Sponsored by:

Boxster Won't Go Beyond 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:19 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Won't Go Beyond 2nd

My 2000 Boxster S with 6 speed all of a sudden will not go beyond 2nd. It will do R, 1 and 2. But it physically will not move to the right to get to 3-6. Thoughts?!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I found a post that someone had what sounds like a similar issue and it was the cable that had popped off or broke.

I will investigate that on the weekend. But, I don't think that would explain still being able to go into R.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
I found a post that someone had what sounds like a similar issue and it was the cable that had popped off or broke.

I will investigate that on the weekend. But, I don't think that would explain still being able to go into R.
When the shift cable on my Turbo's 6-speed failed the lever would move all over the place but no gear was selected.

Not being able to move the lever over reads more like something is blocking the lever from moving.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Need to get underneath and examine the shifter cable connections on the side of the gearbox.There are 2 on the 6 speed. Common problem. Pushing them back on may not last....so examine carefully for wear in the cup that fits over the end of the selector lever. Clever placement of a good quality zip tie may help short term.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Macster was right. Something blocking it.

It was a metal sleeve/tube in the end of the cable housing that slid forward and blocked the cable from full motion. I was able to slide the sleeve back into the housing, and put a zip tie just in front of it so that it can't slide again. Someone else used a small hose clamp. I tried that. But if it was tight, it squeezes the housing against the cable and shifting is messed up. If I had the clamp loose enough to allow the cable to slide well, I was worried it wouldn't stay in place. So I did the zip tie. We'll see how long it lasts! There is a small lip there that does hold the zip tie in place. If I had an even smaller hose clamp that might work too.

Quick Reply: Boxster Won't Go Beyond 2nd