Sponsored by:

120,000 mile / 12-year maintenance cost on 2004 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:04 PM
CalBoxster
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120,000 mile / 12-year maintenance cost on 2004 Boxster S

Sharing my experience here as my searching on this and other forums didn't get me exactly the info I was looking for.

I've got a 2004 Boxster S, which due to the low annual mileage (35k total) has been serviced by calendar rather than mileage interval. The Northern CA dealer where I've gotten it serviced says it needs a 12-year maintenance which will cost an estimated $3,200, which really surprised me.

I had a "major maintenance" four years ago at 30k miles which cost about $1,200. Based on searching this and other forums that cost seems about right for a dealer.

According to the dealer, I now need a 12-year maintenance which includes the "major maintenance," plus transmission service (draining and replacing the tranny oil, not sure what else, normally done at 90k miles), the Polyrib belt (normally done at 60k), serpentine belt and fuel filter, along with the usual checks and adjustments. I was told that unlike the 30k service which can be done from below the car, this requires more disassembly of the engine compartment, among other reasons for the high cost.

Assuming that I use a Bay Area dealer for service, does $3,200 seem within the realm of reason? (After questioning the cost, I was offered a 10% discount.)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:15 PM
elansam
Intermediate

I believe replacing all fluids tranny, diff, brake fluid, engine oil. Plus serp belt plugs and coils and filters. Find a local Indy and I think that should cost you about 2kish. Just got mine done at under 2k.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is suggesting the 90k service which is the most comprehensive. I had that done on my '01S at 42k just so I'd know where things stood. He did the belt but said the hoses were lifetime and didn't suggest I do them even though I was willing. Coolant was replaced as was the brake fluid and TI fluid. Plugs, seals, coils. My indie charged about $2.5k and another k wheel for 4 pads, rotors, fluid. I don't know of anything your dealer is suggesting that causes more top down work. I don't hear AOS, water pump, motor mounts, etc. I also don't see RMS, IMS. The belt is easy access behind the seats. Is he also doing an alignment?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CalBoxster
Sharing my experience here as my searching on this and other forums didn't get me exactly the info I was looking for.

I've got a 2004 Boxster S, which due to the low annual mileage (35k total) has been serviced by calendar rather than mileage interval. The Northern CA dealer where I've gotten it serviced says it needs a 12-year maintenance which will cost an estimated $3,200, which really surprised me.

I had a "major maintenance" four years ago at 30k miles which cost about $1,200. Based on searching this and other forums that cost seems about right for a dealer.

According to the dealer, I now need a 12-year maintenance which includes the "major maintenance," plus transmission service (draining and replacing the tranny oil, not sure what else, normally done at 90k miles), the Polyrib belt (normally done at 60k), serpentine belt and fuel filter, along with the usual checks and adjustments. I was told that unlike the 30k service which can be done from below the car, this requires more disassembly of the engine compartment, among other reasons for the high cost.

Assuming that I use a Bay Area dealer for service, does $3,200 seem within the realm of reason? (After questioning the cost, I was offered a 10% discount.)
My SOP is to avoid the "by the book" service interval and its list of things to have done and create a custom list based on what my car has had done before.

AFAIK there is no change on time call out for the transmission/diff fluids.

However, I would have this done just because. I don't know about S but the labor to do this on my 2002 Boxster (base) is 0.3 hours. The fluid is pricey around $40/liter and I think the S will need a full 3 liters. I have used the Porsche fluid and my 2002 Boxster's transmission has covered over 300K trouble free miles so I don't think the $40/liter fluid is necessarily throwing away money. There might be other fluids just as good -- although Porsche doesn't specifiy any -- but I don't care to use my car as a test vehicle to try to find one.

Plugs can be due to be changed on time. I would have this done.

If the coils look ok -- and you have not experienced any CEL and misfire error codes -- they probably are ok there is no need to change these. The coils on my 2002 are original.

The engine air filter and cabin air filter can be changed. The cabin filter can devleop an off odor that only replacement can cure.

My 2002 doesn't have a servicable fuel filter. I do not recall Porsche going back to serviceable fuel filter in the later model Boxsters. The filter is part of the in-tank fuel pump and its housing/enclosure.

If there are no leaks -- RMS, engine camshaft covers, spark plug tubes, water pump, etc., there is no need to touch those areas.

The brake/clutch fluid should be flushed and bled. This is due every 2 years and my experience is letting this go even 2.5 years can affect the clutch action and shifting (due to the effect the old fluid can have on the clutch action).

I'd have the coolant drained and refilled with a fresh blend of antifreeze and distilled water. The dealer shop is set up for this.

'course, the engine oil and filter should be replaced. I do this or have it done every 5K miles on both my Porsches.

AFAIK there is no need to disassemble anything in the engine compartment other than possibly some very minor disassembly to replace the engine air filter. (For my 2002 I have to put the top in the service position, remove the panels that cover the engine, then unclip/pull out a plastic tray that holds the engine air filter. Later models might even be a bit simpler to change.)

The serpentine belt is due to be changed on time. This is done via inside the cabin with the removal of the carpet on the panel behind the seats then the removal of the panel. Doesn't take long. If the belt has sharp edges this is a sign an accessory drive has excessive bearing play and should be ID'd and replaced. A check of bearing play should be made. Most often the culprit, if there is one, is the water pump.

If the tires are worn out -- down the wear bars -- these should be replaced. If the tires are not worn evenly the car should receive an alignment. Just in case be sure the fuel tank is full when you take the car in as the fuel tank being full is a "prerequisite" for an alignment.

If the tires are more than 6 years old they should be replaced. Porsche states in the owners manual and in the factory service manuals tires are considered past their use by date at 6 years.

$3200 -- or less with a 10% discount seems a bit high for this amount of work. But at $150/hour labor (or possibly more at some bay area dealers) and the big prices charged for parts/supplies (in part high because Porsche has no deal with a shipper and uses a number of different ones to expedite the arrival of the shipping items to the dealer -- my local dealer SM tells me sometimes they can get 3 or 4 deliveries per day and each from a different shipper) servicing is not cheap on these cars.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:41 PM
CalBoxster
2nd Gear

Thanks to all for the helpful replies, and especially to Macster for the detailed rundown, which will be a great future resource on multiple issues.

Quick Reply: 120,000 mile / 12-year maintenance cost on 2004 Boxster S