapter. I bought the ubiquitous 2-channel one off of eBay for $85 or so.

Not sure if any of that helps or answers your question.
I have a Google Pixel 3XL and have support for wireless Android Auto. I guess you got a point but it's also nice to have my phone as main information unit.

This seller: US $223.38 35%OFF | PX6 PX5 4G 64G DSP IPS Android 10 Car DVD Radio GPS for Porsche Cayenne 2003-2010 Cayenne S 2003-2010 Cayenne GTS 2003-2010 DVR
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYbbNAh claims to sell a 9" inch PX6 with 1280*720 resolution. I'm sceptical tho since there is no other seller doing this. Do you guys think it's legit? If it wouldn't be for AliExpress poor return policies and it costs me 150$ to send it back to China from Sweden, I would chance.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

I believe my unit does support Android Auto. I've used it only once. If I recall, it was a screen mirroring functionality where music [and video?] were hosted on my phone an presented on the head unit. It worked OK, but I prefer to have the headunit tether and run all its own apps.

The AliExpress units you linked to seem legit to me -- as legit as anything on AliExpress. You take your chances with everything on AliExpress.... Per my note above, the difference in 1280 vs 1080 screen is likely not material. So even if they ship you a lower resolution screen, you're only out an extra $30 and probably won't notice the difference in use anyway.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:12 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe my unit does support Android Auto. I've used it only once. If I recall, it was a screen mirroring functionality where music [and video?] were hosted on my phone an presented on the head unit. It worked OK, but I prefer to have the headunit tether and run all its own apps.
I think the same way as you. I don't see the point in using Android Auto, when any app I want to use can be installed and ran from the head unit. To me, it would be like mirroring my phone to my television to watch Netflix or Hulu, when I already have those apps available through my smart TV or my Roku box. Redundant.

Quick Reply: Another Android Headunit install in 2008 Cayenne