Sponsored by:

replacing heater matrix

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:47 PM
alank
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing heater matrix

Hi does anyone know if I can see if heater matrix is leaking by lifting it a little whilst pipes are connecteds, or can you see down the sides of the matrix to check it prior to disconnecting pipes and removing/replacing it. thanks
Old 03-01-2017, 07:46 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alank
Hi does anyone know if I can see if heater matrix is leaking by lifting it a little whilst pipes are connecteds, or can you see down the sides of the matrix to check it prior to disconnecting pipes and removing/replacing it. thanks
according to neo if you take the blue pill you can see the matrix.......if you take the red pill all is okay...................WHAT THE HECK IS A MATRIX DUDE
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
according to neo if you take the blue pill you can see the matrix.......if you take the red pill all is okay...................WHAT THE HECK IS A MATRIX DUDE
I think the OP is referring to the heater core. At least that is my guess.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

I held off posting because I have no experience with I guess by "heater matrix" you are referring to heater core issues (thankfully!).

The Bentley Boxster manual may have something on obtaining access to the heater core. I'm at the office and my references are at home so can't refer to this to know for sure.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Yes, the Bentley manual has a section on the heater core.

It is accessible via the cowl area.

The Bentley manual has a section on how to remove it.

This starts removing the cowl covers in the front trunk. You will need Torx tool bits -- I don't recall the size but I do recall they must be the security type (with a small depression/hole in the center to clear a pip in the center of the Torx screw).

Since you want to view it before removing it once you have the covers removed there is a cover to the area where the core is located. It is not clear to me that this can be removed wtihout first having to clamp the hoses -- to keep the coolant loss to a minimum if one is going to undo the hoses -- and remove the hose clamps so the cover can then be removed, but the core is behind that cover.

Have to mention that a leaking heater core can be pretty obvious due to the strong odor of anti-freeze. Are you smelling a strong odor of anti-freeze?

The heater core is not often mentioned as a source of leaks. Part of the reason why is I'm under the impression the flow of coolant through the core is not restricted but flows all the time this is to prevent stagnate coolant from encouraging corrosion of the core. (The amount of heat is controlled by air flaps that restrict or allow incoming cabin air flow through the heater core.

If you need to remove the core there are more instructions which I'll share with you if you ask. (Don't want to take the time to type them in if I don't have to.)

You need to disconnect the battery and you need to read up on what you need to do *prior* to doing this. You might need a radio code for instance.

The wipers need to be removed along with I think some kind of suspension/chassis brace.

If you need the rest my advice is pick up the Bentley manual for it has a lot of info beside just this but if you rather private email me and I'll type in the rest of instructions to help you out.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:09 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
Damn it man, not the first thing in the morning! You made me spit up my coffee! Besides, it was Morphius who gave the blue/red pill instructions. But Neo chose wisely.

Coffee burns when it comes out your nose.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 PM
RodJ
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of page 10 in this document, it looks like you have to remove the hoses in order to lift the cover over the heater core/matrix in order to see it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxb4w0y3in...%20removal.pdf

Quick Reply: replacing heater matrix