Sponsored by:

New Intake Question!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:12 PM
RonJo Crisman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Intake Question!

This is mostly a peace of mind question as I'm fairly sure and have an expert backing it up so here goes.

Ok, so I finally got the new intake in an ooooh boy was that some work! New throttle body, 997 intake T, 987 airbox. So, just a quick question, this new intake is a good chunk louder than the old one which doesn't surprise me much since the filter medium has about 4x the surface area. I get a barely audible woosh noise at idle that gets drowned out/quiets down as I accelerate. That's just the bigger air box right? I'm paranoid about an intake leak.

I've used the engine ear on all the joints and don't hear anything. It runs great, it goes noticeably quicker than before the mods. Even my before/after g-meter runs are saying the same thing (poor man's dyno ). Smooth idle at about 650/700 rpm. No backfires. Engine noise is normal if a bit more pronounced because of the new poly motor mount.

Neighbor is an ASE certified mechanic that mostly works on VW's and thinks I'm golden and had a laughing fit when I let him drive it. It was the most fun he'd had coming from his 1.8T Jetta.

So, please do let me know if I'm just being paranoid. I'm fairly sure I am ha ha!

Here's some pictures of the completed work! Yes, I put the cover on the air box. I discovered there's a bit of a trick to get the filter in and out of the 987 box.

Yes, the cover is on the air box now.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

If the engine doesn't manifest any untoward behavior at cold or warm or hot start, idles at any temperature ok (albeit if cold at a bit of an elevated idle), if the engine runs ok at higher RPMs, with no stumbles, or hesitation. If the CEL remains dark, there is no intake leak.

If you want to go to the trouble you can get an aerosol can of carb cleaner and with the engine idling spray the stuff at the various hose/intake tube couplings. If there is an intake leak the engine should react.

Check the oil filler tube cap is not leaking. With the engine idling see if you can move the cap about and cause a leak. If you can the cap probably needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: New Intake Question!