Sponsored by:

Big power in a Boxster -- how?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Investigator
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big power in a Boxster -- how?

I'm thinking about building a special-purpose race car out of a Boxster. My problem is that although I know a lot about doing this sort of project, I don't know a lot about what works with what in the Porsche world.

If you wanted to build a 350hp Boxster (let's say, 300+ at the wheels), how would you do it? Seems that the TPC supercharger even on a Boxster S motor doesn't get you that high (it has a disappointing 30hp gain on the 3.2L.)

Could you do it with a Boxster S motor, supercharger, and a lot of aftermarket fuel injection stuff? How about intake, headers, exhaust? Is that motor just not capable of making that kind of power? Does anyone else make a more capable supercharger kit for these cars?

If not, I guess you would you need to swap in a 996 motor (much more money and trouble.) Going that route, what's the easiest and cheapest way to get this kind of horsepower?

Also: how much weight can be saved in a Boxster through the easy stuff? Carbon fiber hood/fenders, lightweight race seats ... how light have you all seen a Boxster get?

Does anyone know of anybody with a car along these lines? A race Boxster, not a fun street car or a show car ...

I know some of you have been dreaming of building the ultimate boxster with both power and handling ... share with me how you'd get there!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 PM
ettsn
Pro

If it's a track-only car, buy an old 2.5 Boxster, swap in a 3.4 from an early 996, swap to some nice headers (GHL for example), toss the cats or swap to 100 cell cats and upgrade the software. You should be over 350hp easy, and done right the whole car could be done well under $30k. Be sure to upgrade the 2.5 brakes to 996 brakes (same as Boxster S) and strip out all the stuff you don't need. Enjoy!

-Paul
Old 09-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

INVESTIGATOR

A picture is worth a thousand words....

RED = 3.4 conversion
BLUE = supercharged Boxster S
YELLOW = Boxster S with intake & exhaust
GREEN = Boxster S standard

Ignore the actual power figures, Our DYNO DYNAMICS dynos give a low reading compared to DYNO JET dynos

A local Porsche race car driver has a 3.4 Boxster as his personal drive car.
On a recent club track day, only the GT3 on slicks was ahead of him - and there was nothing in it
Old 09-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I dont suppose a twin turbo x50 engine will readily mate. If not what would it take to couple the twin turbo and tip into a boxster?
Old 09-28-2003, 04:14 PM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think a 3.6 /380 h.p. motor out of a GT3 street car would be an ideal choice.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:44 AM
ettsn
Pro

The GT3 motor would be a serious project to mate into a Boxster. The 3.4 is a bolt-in.

-Paul
Old 09-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

unfortunately the 3.6 GT3 motor is very different to the 3.4
It is not a straight forward conversion
Old 09-29-2003, 08:09 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

A Boxster becoming a race car is becoming more and more popular. Kokeln Racing has finished theirs and are beginning to campaign it with POC. There's a local guy here that is getting his Boxster ready for POC racing. I might be building one myself pretty soon.

I suppose the big question is which club and which class do you want to be in? One of the reasons I am not going to race my S is because it will bump me into a class where it will cost me an arm and a leg to be competitive. However, a non-S Boxster (2.5 or 2.7) could be competitive in almost stock trim in its class (at least so I am told).

If you want to buy a Boxster already put together Speed Source is selling one of theirs (#67). They are still running #68 in the Grand-Am Cup series and have won 3 races this year (I think) with it. So I know it can be done with a Boxster. Its a bit steep for my budget at the moment, but as they say it's always better to buy than build.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:30 PM
strudel
Racer

I thought the GT3 motor would be a better choice than the twin turbo motor. Budget not being an issue.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by strudel
I thought the GT3 motor would be a better choice than the twin turbo motor. Budget not being an issue.
For a track car, Yep
Old 09-29-2003, 09:48 PM
strudel
Racer

I figured street & track using the street GT3 motor. Also doing the necessary suspension, brake, tire upgrade.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:12 AM
dbelleperc
Racer

And you could also supercharge the 3.4 engine.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

3.4 Conversion is the ticket. Here is info on mine. It is a street car so I still have cats and kept stock muffler for sound and appearance. I LOVE this car more every day I drive it.

3.6 is also possible but would be more expensive because of egas upgrade. Most cost effective engine opton is a 99 3.4 litre & if you have the bling drop on a set of Garrett ball bearing Turbos.

http://dlewis1340.home.mchsi.com/
Old 10-01-2003, 01:28 AM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

You don't mention what it cost to do the engine swap. Would you tell us?

Originally posted by Boxster 3.4
3.4 Conversion is the ticket. Here is info on mine. It is a street car so I still have cats and kept stock muffler for sound and appearance. I LOVE this car more every day I drive it.

3.6 is also possible but would be more expensive because of egas upgrade. Most cost effective engine opton is a 99 3.4 litre & if you have the bling drop on a set of Garrett ball bearing Turbos.

http://dlewis1340.home.mchsi.com/
Old 10-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Great Home page on the conversion......I can take it ; tell; us what the conversion cost, or did I miss it?

Quick Reply: Big power in a Boxster -- how?