Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to install a 996 3.4 or 3.6 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Heck - is it possible to install new 3.8 from 997S into Boxster S

Just thinking of the future.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:29 AM
box3.4L
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too would recommend the 3.4l conversion with my car i changed the gearbox and the the drive shaftd as well as rear carriers etc i fitted a starr performance exhaust from australia with a cold air intake using the bmc cda unit my car is very strong in the gears , the only problem is that first and 2nd in the box feeling a touch short and reving out before you get the chance to really use the extra performance . the car will readily turn 285 yokohama AO48R tyres and has the kind of performance that shatters the jap import lot no matter how much boost they thow at there engines
it returns around 10.5 ltr per 100 kilometeres
this seems fairly good considering that the car runs around 360 hp at the flywheel or 264 at the rears on australian dynos in 4th gear
a porsche salesman drove the car and was impressed with its driveability and smoothness and said he was being critical as he expected a rough riding unrefined drive train with noise vibration issues that would soon drive it driver crazy but was really surprised
if you have a boxster and would like to spice it up this is an excellent way of improving your car
greg
Old 12-26-2004, 03:25 PM
Link-X
Track Day

I have a 3.6l turbo motor that is available to me...I was dreaming of putting it into a old boxster, but looks like I'd be getting in way over my head.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:32 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Link-X
I have a 3.6l turbo motor that is available to me...I was dreaming of putting it into a old boxster, but looks like I'd be getting in way over my head.
You may want to contact Stephen Kasper (Owner of Imagine Auto). I have been hearing stories about him installing a 996 Turbo engine into a Boxster. I don't believe its complete yet, but he may be able to help you decide if its worth the effor or not
Evan
Old 12-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Link-X
Track Day

Thanks Evan. It appears that we're neighbors. I live in Mirabella (Mirasol) in Palm Beach Gardens! If I get to the next stage of seriousness, I'll give you a ring. My 420hp 930 Speedster should be done any day now, so I'll want to play with that a bit before digging into this project. Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2004, 04:09 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Thanks Evan. It appears that we're neighbors. I live in Mirabella (Mirasol) in Palm Beach Gardens! If I get to the next stage of seriousness, I'll give you a ring. My 420hp 930 Speedster should be done any day now, so I'll want to play with that a bit before digging into this project. Happy New Year!
Yes we are neighbors, we almost moved there, but ended up in San Michele. We did so because we used to live in Addison Reserve in Boca (Sister development to Mirasol) and hated it...
ANYWAY, the 930 sounds sweet!! We do many many 3.4L conversions on Boxsters here in FL (I believe we are up to about 40 now that have been done in house) so if you go that route we can help. If you do go for the 996TT engine, I am sure we would be willing to take a look and see what could be done also
Evan
Old 12-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Link-X
Track Day

Agreed about Mirasol. The Mirabella adjunct is mostly young people with a kid's clubhouse, etc. I have 2-year-old triplets, who dig the covered playground and kids clubhouse.

I really wish I had bought into Evergreene. That place is incredible. We have some 'retired' 35-year-old friends who live there...it's a total resort complete with dual hot tubs overlooking a mini beach.

On another topic, I'm the director of engineering for Mosler Supercars. We're certified as of 5 days ago. If you have any customers who want something radical (carbon-fiber chassis, huge downforce, 2400lbs, up to 560hp), send them down. It'll whip a Carerra GT for less than half the price ($172k). My email is twagner@moslerauto.com.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:50 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Agreed about Mirasol. The Mirabella adjunct is mostly young people with a kid's clubhouse, etc. I have 2-year-old triplets, who dig the covered playground and kids clubhouse.

I really wish I had bought into Evergreene. That place is incredible. We have some 'retired' 35-year-old friends who live there...it's a total resort complete with dual hot tubs overlooking a mini beach.

On another topic, I'm the director of engineering for Mosler Supercars. We're certified as of 5 days ago. If you have any customers who want something radical (carbon-fiber chassis, huge downforce, 2400lbs, up to 560hp), send them down. It'll whip a Carerra GT for less than half the price ($172k). My email is twagner@moslerauto.com.
Wow very cool I have heard of Mosler!! I will keep that in mind and might have to visit one day and see a car (Where are you guys located??)!! I will get the price for you ASAP that you asked about on the phone, sorry I was out of the office!!
Evan
Old 12-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Link-X
Track Day

Default Mosler

We're at 2391 Old Dixie Hwy, Riviera Beach - the murder capital of Florida! The photo below is of our maching pulling 1.7g's at Moroso with a wheel rate of about 250 lb/in. We have a Link-X suspension on it so it has zero body roll and dive, but squishy soft ride. It's pretty wild. We also have the suspension on a Expedition that defies phyisics.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2004, 10:25 AM
HBacura
Racer

Thumbs up

We're at 2391 Old Dixie Hwy, Riviera Beach - the murder capital of Florida! The photo below is of our maching pulling 1.7g's at Moroso with a wheel rate of about 250 lb/in. We have a Link-X suspension on it so it has zero body roll and dive, but squishy soft ride. It's pretty wild. We also have the suspension on a Expedition that defies phyisics.

Wow, do you have anymore pics
Old 01-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Link-X
Track Day

The website for the MT900 is www.MT900.com. I don't have much more of the Link-X version, however. You should see lots of it next year in the magazines.

Question: How much power can I put through a Boxster's Tiptronic transmission? Could I go 500hp twin turbo?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alienz
How much does it cost for a brand new 2.5L engine?
I just called my dealership (since my 2.5 just seized and I'm looking at this 3.4 conversion ) and they said "right around twenty grand".
Old 02-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

yeesh, I just got exposed the Boxster world and haven't even got the car yet and you guys are already starting to make me drool with 996/986 hybrids
Old 02-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I just called my dealership (since my 2.5 just seized and I'm looking at this 3.4 conversion ) and they said "right around twenty grand".
Hard to believe a new 2.5L costs that much for the engine. Are they quoting installation in that price as well?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 AM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
That must have been a mistake!! A 996 Turbo engine is somwhere just north of that, a 2.5L Boxster engine is less than 10K last I checked. The 3.4L engine is around 12K so I can't imagine the 2.5L would be more (esp. that much!!)
Evan

Quick Reply: Possible to install a 996 3.4 or 3.6 engine?