Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference with this part? (LN 2QT Deep Sump Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 06:56 PM
RickyG512
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference with this part? (LN 2QT Deep Sump Kit)

Hi All,

I just finished fitting the LN Engineering 2QT Deep Sump Oil Pan Kit inc. Pickup-Tube Extension, Windage Tray & X51 Baffle

http://lnengineering.com/2qt-deep-su...51-baffle.html

My question is in the attached pic, the top one is the oil return tube i removed from my original engine, and the bottom one (the one in my hand) is the 997 oil return tube included in the LN kit, my question is, what is the difference? was it even worth swapping out? shouldn't the new oil return tube be lower than the one i've taken out to have the same affect as the spacer for the oil pick up which also makes it lower? Im confused.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:46 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

The original oil returns hang down too low to clear the added horizontal windage tray unless you cut two holes and the newer ones in the kit hang down less and clear the tray. The new ones supposedly return the oil into the sump a little faster, at the expense of losing a little defoaming capability, which is offset by the extra 2 quarts. I have the same kit installed on my Boxster.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Same here .I think the upgraded part is from a 997 ?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:43 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Any tips on the installation? I have this kit on order for my Boxster
Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Seek other advice but do not overfill the sump. That causes AOS-like disasters. Remember you have lots of extra depth in the sump now and the all-important horizontal baffle.. So ,in theory ,running closer to the low mark on the dipstick is much safer than with a regular sump.
Installation - you bought the best kit on the planet. Follow LN's detailed Instructions to the letter.
The only improvement (??) I made was to use studs instead of bolts to make removal easier. You can find s/s studs with a 3mm internal/female hex drive. They are intended for exhaust headers. But check with LN and report what they say. I don't mind being wrong.
Be careful to get s/s and consider the center shoulder placement and length carefully.The threade holes in the crankcase are much deeper than the stock bolt length.Clean and chase carefully. Ask ARP for details of a Metric kit similar to this :ARP Chromoly Header Stud Kits 100-1414
I used blue Loctite into the crankcase halves and green Wicking grade on the nuts. The advantages are - you will never strip the threads in the crankcase (Helicoiling nightmare avoided) ,You won't wear out the threads however many times you drop the sump looking for chain ramp/pad material or worse !
Old 04-04-2017, 03:35 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

I believe the thinking here with the 997 oil return tubes is to get the oil "back to the sump" as quickly as possible. So the defoaming action is removed and these tubes just deliver oil down where it is needed. Height is not much of an issue, apparently. Back when I did an "update" to my 987S the opposite thinking was in effect and I added the 996 defoamers (like you have stock) and removed the 997 parts

To me, the 997 part just looks cheaper to make...

Quick Reply: Difference with this part? (LN 2QT Deep Sump Kit)