Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refreshing Driver Seat with Passenger Seat Parts - which ones are different?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:55 AM
cky3k
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refreshing Driver Seat with Passenger Seat Parts - which ones are different?

I am looking to rebuild the drivers seat in my 2002 Boxster S. I just bought the car in November, and the driver was a heavy guy added to the car being an 02 with 90k, so I need to rebuild the seat.

I had purchased a new seat bottom foam from Suncoast. This part is clearly different. Online research has suggested the the seatbacks of these seats are the same and I can remove and swap them as-is.

With regards to the seat bottoms, I clearly need to swap the electronics from left to right. However, I believe the plastic seat bottoms themselves to be the same. (Do you agree?) (The padding is definitely different)

I have already installed the new foam, but it seems the hammock type bottom of the seat is stretched out beyond repair. There are also plastic parts that are broken which is why I would like to just swap the parts out.

I am wondering if anyone knows what other parts may be different. I am also asking if anyone can help me find links relative to the process of rebuilding these.

Thanks All!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:48 PM
grc0456
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if this helps you, but when I refinished the seats in my 03, the bottom "hammock" support of the driver's seat was nearly ripped in two, causing me to feel like I was sitting in a bucket. My DIY solution was to fashion some plywood shims under the seat to provide support. I also drilled a few holes in surrounding plastic and used parachute cord as a "lace" to hold the shims in place. Sounds pretty Mickey Mouse, I know, but it works perfectly, with just enough flexibility to give a little under the weight of my butt. I'm sure anyone sitting in the seat would never know the difference.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:54 PM
KevinH2000
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had an upholsterer swap the leather from a passenger seat to the driver's seat:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-d...ther-swap.html

The upholsterer who did the work stated that there were some minor differences between the passenger and driver's seat but that he didn't have too much trouble making them fit. So, I think the bottoms are the same. See if you can find a parts diagram and check to see if the part numbers are different.

As you will see in the photos, he had to patch the side of the seat bottom to hide the hole from the seat control. Because I am fairly tall, I keep the seat low and you cannot see the patch under normal conditions.

I have a driver's seat bottom that my have some parts you can use. The leather is not in very good condition, and the foam has turned brown. The plastic is in pretty good shape. Let me know if you would like to see some pictures.

Quick Reply: Refreshing Driver Seat with Passenger Seat Parts - which ones are different?