Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016 | 07:13 PM
2002sheds
Instructor

Hi Kurt,
Awesome points! I am definitely early in my driver's education (even at age 55). My ("lowly" base Cayenne has more power (especially in Sport Mode) than I will ever likely need, so it is easy for me to get what you are saying about the potential to be gained as my skills improve.
There are many, many more base models of the Boxster available in this market, and quite a few of them look as if they are in very nice condition.
For me this will be much more about a "wind in our hair" experience than sheer horsepower, as I will often use the car to take our kid to school and pick him up . He is 9, and already picks out different Porsche models as we drive Part of my goal is to buy a Boxster that he can eventually drive, if he wants it...
Thanks again for sharing your perspective -- it is helping a LOT !
Old 05-13-2016 | 11:43 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

What I was trying to say is that the 5sp shifts better than the 6sp. It could be just my car but I hate the balky shifting in my S. Once it warms up it is better but not as nice as the non-S. Power-wise the S has a lot more grunt but my "beat the snot out of the car days" are done. The non-S was more than adequate.
Old 05-13-2016 | 11:51 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

On further consideration, if I were you I'd make sure to get a vehicle with factory Litronics. For me that was the mandatory option. They were not available in 1997 on my first Boxster.
Old 05-14-2016 | 02:03 AM
2002sheds
Instructor

Hi Mt,
Thanks very much. What are Litronics? I am narrowing in on 1999 (probably a base model) as a very strong possibility. Would they have Litronics as a feature that year?
Old 05-14-2016 | 05:03 AM
mtgadbois
Racer

Dave,

Litronics are the headlights. The red Boxster in my picture has Litronics (HIDs) and here is a picture I took at the Parade of a GT2. It has Litronics. Note the HID light in the center. It is a much brighter light than the regular sealed beams. If I remember correctly, on high beams the lights shift upward and with some cars the lights will turn with the steering wheel. Don't remember if it does on my Boxster.

Old 05-14-2016 | 10:36 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
Dave,

Litronics are the headlights. The red Boxster in my picture has Litronics (HIDs) and here is a picture I took at the Parade of a GT2. It has Litronics. Note the HID light in the center. It is a much brighter light than the regular sealed beams. If I remember correctly, on high beams the lights shift upward and with some cars the lights will turn with the steering wheel. Don't remember if it does on my Boxster.

I have a 2000 base boxster with Litronics and they don't turn and aim with the steering. I think that only shows up in the much higher and newer models.
Another advantage to the Litronics is they don't burn and yellow the interior of the headlight assembly the way the halogen lights do. It seems that most cars with the halogens have noticeable yellowing going on inside them and I don't think there is any way to get inside and repair. It's purely visual but doesn't look nice IMO.

1995 993 Cab Guards Red
2000 Boxster Guards Red
Old 05-14-2016 | 11:08 PM
2002sheds
Instructor

Hi Guys,
Great to know, and something I had not considered earlier. This forum is great!

I am closing in on 1999 as a strong possibility in terms of what model year I concentrate on, although I am open to suggestion. I will say that there seem to be a ton of 99 models available in my market, and they are in my price range.
Since I intend to replace the IMS bearing (if it hasn't already been) anyway, is there a benefit to say, a 1999 over a different year that is not too far off? From what I can tell, 1999 through 2002 are the model years that are most likely that I could afford and still have a reserve for needed repairs.
Old 05-15-2016 | 09:00 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Default Which one?

Given a choice and comparable condition, I'd go with the newer one every time.

Documented service history on a car vs one without would trump also.

