Sponsored by:

Vibration starting at 3500 rpm in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 07:13 PM
joegoggans
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Vibration starting at 3500 rpm in 5th gear

I have a 1998 Boxster with 40k miles. I just noticed a vibration, not real bad, starting a 3500 rpm in 5th gear. Can not feel it in any other gear,
Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by joegoggans
I have a 1998 Boxster with 40k miles. I just noticed a vibration, not real bad, starting a 3500 rpm in 5th gear. Can not feel it in any other gear,
How old are the tires?

Could be the tires have worn enough to go out of balance. In this case one only feels the vibration at highway speed and 3500 in 5th is highway speed.

Another possible explanation is a wheel has lost a weight. The tape on weights can come loose if the wheel surface was not properly prepped before applying and if one is a bit injudicious with the water hose or DIY car wash wand.

Wouldn't hurt though to from under the car inspect the car or have it inspected to make sure the engine/transmission mounts are OK, along with the CV joints (and the dust boots are intact).

How's tire wear? Depending upon what you see alignment could be off. But tire imbalance is the more common cause. But tire inflation pressures should be checked and corrected. Just a few PSI overinflation of the front tires caused my 2002 Boxster to manifest a vibration at highway speed.

Quick Reply: Vibration starting at 3500 rpm in 5th gear