Sponsored by:

Tuning a 986 with 996 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 PM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuning a 986 with 996 engine

I've got a client with a 2002 986 "S". It has a 3.6 ltr built by Flat 6 Innovations, racing exhaust, headers, mufflers but the DME is not tuned correctly and does not run to its potential. Has a hard hot restart and does not perform like it should from 3800-5200 rpm. The other reason for a good tune is that the car lives at 8400' elevation and will consistently be even above that. If you have any ideas and suggestions please contact me either by replying here or PM, as he would like to get this sorted out before we get going in the driving season here in CO. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
I've got a client with a 2002 986 "S". It has a 3.6 ltr built by Flat 6 Innovations, racing exhaust, headers, mufflers but the DME is not tuned correctly and does not run to its potential. Has a hard hot restart and does not perform like it should from 3800-5200 rpm. The other reason for a good tune is that the car lives at 8400' elevation and will consistently be even above that. If you have any ideas and suggestions please contact me either by replying here or PM, as he would like to get this sorted out before we get going in the driving season here in CO. Thanks!
Has the engine never run right? If so you need to get in touch with Flat 6 Innovations. Jake Raby. He sometimes posts here too and he might see this and respond. However, I wouldn't count on him seeing your post but advise you to get in touch with him directly.

In the meantime, if the trouble/symptoms just appeared that's less a sign the tune is bad but more a sign something is wrong with the engine, well, not the engine but a sensor, or some vital subsystem that is acting up.

Don't think altitude has anything to do with the behavior (unless the "tune" doesn't have the ability to adapt to altitude, but when you talk to Jake Raby he can address that possibility). I've driven a number of cars including my Porsches at high elevations and while for instance at the higher passes in CO the engine performance was pretty flat the engines all ran ok otherwise and once down to lower elevations were just fine again.

Any active/pending codes?

Given the very limited info to go on my WAG is a fuel supply problem though the lack of performance between 3800 and 5200 RPMs kind of suggests a VarioCam problem, the valve timing is not changing when it should.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:24 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

So no codes? No diagnostic data? Were the mods done by Jake at the time the car's engine was enlarged? Or was his work just a short block?

I can't imagine him ever letting a car out of his shop not running right as he personally test drives every car in the real world (generally takes it home and back to work the next day). He is a fanatic on driveability over raw HP so any tune done by him would be tested (but in GA altitudes).

Call him...

Quick Reply: Tuning a 986 with 996 engine