Buyer and Seller Feeback Use this forum to report good or bad transactions.

PCARMARKET and how it went...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 07:45 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PCARMARKET and how it went...

This is going to be a long story but 'll make it short...

To all those that don't know how those "online auction" platforms work - their goal is to turn a profit, which is understandable. But, they will pretty much dictate your asking price in order to do so! Doesn't matter how you feel about this deal - you either agree and they list your car, or else. They don't care! Simple as that!! I was just very persistent and tried to haggle - this helped but not a whole lot...

Now to the auction. You will have a "dashboard" where you will be able to control the reserve price, and the auction. In my case, pcarmarket initially "valued" my car at $42-43K which is ridiculous. I was able to establish a reserve of $45 hoping it would go higher. When the auction went live the dashboard reflected the correct reserve price, but the recommended sales price was set at $40K. $3K below what was said originally! A few minutes before the auction came to end pcarmarked called me on the phone at work (they set the auction to end at 3:30 EST - smart). Already a nervous wreck this I didn't need, and I told them on he phone. "Hey, it's just a few more minutes - we are together in this...!!" All right - every time a bid came in they like "oh, you are now at $39K - you can use your dashboard to lower your reserve! Me: "hell no!". This type of behavior kept going on - every time a bid came in they pushed me to lower my reserve. Very unprofessional, not asked for and borderline harassment! The fun really began when $42k was reached - this time another dude got involved. "Hey, we did a good job representing you car. You need to lower your reserve...! Me: "I am not goin to lower my reserve". That's when he hung up! Got mad hung up like 40 seconds before the auction was over because I didn't agree to lower my reserve price! Well, they lowered the reserve price anyway...

Found this out after getting an email from the buyer, and checking my auction again. Sold for $42K!!!

Story is not over yet, received a phone call later "Congratulations, you sold your car". They claimed I gave them permission on the phone to lower the reserve which I never agreed to. They called me at the house as well later this evening - had to deal with three (3!) different guys for almost an hour. Tried to convince me again...

All this happened last week Thursday and I had plenty of time to think about this before making the decision to post this on Rennlist. My wife, who listened to all this on the phone claims this was a scam, and I can see where she is coming from:

1) The reserve price was established at $42k. All bidding stopped at $42K. Pcarmarket made the statement "see we told you wouldn't be able to get more than $42K so we were right!"
2) The "buyer" I talked to on the phone also made the statement "I'm not going to pay more than $42K..." He wanted to contact Pcarmarket and get back with me but never did...
3) Thirdly what the dude said that hung up on me "I have a car dealership - I know the market". So, he got a car dealership...

Not saying this was a scam but it certainly made me think. Still thinking about this experience today... To me - these guys are just unprofessional. They don't care about you as a seller and try to maximize their profit. At auction end they call you at the worst possible time trying to push you into a fire sale. I could imagine that has worked in the past - someone that is unable to stand the constant pressure he's getting on the phone from these guys! And then, the "after sales" phone calls later after the car is "sold" trying to convince you that this is good money. "How would it feel to have $42K in your hands - cash money?!". They are excellent in "brain washing" you as a seller, and will do anything they can just to manipulate you I have give them credit for that!

So, should you decide to sell your P-car on Pcarmarket - stand your ground and be persistent. Don't let them manipulate you - they will try!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

This is the first post of a thread originally started in the 993 forum. It's been copied here to serve as a warning to any sellers of potentially getting involved with Pcarmarket.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:07 AM
1990ruf
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
This is going to be a long story but 'll make it short...

To all those that don't know how those "online auction" platforms work - their goal is to turn a profit, which is understandable. But, they will pretty much dictate your asking price in order to do so! Doesn't matter how you feel about this deal - you either agree and they list your car, or else. They don't care! Simple as that!! I was just very persistent and tried to haggle - this helped but not a whole lot...

Now to the auction. You will have a "dashboard" where you will be able to control the reserve price, and the auction. In my case, pcarmarket initially "valued" my car at $42-43K which is ridiculous. I was able to establish a reserve of $45 hoping it would go higher. When the auction went live the dashboard reflected the correct reserve price, but the recommended sales price was set at $40K. $3K below what was said originally! A few minutes before the auction came to end pcarmarked called me on the phone at work (they set the auction to end at 3:30 EST - smart). Already a nervous wreck this I didn't need, and I told them on he phone. "Hey, it's just a few more minutes - we are together in this...!!" All right - every time a bid came in they like "oh, you are now at $39K - you can use your dashboard to lower your reserve! Me: "hell no!". This type of behavior kept going on - every time a bid came in they pushed me to lower my reserve. Very unprofessional, not asked for and borderline harassment! The fun really began when $42k was reached - this time another dude got involved. "Hey, we did a good job representing you car. You need to lower your reserve...! Me: "I am not goin to lower my reserve". That's when he hung up! Got mad hung up like 40 seconds before the auction was over because I didn't agree to lower my reserve price! Well, they lowered the reserve price anyway...

Found this out after getting an email from the buyer, and checking my auction again. Sold for $42K!!!

Story is not over yet, received a phone call later "Congratulations, you sold your car". They claimed I gave them permission on the phone to lower the reserve which I never agreed to. They called me at the house as well later this evening - had to deal with three (3!) different guys for almost an hour. Tried to convince me again...

All this happened last week Thursday and I had plenty of time to think about this before making the decision to post this on Rennlist. My wife, who listened to all this on the phone claims this was a scam, and I can see where she is coming from:

1) The reserve price was established at $42k. All bidding stopped at $42K. Pcarmarket made the statement "see we told you wouldn't be able to get more than $42K so we were right!"
2) The "buyer" I talked to on the phone also made the statement "I'm not going to pay more than $42K..." He wanted to contact Pcarmarket and get back with me but never did...
3) Thirdly what the dude said that hung up on me "I have a car dealership - I know the market". So, he got a car dealership...

Not saying this was a scam but it certainly made me think. Still thinking about this experience today... To me - these guys are just unprofessional. They don't care about you as a seller and try to maximize their profit. At auction end they call you at the worst possible time trying to push you into a fire sale. I could imagine that has worked in the past - someone that is unable to stand the constant pressure he's getting on the phone from these guys! And then, the "after sales" phone calls later after the car is "sold" trying to convince you that this is good money. "How would it feel to have $42K in your hands - cash money?!". They are excellent in "brain washing" you as a seller, and will do anything they can just to manipulate you I have give them credit for that!

So, should you decide to sell your P-car on Pcarmarket - stand your ground and be persistent. Don't let them manipulate you - they will try!
( The old "we can get you more for you car" routine ). LOL! Don't fall for it.

25 years of collecting / trading Porsche with accumulating some of the nicest pieces, I have been constantly called by these wannabe sharks, but they can't get it through all of their thick skulls that "NICE Porsche pieces don't need Pcar or BAT to sell them; they sell themselves. Ive seen all these air cooled Porsche type dealers, traders, brokers come and go. Most serious Porsche Collectors out there DON'T buy or sell on Pcar or BAT. It's seen as a detriment to their investments.

Comment to all Air Cooled Porsche Sellers. Put it out there on your own. All the bedroom brokers, collectors from small to big around the world are watching, waiting and ready to wire.

Pcar is in business to make money. They are very wannabe sharky and I hope they make millions. It's also fun to watch them evolve.

I snipe wannabe sharks from a mile away.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1990ruf:
fastengnz (10-28-2020), wdr911 (04-14-2024)

Quick Reply: PCARMARKET and how it went...