Have you found a good independent shop yet? Probably worth talking to them about your interests. I found a couple of the Porsche's I bought from mechanic referrals. My son did that- talked to four different mechanics I've trusted over the past 25 years and bought a Boxster from one of the techs
Old 05-15-2016 | 11:49 AM
2002sheds
Instructor

Hi Grrrrr,
Great advice. Yes, there is a Porsche-trained indy here that I would take the prospective car to. It had not occurred to me that he could also be a source for a "new" vehicle... good point !
Based on all of the amazing feedback I have received here, it seems as if the 1999 to 2003 model years will be the target zone. I will have the IMS bearing replaced as well as the Air Oil Separator (if they are not already done), and enjoy the open road!
The two cars that I have test-driven were 1999 base models. They were definitely not the fastest cars I have driven, but they were an absolute blast.
Thank you all for such great perspective and practical advice!
Old 05-16-2016 | 12:33 AM
KurtF
Rennlist Member

David

As far as the IMS, like the 996, the earlier car (1999) I believe had the double row bearing which rarely failed. Some time in the 2000 model they switched to a single row bearing which reportedly had the bulk of failures through MY 2005.
Old 05-16-2016 | 02:06 AM
2002sheds
Instructor

Hi Kurt,
Signs keep pointing towards the 1999 model year :-)
Old 05-16-2016 | 04:36 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Do not forget, we are all different.
Try to think what YOU like.

Just to show that we are all different: In my case, I would NEVER buy a Boxster "non S".
I have a 2001 with a 3.2 L engine, and I miss power, (and, I also do miss (great) brakes) !
This chassis is so great (much better behavior than any 911, ..I had many 911, non stop as daily for 30 years), that in my feeling, on a Boxster, I want as much juice as I can.

In my car, I spent some efforts to remove weight, (now about -7%) in order to get a better use of the available power, but, this is not so easy (i.e.: battery, roof, seats, wheels..). I also used some of the "cheap tricks" to get a few more ponies (i.e.: IPD intake, throttle box, intake line, 4" underdrive pulley..)
But, ..I still feel that the chassis is underpowered !

I think that the best Boxster of all time, ..is the latest Boxster Spyder.
(A great 3.8 liter with 385hp, the best brakes, i.e.: the 6 pistons caliper in the front, and not like a 911 : the Boxster engine IS at the RIGHT place.)

The thing to know is that adding power "after" on a car is a very expensive and difficult thing to do.
So, imo, better to be right right at the beginning and have much as you can get, for finally "not much" $ difference, at the moment you buy it on the current (used) market. (In my case, I MUCH prefer and older "S" than a "newer" base model.)

Sure, if you want to use it for easy rides around town, without any strong demand on the right foot, then, I suppose a base model will be fine. But again, this chassis is absolutely gorgeous, so, IMO it is too bad to have one that is even more underpowered !

Again, we are all different.
..My two cents !
Old 05-16-2016 | 11:31 AM
2002sheds
Instructor

Hi GVA,
I love your attitude, and, like I said before, you have probably forgotten more about these cars than I'll ever know.
From your previous posts, I gather that you have been enjoying more or less the same weather as we have up here in Cow Country (Sonoma County). The allure of the Boxster is obvious when you get to enjoy the scenery as much as we do in warm weather.
I keep telling myself that speed is not all that important (especially at age 55), and that it is about cruising and enjoying that beautiful scenery.
I just wish my right foot would get the message... ;-)
Old 05-16-2016 | 01:55 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Hello 2002sheds,
Yes, we are all different, so, getting the choice influenced by others could be "tricky" !
By the way, ..note that I have 10 more than you !!
(and still love to go on tracks !)

Imo, you should also consider a 911 (a Cab).. The 996 are super great cars, and you can find many, at prices that are very attractive. These Cab exists in "S" and "non S", and also in "2" and "4" (wheel drive), so you have a lot of choices.
The big advantage of the Boxster is in my view the chassis architecture. (THE reason why I got a Boxster.)
But, a 911 has another great advantage : it is a GREAT compromise car, having the engine far in the back, it gives great room in the back of the cabin.
I had many 911’s for this exact reason.

By the way, in term of cost of ownership, frankly, I do no think it makes any differences !
Good luck in your search
Old 04-24-2019 | 03:28 PM
986_4_AX
1st Gear

2002sheds: inquiring minds want to know! What did you end up with? I see we are three years from this original thread - how did it go? What, if any, repairs have you done? I found this thread VERY helpful as I start to explore the wonderful world of the 986. Would love an update!
Thanks to everyone for the amazing information - taking this to heart and going shopping!

Quick Reply: Which one?