High performance clutch for Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Luv-n-Life
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High performance clutch for Boxster

All,
My 2000 Boxster is going to need a clutch rather soon. I bought the car used and the clutch has never grabbed the way I would expect it to, rather it slips alot on a fast launch. Since my warranty is up this month and I intend on autocrossing VERY frequently next year, I would like to put in a duel friction or triple plate racing clutch in it. I am still new to the Porsche world and for all I know it may already have a duel friction clutch in it...however I don't think it does. Has anyone replaced their Boxster clutch with a street prep or full blown racing clutch? Where did you get it from? How much should I expect to shell out for one? Thanks!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:23 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

While you're in there consider getting a lightened flywheel also. I'm replacing my clutch soon also and will be going with the complete setup. I don't remember the specifics on the part but I was quoted $1600 (~$3K) over the cost of the factory clutch job.

Keep in mind the dealer will install only Porsche factory parts. So you may have to go to an independant shop for this.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Luv-n-Life
AutoX

Default Rather high for a clutch

NetManiac,
~$3k is about 3 times what I expect to pay for an OEM one. Seems rather steep. I found the entire clutch kit at OEMparts.com for about $350. I'll be doing most of the work with myself with the help of my local PCA region president who happens to own a Porsche maintenance business. I expect even after paying him for his time to spend less than $1k for OEM. However you also bring up another good point. A lightweight flywheel would be good to have! Any ideas of where to find one?

Quick Reply: High performance clutch for Boxster