"Barn Find" 37K Mile '97 Boxster - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:47 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "Barn Find" 37K Mile '97 Boxster - Questions

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1997 Boxster 5 speed with only 37K miles on it. It appears that the car was parked since 2009! It runs and drives great. No visible oil leaks (will investigate further when the car gets here this weekend).

The problem is I have no idea if IMS has been done. Checking CarFax history it does have this:

2004: Engine Checked, Engine cover removed and reinstalled

But of course doesn't say "recall" or anything like that.

What should I check overall when I get the car? Any ways I can check if IMS was replaced or not?

I am new to 986 and this car just fell into my lap so I appreciate all the help!

Last edited by MrSlacker; 07-29-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Tcar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for starters, 1997 Boxsters did not have 6 speeds from the factory. That tranny appeared in 2000 with the Boxster S and the 3.2 L.

So it's a 5 speed with a 2.5 L or it's been diddled with. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

The only way to tell about the IMS is if there is certified paperwork with a serial number for the bearing, or a transmission drop to actually look at the end of the bearing.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcar
Well, for starters, 1997 Boxsters did not have 6 speeds from the factory. That tranny appeared in 2000 with the Boxster S and the 3.2 L.

So it's a 5 speed with a 2.5 L or it's been diddled with. (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

The only way to tell about the IMS is if there is certified paperwork with a serial number for the bearing, or a transmission drop to actually look at the end of the bearing.
My apologies, I meant 5 speed. Edited my original post.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1997 Boxster 6 speed with only 37K miles on it. It appears that the car was parked since 2009! It runs and drives great. No visible oil leaks (will investigate further when the car gets here this weekend).

The problem is I have no idea if IMS has been done. Checking CarFax history it does have this:

2004: Engine Checked, Engine cover removed and reinstalled

But of course doesn't say "recall" or anything like that.

What should I check overall when I get the car? Any ways I can check if IMS was replaced or not?

I am new to 986 and this car just fell into my lap so I appreciate all the help!
You can look at the transmission mounting hardware looking for any signs these have been disturbed. I am not sure what other hardware fasteners are disturbed during an IMSB job but a shop should know and know what to look for.

Back in 2009 was kind of pre-IMSB hysteria so it is very unlikely the IMSB was replaced.

If you feel strongly about this my advice is to have this done by a qualified shop and the sooner the better. Some poor owners have put this off and regretted it.

A 1997 Boxster with a 6-speed? I was not aware the 6-speed showed up until the S appeared and IIRC that was in 2000. (Added: Never mind. I see you edited your post.)

Amazing the car runs at all with 7 year old gasoline in the tank. I wonder if it really sat unused for 7 years?

Regardless, my advice is to replace all vital fluids: engine oil/filter, brake/clutch fluid, the coolant and even the transmission/differential fluid too.

Plugs are due on time.

I'd change the fuel filter, too. I'd be tempted to remove all the old gasoline too and replace it with fresh just to be sure.

Replace the engine air filter and the cabin air filter.

Tires are due to be changed on time. Porsche considers 6 years the change by time for high performance tires.

Doing all of the above kind of starts the car out with all services up to date. You can't know -- well, unless you have the documentation I guess -- what services were done and when but it is unlikely any services were done while the car was confined to the barn.

Be sure the body water drains are free of any trash. Sure, the car was kept in a barn and I assume away from an plants/trees that shed trash, but I would be worried about trash from say rodents.

(As an aside, I'm amazed the car managed to avoid being infested with these critters. I would have thought uncounted generations of mice would have called that car home by now.)

Be sure the radiator ducts are free of trash build up, too. These won't collect anything just sitting but might have stuff from when the car was being used and before it was put away.

Give the A/C system a good work out. I hate to be a doom and gloomer but A/C systems, the seals, do not like to go unused. But maybe these will prove to be ok. All you can do is use the system and if it works ok, fine. If not then you'll have to have the system checked for leaks and any addressed then the system recharged with refrigerant and any missing compressor oil.

You have a bit of work before you can enjoy the car but it is best to I believe bring the services up to date, and deal with old plugs, old tires, and obviously old fluids.

Last edited by Macster; 07-29-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added: "Added"...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Tcar
Track Day

Originally Posted by Macster
You can look at the transmission mounting hardware looking for any signs these have been disturbed. I am not sure what other hardware fasteners are disturbed during an IMSB job but a shop should know and know what to look for.
You cannot rely on that, there are quite a few other reasons that the transmission could be dropped.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:11 AM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

The car made a 250 mile trip without skipping a beat!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tcar
You cannot rely on that, there are quite a few other reasons that the transmission could be dropped.
Yes, you are right. Checking if the transmission and other hardware fasteners have been distrubed is not 100% conclusive the IMSB has been done. I should have thought of this myself as I of course now recall my 2002 has had its transmission out to replace a leaking RMS and to update the IMS end flange and bolts.

Even if the transmission was removed and the IMS end flange bolts checked they would of course appear to have been distrubed not "factory" but the IMSB has *not* been touched.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
The car made a 250 mile trip without skipping a beat!
Well, that's great news, but I'm frankly surprised after 7 years of no use the engine still runs. The gasoline goes off or worse in less time. I came upon a neglected 993 that had sat for just a couple of years and the gasoline had gelled in the fuel lines and injectors and the entire fuel system from tank to injectors had to be replaced.

You really should consider -- do imho -- a round of vital fluid services. And I would advise you do the filters too. In fact I refer you to my first post for what I think should be done.

You have been fortunate in finding I guess based on your posts a low miles car for I guess a good price but there are things, services, that should be done to ensure the car doesn't suffer from damage due to degraded vital fluids.

And you don't want to risk an old tire failing. The tires were probably not new when the car was parked and it apparently has been parked 7 years so the tires are way past their change by date.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:08 PM
leo1977
Instructor

just my 5 cents, and I am no expert by any means, but I was under the impression that pre 2000 IMS bearing was of a better quality and has a much lower failure rate. I thought that included model years 1997,98 and 99. I can be mistaken of course.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Tcar
Track Day

Originally Posted by leo1977
just my 5 cents, and I am no expert by any means, but I was under the impression that pre 2000 IMS bearing was of a better quality and has a much lower failure rate. I thought that included model years 1997,98 and 99. I can be mistaken of course.
Yes, first 3 years had a dual row IMS bearing, and the bearings were larger.

During 99 and 2000 they changed to a single row bearing with smaller bearings!
Why????

Not all 99's had dual row and not all 2000's had single row, though.

All 97's had dual row... unless... maybe the engine was replaced by Porsche or others for warranty or ????
Old 08-10-2016, 06:35 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There are people around these forums who drove early boxsters to several hundred thousand miles without even knowing about the IMSB problem.

But there is also the rear main seal (RMS) to consider which is probably more vulnerable to simple aging over time (as opposed to mileage).

You could plan for a clutch change and while the transmission is dropped check the IMSB. If you want it replaced based on what you find you overnight a bearing.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:49 PM
Tcar
Track Day

Also, statistically, the car sitting or being driven rarely seems to increase the chance IMSB failure.

Cars driven regularly and sportily, seem to do better.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced the IMS on mine ('99) at 90K. It needed a clutch so why not do it for peace of mind. The original bearing was a dual row bearing and was just fine. Do I regret spending the money on a new, properly engineered bearing. I sleep better at night.

I might add that mine is a daily driver and I drive it with "gusto" as Ferdie would have wanted...

Quick Reply: "Barn Find" 37K Mile '97 Boxster - Questions